seeking advice from the frequently pierced

I’m trying to get my ears to get used to earrings again after ten years of not wearing them. I bought some studs the other weekend and managed to get them through the holes in my earlobes which, shockingly, hadn’t closed up in all that time. There wasn’t even any blood. But now it’s getting more and more painful to put in earrings after about two earring-less days have gone by, I suspect my earlobes are conspiring against me and trying to heal over. So, I think I need to retrain. When I got pierced, back in middle school, I was given a solution to soak around the earrings and then I had to turn them once or twice a day. What should I use for that, rubbing alcohol? peroxide? (Turns out both of those are to be avoided.) Anybody have any tips on encouraging my newly reused holes to stay open?

update: Thank you so much to everybody who left advice. It seems the consensus is that I need to buy nickel-less hoops (more comfortable to sleep in) from a piercing place in a starter gauge and leave them in for at least two weeks. To keep it clean a soak in saltwater (1/4 teaspoon to 1 up hot water) as many times a day as I need. Extra thanks go to Christine who left this link to the aftercare guidelines from the Association of Professional Piercers.

· comments [67] · 01-7-2009 · categories:mumbling ·

• 1 j // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Leave the earrings in for two weeks straight. The peroxide solution was to prevent infection of the bloody ear lobe holes the first time; not necessary now.

• 2 Sonja Chandler // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:23 pm

You are doing all the right things. Peroxide and spinning. That is all I know to do.

Found your site yesterday. It’s great. Thanks for all the great ideas.

• 3 Amanda // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Liquid Bactine morning and night. When trying to get my second holes used to earrings again I put bactine on them with a q-tip, slid the earring in so the liquid was sure to go through the entire hold, then ever so sterile-y [is that a word?] used tweezers to stick the post of the earrings in Vaseline and slid them into my ears. I’m not talking goops of Vaseline; just enough to keep it good and moist in there.

• 4 mar // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Some sort of antibiotic ointment (like neosporin – I buy the store brand!) is good. Also some vitamin E ointment is good.

Try wires instead of posts – I found them less irritating when I went through the process. I can’t sleep in posts, and even wires or hoops can irritate me, but it might be worth it for a few days to help them “remember”. Also, believe it or not, in one of my sets of holes (I have 3 in one ear and 2 in the other) I can’t wear 14 kt. gold for more than a day or so – but the bottom holes, no problem. Go figure! So switch metals – if you’re using silver, try gold or visa versa.

Good luck! What made you decide to wear earrings again after 10 years?

• 5 Sue // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Keep them in all the time and don’t take them out to sleep/shower, etc. After a few weeks I would guess your ears would have gotten used to them again and then you can change them out, etc. Stud posts may poke your head while sleeping. You may want to consider hoops. There are tiny little ones out there where the back slips into the hoop so nothing pokes you while sleeping.

• 6 Kari // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:27 pm

You might still have sensitivities even though your lobes aren’t freshly pierced… I’d agree with j that leaving them in for a period of time is good. I find that wearing lighter weighted earrings more often, but also leaving a couple nights a week out works best for me.

• 7 Michele // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I’m not sure what earrings you’re wearing, but make sure they’re a pure metal like gold or silver cause anything else you might have a reaction too. I wear earrings daily, and have for years and years and sometimes they just rebel. So I put in the good earrings for a bit, they calm down, and then I can wear the fun ones again.

And if you want, it couldn’t hurt to use something to keep them super clean. If I recall, it was a milder form of rubbing alcohol that I was given when I got them pierced.

• 8 Anne (in Reno) // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I agree with j – just find your smallest studs and leave them in for a week or two so your ears can get used to them again.

• 9 Louise // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:29 pm

For washing and cleaning piercings, I use Dr. Bronner’s tea tree oil soap. Dillute a drop with a handful of water and rub rub rub over the piercing to clean.

For soaking, I use a small amount of sea-salt and warm water. If you have disconnected earlobes (like Buddha!), you can just dip them into a shotglass of warm water and a pinch of sea-salt. If your earlobes are connected to the side of your head, soak a cotton ball in the warm water/sea-salt solution and put it on your ear for a few mins, front and back.

• 10 greta // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:30 pm

i agree. my guess would be the soreness is just irritation. i would wear thin, simple hoops that can be gently rotated, maybe no more than once a day, and leave them in for several weeks until your ears adjust. the peroxide/alcohol they used to recommend was to prevent infection, but since your holes are not really being reopened, just reused, i don’t think you’d need it. (and it could cause more irritation by drying out the skin.) i think now most piercing places have a different kind of solution they recommend. you could stop by a piercing place (i’d recommend a body piercing place rather than a jewelry store) for their suggestions.

• 11 Jessy // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Dittoing all the keep them in 24/7 for a while. Also about hoops v. studs as more comfortable.
    The last time I was with someone getting pierced, we were emphatically told to NOT use rubbing alcohol, use a sea saltwater rinse and triple antibiotic if needed.

• 12 Megan // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:31 pm

As a girl with multiple piercings, I’ve done a bit of research on this. Avoid the alcohol at all costs. Peroxide too. While it kills germs, it also kills new cells, so it’s good for wiping down fresh, possibly contaminated cuts, but can seriously slow the healing process. I would also try to use gold posts, if you have them. At times, I react to the nickel content in other earrings (but only on certain days – it’s a weird thing), but gold’s a safe bet. Your ears are probably just a little bruised and traumatized and swollen from the initial earring insertion, so if I were you, I’d just put in a pair and leave them a week or two. If you had no bleeding, the rotating shouldn’t matter. (though you shouldn’t rotate – just push back and forth)

• 13 Rita // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:32 pm

I’ve always had better luck with small gold or silver hoops. I had a gold pair that I wore without taking them out for over a year once! I have no scientific evidence, but I think that the backs on post earrings trap heat and bacteria in and around the piercing.

• 14 Emily W // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Don’t use alcohol. Don’t use peroxide. A piercing is a puncture wound, and peroxide is for surface scrapes and small cuts. It will impede with the healing. Using alcohol to make sure the jewelry is clean is fine, but rinse it with clean water and don’t put alcohol on you.

I agree with the others – try to find a pair of hoops that have an enclosed wire. I have found them in many many jewelry shops. They’re small, maybe 2cm across, and the end of the wire that goes through your ear goes INTO the hoop itself, so it’s totally sealed and you don’t get anything poking into the side of your head behind your ear. Wear them for a week or two and see if that’s better.

• 15 Morgan // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I *just* did that last month! Same thing – 10 years since I last wore earrings regularly (although I would wear a pair for special occasions – once or twice a year, so the holes didn’t seal over).
    My answer? Wear them one evening, let the redness and pain fade for several days, wear again for a day, go without for a few, repeat as necessary. After less than two weeks, my ears were totally fine and I’ve been wearing the diamond studs my lovely boyfriend bought me for Christmas.
    I wouldn’t have been able to handle the extreme discomfort of two weeks wearing, but an evening or a day worked fine, and everything probably healed faster, because it’s not inflamed.

• 16 sarah // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:38 pm

when I got my ears pierced way back when, my grandma swore by witch hazel. not sure if it does the trick, but you know grandmas.

• 17 megan // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:38 pm

This is fantastic, thanks so much to everybody for the excellent advice. I’ll find some pure metal hoops and dip my Buddha-lobes into a shot glass of salt water daily, that should do it.

And thanks for the advice against using rubbing alcohol and peroxide!

• 18 kellykellykelly // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:40 pm

I have stretched my earlobes (I wear plugs that are 3/8″ in diameter). When I was in the process of doing that, I massaged my earlobes and the stretched skin with oil. You can try either olive oil or break open a vitamin E capsule and use that. Just take the earrrings out at night and apply a little dot of oil and massage. This will do wonders for the earlobe skin and will prevent the hole from being sore and irritated. Of course if there is blood or liquid coming from the holes, you have a little infection and antibotic cream will be a better thing to use. Be gentle and take care of your lobes!

• 19 Aardvark // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:40 pm

I could be wrong but I thought Peroxide was a big no no because it can leach the nickle out of other metals. That being said I will just echo the wear real gold studs and leave them in a while.

• 20 B // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Do NOT use a triple antibiotic– frequent use of these increases the chances of developing a sensitivity to one of the products. Products like Neosporin are meant for short uses, like treating a cut for a few days.

That being said, even though you got the earrings through your ears doesn’t mean you didn’t stretch the hole and cause some damage. The reason why they close up a bit when you take them out is because the small cuts you created are trying to heal.
    Those who suggested keeping them in for a while are correct. This will cause the holes to re-heal at the size you desire.
    Alcohol will only dry out the area and delay the healing process. Your best bet is to wash the front and back thoroughly while in the shower and to twist the stem so it gets the soap though the piercing itself. If you’re really paranoid, you can twist the earring while it’s dry to keep your skin from healing onto the post, but make sure your hands are clean.

I’ve had 20 piercings and have reopened several of them. It takes a little bit to get used to them again, but take this advice and you’ll be just fine.

• 21 chez shoes // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Hmm, this sounds like how my pierced-in-childhood ears behave whenever I try to wear earrings. I’ve been told it’s a nickel allergy, and nickel is found in most metals. Even gold, which was the only metal I could wear as a kid, gives me trouble now.

The advice I’ve been given by a dermatologist was either to get niobium or titanium earrings, which can be found across the web – but I haven’t tried them yet.

• 22 Lauren // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Wear hoops

Do not wear anything with nickel. Go see an actual piercer, spend a few extra dollars on a pair of 20g or 22g (about the same gauge as a pair of ear wires) stainless steel hoops.

Since you have mentioned having sensitive skin, this is probably why you are having problems. DO NOT USE VASELINE. It will just cover up any kind of wound or rash you have. Basically, treat the holes like you would any wound. Gentle soap, bactine would be ok for a day or two.

I’ve had many many piercings (Oh, how silly I used to look). Seriously, talk to a piercer, and get some piercing hoops in a very narrow gauge to wear (and not take out) until they have healed over (a couple or few weeks). I’ll bet it is just a sensitivity to the earrings you are wearing in the newly reopened holes.

Good luck!

• 23 Melissa // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Just commenting to “amen” the good advice you’ve already gotten – get small, self-contained hoops (no pokey bits) and leave them in all the time. I have sensitive ears so I can only wear gold, but I wear white gold because I like the look of silver. I think I got my most recent pair at Claire’s, in the little case where they lock up the slightly more expensive earrings. Good luck!

• 24 mel // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Unflavored, wider dental floss. I’m not kidding. Thread onto a blunt point needle and “thread” the works into (and out of) the hole in your ear lobe. Take the needle out of the floss, form a small loop and put a knot in it. You will still be able to lightly pull the floss through the hole (like you would give a turn with a post earring). Occasionally swap the lobe with peroxide. Don’t let the floss dry out…keep it lightly greased with Vaseline or an antibiotic cream or ointment. Keep them in the ears for maybe 2 weeks.

This method works great if you tend to toss and turn when sleeping…you’re not constantly “dragging” your sore ears on your pillow and “pulling” on the earring. Also, wearing posts means there is no air between your infected lobe and the earring backing so they’re always ‘goopy’ and pussy and will never clear up.

I know this is going to look odd…tell people it’s a new fashion statement.

• 25 Kate // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:56 pm

I would go buy a pair of studs for newly pierced ears. The stud is larger which makes the hole heal larger than your average earring stud. These would stretch your ear back to where it should be. I bet you could pick up a pair at one of the places in the mall that pierces ears.

The solution they give you is to prevent infection. It sounds to me from your description that you didn’t break any skin to let infection in when you put in your earrings. If the skin isn’t broken I would use rubbing alcohol or peroxide to keep things clean. If the skin is broken or infected that will sting like crazy. I would recommend that you use whatever you normally use for at home first aid like Neosporin. You could also get a tube of Bactroban with a prescription from your doctor. This is a prescription strength antibiotic cream that will nip your infection in the bud if things take a turn for the worse.

• 26 Kate // Jan 7, 2009 at 1:04 pm

I’ve got really sensitive earlobes, so I second all the recommendations of earrings made out of something without nickel. I use alcohol to clean earrings before I put them in, but not for anything else. I prefer posts for ease of putting in, but hoops for leaving in once my holes have opened up.

• 27 Dalila // Jan 7, 2009 at 1:04 pm

I’d always heard peroxide is a good one to use.
    On the subject of earrings though, I would not use studs. Notice in body piercing shops that hoops are the starter ring of choice? That’s because you can rotate them easily and the buildup will not stay between the earring and your body. It seems like a lot of people are suggesting studs but I would not use them in this case. If there is a piercing shop nearby, or a store that sells “funky” jewellery, I would check there for an inexpensive (not too thick) pair of small hoops, in a medical metal.
    Good luck with whatever method you choose!

• 28 Katy // Jan 7, 2009 at 1:11 pm

I have had pierced ears since I was ten, and recently bought a pair of sterling hoops that (unbeknownst to me) were a slightly thicker gauge than regular earrings. My ears hurt for about a week and a half as I think the holes stretched to accomodate them. Since your ears had already healed, I suspect that is what is happening.

• 29 Kelsey // Jan 7, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Make sure you’re not experiencing any sensitivity to the metal of the earring, first of all. Second, I would make a compress (perhaps a clean washcloth) of sea salt and warm water to hold on both sides of the ear (earring can stay in) for a few minutes twice a day. Your ears are healing & saline is what the body uses so I think this will help – it’s what professional body piercers recommend.

• 30 Emily // Jan 7, 2009 at 1:13 pm

There is an indian jewelry shop on the ave that sells cheap, tiny gold and silver hoops. (also the BEST selection of nose rings in the city!) Its next door to the shoe store 5 Doors Up. Whenever my ears feel raw or infected, I will put in one of their tiny pairs of hoops and leave them in until they heal. I was the area with antibacterial soap every night. Anything else can cause scarring and tissue buildup, or so I’ve heard.
    I hope your ears behave soon!

• 31 andrea // Jan 7, 2009 at 1:23 pm

wow, I’ve been considering trying earrings again after ~10 years too — what a serendipitous post! I know I have a nickel sensitivity, and even gold bothered me the last time I tried to wear earrings (my mother’s pearls, on my wedding day…sob!). Good info here — thanks for asking the question, Megan!

• 32 MKH // Jan 7, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Definitely small hoops instead of studs, they get more air and bacteria, etc. cannot build up on the post and back. Leave them in for at least two weeks and clean twice a day with peroxide (with hoops this should be easier). Make sure that the hoops are good quality either surgical steel or gold. I’ve had pierced ears since I was a baby and every once in awhile I have to go through this routine because of some “sensitivity” or if some earring post is too big for the hole. Best of luck.

• 33 Brianna // Jan 7, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Don’t use peroxide. I learned in a jewelry making class that peroxide will eat away at metal, or something to that effect.

• 34 Little Gray Pixel // Jan 7, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I did the same thing a few years ago, believe it or not. The only thing that worked for me was to buy some tiny studs (or hoops, as has already been suggested) and wear them for about a month without taking them out. Turn them a lot. Good luck!

• 35 Dana // Jan 7, 2009 at 2:01 pm

I got my ears pierced when I was 6 and had problems with them for YEARS. Whenever they would start to get infected, I would wear small gold hoops. I could sleep in them and the air circulation did them a world of good. Good luck!

• 36 Elle // Jan 7, 2009 at 2:04 pm

A person or two advised to use antibacterial ointment.

That is a BIG NO NO for peircings. The problem is that the ointment gets into the piercing, the anti-bacterial wears out and then the goo stays providing an EXTRA nice moist, warm, enclosed space for bacteria increasing the likelihood of infection.

On external wounds the ointment is fine, it dehydrates and washes/rubs off more completely rather than sticking around to become a growth medium for bacteria. A good piercer will not recommend ointment.

• 37 katie e. // Jan 7, 2009 at 2:14 pm

i do this every few years… what really helps is neosporin. i think it’s less the antibiotic issue than the lubrication. i put in simple studs after coating the posts in neosporin and leave them in for several days, turning them frequently.

• 38 Dino // Jan 7, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Don’t know if anyone’s suggested this but TRIPLE ANTIBIOTIC! Just dab it all around the hole and move your earring in and out and all around. For cleaning the piercing, salt water and contact solution works really well. The guy from the piercing shop told me that. Take care!! I’m having the same problems right now

• 39 Brooke // Jan 7, 2009 at 2:15 pm

I would definitely NOT use hydrogen peroxide. From what I understand, you only want to use HO on very new wounds to clean them. On older wounds, it breaks down the newly-formed cells, which effectively sets you back in terms of healing.

• 40 Sammie // Jan 7, 2009 at 2:24 pm

My daughter was giving diluted dial soap, or the lady told us to have her lay down in the bath…worked well.

Her ears looked like they were pierced fro years after day two.

• 41 jjzach // Jan 7, 2009 at 2:24 pm

I agree with the small hoops suggestion. My ears are very sensitive, but hoops have been the answer for me. I have a small pair with a gold post, where the post slips into the back of the hoop. I can sleep in them no prob and wear them most of the time. If I try to wear studs for any length of time I always regret it. My Mom also had sensitive ears, but wasn’t happy wearing the same old earrings all the time. If she wore funky earrings that didn’t have gold posts she would put antibiotic first aid ointment on the post before wearing. She said it worked like a charm.

• 42 Valerie // Jan 7, 2009 at 2:28 pm

When my daughter got piercings they told her to get contact lens cleaning solution. I guess it’s less irritating than alcohol or peroxide. Someone else may have suggested this, but I didn’t read all 40 replies.

• 43 Kelli // Jan 7, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Go to your local Claire’s and buy a big bottle of their ear solution. It is fairly inexpensive. That is the best thing for you!!

• 44 Seanna Lea // Jan 7, 2009 at 3:01 pm

I have quite a number of ear piercings, and I swear by hoops and Dr. Bronner’s Soap (which is what I was given for my second set of piercings).

The hoops help, because they compress more readily without putting a lot of stress on the lobe. Useful for winter hats, sleeping or leaning against something, etc. The soap is really mild, but other products should work as well. This is just the one I used.

• 45 Karine // Jan 7, 2009 at 3:07 pm

I didn’t read any of the responses but what kind of metal are your earrings made of? You should stick with noble metals like gold or platinum, no oxidation therefore no allergic reactions…

• 46 Kris // Jan 7, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Salt water – but use non-iodized salt. If you feel like consulting someone in person, Slave to the Needle (Seattle, Phinney Ridge) is a great resource. I had them re-pierce my ears after they closed up and were so professional and didn’t care that I wasn’t getting anything crazy peirced. I also have to agree that small silver hoops would be your best earring option if you’re having any problems.

• 47 movin down the road // Jan 7, 2009 at 3:12 pm

“there wasn’t even blood”. Eek. I need to go put some earrings in my ears, it’s been a few months

• 48 Lee // Jan 7, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Be really careful with the peroxide…Some metals will oxidize when they have been soaked in too much hydrogen peroxide…Put on the peroxide, then put on neosporin with a cotton swab….a solution that works just as well is contact saline solution…Good luck with the piercings

• 49 Heather in MTL // Jan 7, 2009 at 3:46 pm

I’ll Nth the suggestion to go with silver, gold, platinum or stainless steel…. I can’t wear anything else for more than one day without getting seriously irritated lobes. For an alternative to metal, try coconut earrings…

For comfort, check out ‘huggie’ style (just google “huggie earrings” if you need the visual). They click closed, and usually don’t have anything sticking out anywhere on them to poke you or snag on your hair. I wear mine 24/7…. I sometimes go months without taking them out for a change!

• 50 Livi // Jan 7, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Don’t use peroxied.

Use liquid bactine.

Wear stainless steel posts (0r 14K gold/sterling silver) – no nickel.

Rotate the posts, once a day, after cleaning.

Saltwater soaks (2x a day).

• 51 BabyCarrots // Jan 7, 2009 at 4:34 pm

My piercers always told me to use saline solution (like you use to clean contacts) and stainless steel jewelry. It’s best not to remove the jewelry for a length of time, too. For fresh piercings I always waited 6 weeks or more. Cleaning & turning every day.

• 52 BabyCarrots // Jan 7, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Oh, and always use the saline solution after a shower, so you don’t have any soap residue on the piercing.

• 53 christine // Jan 7, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Wow, such a plethora of bad advice. You have no need to rotate your earrings, if anything you might be pulling any dried discharge (crusties)into the hole, irritating it.

Salt water soaks are 1/4 t to 1C hot water. Soak as many times a day as you want.
    No on the ointments and harsh cleansers, bactine etc. These kill white blood cells which you need for healing.

The Association of Professional Piercers is a good information source. Widely accepted and stringent standards for Body Modification.

Although you do not have a new piercing, you probably have stretched the hole, causing micro tearing. So the above, easy, aftercare is a good plan to follow.

• 54 Kara // Jan 7, 2009 at 4:58 pm

If you didn’t have any trouble getting the studs in, a metal sensitivity is the most likely problem.

One thing nobody seems to have suggested: coat your earrings with nail polish, acrylic sealer, or wax. I used to be able to wear any metal in my ears but now they are sensitive to everything but platinum and titanium! Coating the posts and backs allows me to wear anything I want.

• 55 valentina // Jan 7, 2009 at 5:17 pm

well, there’s a lot of advice already.
    you may have an adverse reaction to the metal of your earrings. i can only wear gold now, after having been able to wear anything.
    i’ve had multiple piercings, and the only thing i was ever told to use to help with healing is ‘bactine’. it’s fantastic.

• 56 nia // Jan 7, 2009 at 5:43 pm

first — peroxide is not your friend. try an ointment or aquaphor instead. also (gasp) QVC sells “platinum clad” CZ studs. i have a couple pair and I am very happy with them.

• 57 shayna // Jan 7, 2009 at 6:15 pm

are you sure it’s not an allergy? I had been wearing the same pair of earrings for – literally, without removal – years at a time for like 10 years and then suddenly, I couldn’t wear them anymore. My ears would get sore and occasionally rashy. Just a thought.

• 58 Katie M. // Jan 7, 2009 at 6:18 pm

I read often but this is my first comment. You probably have a nickel sensitivity like a lot of people have said. FYI surgical and stainless steel contain nickel. It keeps them from rusting. Make sure you buy new gold(most new gold doesn’t have nickel, double check though), yellow or white, or sterling silver from a reputable company that specifically states they don’t use nickel in their jewelry. Enjoy!

• 59 michelle // Jan 7, 2009 at 7:21 pm

please make sure you are wearing hypoallergenic studs & clean ears carefully every eve/or every other

also – dip posts in neosporin (sp) prior to placing in ear, will help w/tenderness & infection

good luck!

• 60 rose // Jan 7, 2009 at 8:20 pm

i have always found that neosporim worked…antibiotic salve. you can also do the alcohal but if your ears are red then they are infected and need the salve. also posts are best because your ears will be use to the larger holes rather than the thin wires. if you put wires in first and your ears heal then they won’t want to wear the bigger posts…hope this helps?

• 61 Lisa // Jan 7, 2009 at 8:25 pm

Husband is a body piercer and honestly, Knowing what I know about it all.. which is a lot.. Please follow what comment #53 says. It’s the best advice here.

• 62 megan // Jan 7, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Thank you Lisa (61) and Christine (53), I appreciate the solid advice!

• 63 Stephanie // Jan 8, 2009 at 4:22 am

I am so glad to see this information posted! I was wondering what to do if one needed to get their ears re-pierced? I may try to re-insert some earrings and follow the advice. Thank you and good luck!

• 64 Megan // Jan 8, 2009 at 11:51 am

It may seem obvious, but wash your hands before touching your newly-rediscovered holes.

• 65 Jen // Jan 8, 2009 at 12:40 pm

eh, there may be lots of NOs against alcohol, but that’s all I’ve ever used. both to swab my ear lobes, and to clean the jewellery. The earrings I wear most often are 14k or 18k, which is okay, but sterling silver actually agrees most with my piercings.

Also, I would take them out to shower, particularly if you’re wearing studs, because moisture gets trapped. Dry off post shower before putting them back in.

• 66 nazila // Jan 9, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Hmm. I never take out my earrings except to clean them on occasion. I wear the noble metals as well. That being said, wearing earrings to bed does take some getting used to.

If I was wearing chandelier earrings or huge hoops I would take them out, but I’m pretty much a purist when it comes to earrings – gold balls, studs and pearls.

nm

• 67 Jillian // Oct 30, 2009 at 9:28 pm

I have a bad problem with normal earring posts and wires. I had a bad allergic reaction to earrings a few decades ago.
    A few years ago, I found that Titanium earrings are excellent for those who have an allergy to nickle or other metals used for earrings.