Free-Range Chickens, free e-book on iPhone

I’ve seen the book Free-Range Chickens by Simon Rich recommended twice in the last few days — first by Dooce and then by The Stranger. I have not read it yet but I was really happy to discover that it’s currently being offered as a free e-book though the Random House Free Library that I access on my iPhone through the Stanza e-reader. I’m not sure how long it will be offered so if you have an iPhone grab it if you’re curious. Also download The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death, I’ve loved Laurie Notaro for a while now and having this book during the Great Big Snow Storm has saved a bit of my sanity with all the hilarious.

· comments [14] · 12-29-2008 · categories:iphone · shopping ·

• 1 Darci // Dec 29, 2008 at 12:02 pm

Got it – thanks for the link. I forget that I have the app but it will come in handy as I wait at the Dr office tomorrow.

• 2 Karen // Dec 29, 2008 at 12:18 pm

Just downloaded Stanza – thanks for the tip! But I can’t figure out how/where to get the book. Help?

• 3 Tara // Dec 29, 2008 at 12:22 pm

I had completely forgotten I even had Stanza on my iPhone…thanks for the reminder and suggestion! This’ll come in handy for the roadtrip tomorrow! Thanks!

• 4 megan // Dec 29, 2008 at 12:24 pm

Karen – Open up Stanza, click on “Online Catalog”. It should open up to a list of options starting with “Fictionwise Book Store” “Free Harlequin Love Stories” (heh) and then “Random House Free Library”. Click that. There are nine books and Free-Range Chickens one of them. I also recommend grabbing The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death, I love Laurie Notaro.

Did that do it?

• 5 Karen // Dec 29, 2008 at 1:01 pm

D’oh! I just figured it out right before I saw your reply. Many thanks!

• 6 Meredith // Dec 29, 2008 at 1:10 pm

I didn’t know Laurie Notaro published a book earlier this year. She’s hilarious. Thanks for the tip!

• 7 mamacita // Dec 29, 2008 at 2:17 pm

I read Free Range Chickens and recommended it on my blog. It’s a quick read — probably a good choice for a phone-read.

• 8 Lizzie // Dec 29, 2008 at 4:13 pm

I just downloaded both Stanza and Free Range the other day! I was so excited to see it listed for free. :)

• 9 Joy // Dec 29, 2008 at 11:20 pm

That is so awesome. I’m downloading the book now. Thank you!

• 10 Weaver // Dec 31, 2008 at 6:29 am

Thanks for the great app tip! Thanks to you, I get to surprise my husband with all my iPhone smarts. :) Thanks! We’ll be moving from Milwaukee to Detroit next week. Not having to remember where I put the book will be a great bonus.

• 11 Kim // Jan 1, 2009 at 10:24 am

It’s a free download on the Kindle too. I got the book thanks to your recommendation, and it’s so funny! Except I felt like a loser when I found out he’s only 24 years old. Or 25. Something like that.

• 12 Sunny // Jan 1, 2009 at 12:41 pm

I’m already in tears with laughter- thanks for the tip!!

• 13 Sarah // Jan 3, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Just downloaded Stanza, Free-Range Chickens and The Idiot Girl… thanks for sharing! I also got the Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I think I want to marry my iphone now.

• 14 Juliann // Jan 12, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Ok, found both free on eBook from Sony as well for anyone with Sony Readers! Can’t wait!