links: misc

inauguration:

Lifehacker’s Guide to Catching the Inauguration from Anywhere

What time will it be when Obama takes the Oath on Tuesday? at Ask Metafilter

My Dinners with Dubya at Vanity Fair

other:

What’s the most unique feature you’ve ever seen in a bar or pub? at Ask Metafilter. There is a bar is Portland, the Triple Nickel Pub, that has a giant game of Jenga made out of lengths of 2x3s, it stands about six feet high. As people walk past they pull out a piece. I really want to return so we can stay long enough to watch it come crashing down.

Dutch canals freeze for the first time in twelve years at Neatorama. I’d really like to ice skate on a Dutch canal!

Your personal moon, at Magpie & Cake

What’s your favorite two-person game? at Ask Metafilter

I spend most of my work day listening to interview and essay type radio shows on the internet. What else would you recommend I listen to? at Ask Metafilter

· comments [9] · 01-19-2009 · categories:misc ·

• 1 Carolyn // Jan 19, 2009 at 3:36 pm

The articles about the canals in the Netherlands are charming, but also really confused. It used to be way more common for the canals to freeze back during the Little Ice Age, but for the last few centuries it hasn’t been widespread every winter. And bringing up the story Hans Brinker is irritating to Dutch people because it was written by an English woman who had never, ever been there and she got some things pretty screwy.

In modern times, it’s not as though canals never freeze; many do farther inland. I saw people skating on smaller ones in 2001 near Lisse (closer to the coast). And the Eleven Cities Tour (Elfstedentocht) race, which is held in a more northern part of the country, tends to only happen every 12 or so years when enough canals freeze thickly enough along the whole route.

Still, it is charming to read of people skating around Gouda and so on. I’ll bet it was lovely.

• 2 michelle // Jan 20, 2009 at 5:00 am

Perhaps not quite as pretty as some Dutch canals, but you can skate on a Canadian one:

I can vouch that it’s cool experience!

• 3 dawn // Jan 20, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Something’s fishy about the askmetafilter post about a bar in Portland with Jenga. It’s not there anymore. Too bad. I loved Portland on my northwest US trip a few years ago and thought when I get the chance to do it again (was hoping this year), I’d stop in at the bar. Do you know the bar personally?

• 4 megan // Jan 20, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Dawn – Sorry to confuse you, the Jenga story is my own, the Ask Metafilter thread just reminded me about it.

• 5 Carrie // Jan 21, 2009 at 8:03 am

My husband and I have also been on a recent hunt for good 2 player games. I, like the others in that thread, highly recommend Carcassone, as well as Bannangrams. My sister and her finace are obsessed with Hive, which they got recommended to them by some game store in Queen Anne (I think?). We love Settlers of Catan, so we’ve started playing the two person card game, which is pretty fun. It can take a while, so our dining room table is now often littered with paused games.

Another good resource for finding games is the Board Game Geek forums. Our new goal is to find a fun game that works both with two players, as well as 4 or more. Sorry if I’ve rambled on a bit, it’s just that link is quite timely with our recent household discussions. :)

• 6 dawn // Jan 23, 2009 at 2:36 pm

What IS the name of the bar in Portland with Jenga? Unless you want to keep it on the down-low. I’m not planning to visit in the immediate future but I might be going within the year.

• 7 megan // Jan 23, 2009 at 7:10 pm

Gah, I cannot remember the name of the bar. I do remember that whoever sent us to it also couldn’t remember and he said something like “three nickles”, so I think the bar name is has something to do with 15 cents. When I have more time I’ll try to look it up.

• 8 megan // Jan 24, 2009 at 10:54 am

Ok, I was remembering it in reverse, the name of the bar is the Triple Nickel Pub on Belmont Street. It was wonderfully divey.

• 9 sarah // Jan 24, 2009 at 11:52 am

A few weekends ago there were people skating everywhere around here. I read that over a million pairs of skates were sold in Holland alone & that they were all sold out everywhere.

The canals around my apartment have returned completely back to just plain ole water now.