OXO Santoku knife

A few years back Scott bought me a Wustof Classic Chef’s knife and ever since we’ve been scrambling to be the first to grab it when we cook dinner together. I finally got a second knife so chopping vegetables will cease to be a competitive event around here. I got an OXO 6.5 inch Santoku knife, it’s sharp and inexpensive and has those hollow areas to allow food to fall away from the sides of the knife and at the shorter length it feels nicely whippy. Peace has been restored to our household.

· comments [11] · 01-26-2009 · categories:food · shopping ·

• 1 Astrid // Jan 26, 2009 at 10:58 am

We have both the chef’s knife ($$$) and the Santuko knife (cheap). There is generally a battle on who will get to use the Santuko!

• 2 paola // Jan 26, 2009 at 11:02 am

I would have just let Scott chop the vegetables…

• 3 Sandra // Jan 26, 2009 at 11:14 am

I bet it’s a great *santoku* knife. I think both my favorites are *santoku* knives!

• 4 Megan // Jan 26, 2009 at 11:28 am

I hate santoku knives (although that one looks ok because of the curve of the blade), but one of my favorites is an OXO chefs knife I picked up at Marshall’s several years ago. I use it as often if not more than my Wustof.

• 5 megan // Jan 26, 2009 at 11:29 am

Oops, thanks for the spelling correction Sandra, this is what I get for typing out morning entries pre-coffee.

• 6 Craftastic // Jan 26, 2009 at 3:39 pm

I love that peace has been restored through cutlery. I wonder if salad tongs could achieve as much.

• 7 Amelia // Jan 26, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Fighting to use a knife is way better than using a knife to fight, but I guess just having two knives is best of all.

• 8 Cinnamon // Jan 26, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Some very wonderful friends gave me a gift certificate to a local cookware shop. I kept eyeing the Porsche Santoku knife and putting it aside because it felt too spendy and we’re “economizing”. But because what I really wanted was the knife I couldn’t bring myself to buy anything else. Delicously my Xmas prezzie was a gift-certificate for the balance needed to buy the knife. And I’m so glad we did. Not just because it makes chopping vegetables such a satisfying experience, but because there is no longer pouty waiting while one of us watches the other use the chef’s knife. Now we fight over who gets to chop the veggies. :)

• 9 phillygirl64 // Jan 27, 2009 at 11:01 am

I have a Cuisinart one that I picked up just to have one, but for knives I usually get Forschners w/Fibrox handles

• 10 renaissancetrophywife // Jan 27, 2009 at 2:15 pm

I love santokus! Mine is actually a Dexter Russell that I got for around $25 at a commercial kitchen store. Initially I’d gone to pick up a nice name-brand one at 4x the price, but the very helpful associate told me that the DR brand is really popular among culinary students and excellent value. I can’t complain about mine at all, it’s fabulous!

• 11 cindy // Jan 29, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Last month I picked up the OXO 6.5″ Santoku and 8″ Chef’s knives. They’re a really nice weight, sharp, and the comfort grip feels good in the hand.

Can you recommend a knife guard for OXO knives? All of my other knives (serrated, paring, utility) are all Kuhn Rikon nonstick because I love the sheaths they come with :-).