Last Minute Christmas Cheer

Ugh. I have come down with a cold of the sort that makes me cranky and tired, but too uncomfortable to want to try to sleep. We’re snowed in here in Seattle and cabin fever is making itself known so my only wish is to feel well enough to take a walk in the snow to our nearest coffee place to sip some hot cocoa in the company of neighbors who have skied through the streets to get there. Instead I’m home wishing I had my sense of taste back so I could more fully enjoy a cup of hot chocolate. So I wish you a happy holiday with the understanding that I’ll have the energy to mean it with more sincerity in a few days.

Sugared cranberries: snappy, sparkle, and pop. at Bon Appegeek

What’s a good recipe for gingerbread construction materials? at Ask Metafilter

Peppermint Meringues at Joy the Baker

swissmiss alpenglow project, gorgeous

Expandable Christmas Stocking at Neatorama

ornaments to make at How About Orange

Korknisse, hat and sweater for a wine cork! Thank you to Aruni for the link.

10 Ideas for Pretty Alternative Wrapping at Mighty Girl

The Bishop’s Wife, a cup of cheer cocktail at Modern Cottage

Note to Chocolatiers: Where Are the Good Advent Calendars? at Chow

· comments [11] · 12-23-2008 · categories:christmas · mumbling ·

• 1 Susan Gibbs // Dec 23, 2008 at 2:15 pm

Merry Christmas, Megan. And feel better!

• 2 megan // Dec 23, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Thanks Susan! I’m feeling better today, a day spent knitting and watching movies proved to be restorative.

• 3 Erin // Dec 23, 2008 at 5:08 pm

Megan, I am sorry to hear you have a nasty cold and it’s stomping on your holiday cheer. Alicia of Posie Gets Cozy had a whopper of a cold recently and she had many, many readers post their favorite cold remedies. My usual remedy is hot tea (sometimes with honey, lemon and alcohol of your choice). Chicken soup has also been a time-honored remedy. Decongestant nasal spray helps me breathe enough to sleep.
    You probably know all these and more. Oh, one more – Vicks Vapor Rub on your chest.
    Thanks for all the helpful, inspiring and amusing information you post throughout the year.
    Best Wishes for a sniffle-free Christmas and HAPPY New YEar!

• 4 Rebekah // Dec 23, 2008 at 5:20 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your cold. I’m just coming off of one that lasted a week and a half, so I can comiserate with the feeling. Thank you very much for the links today….it gave me some great ideas to help my parents feel Christmasy, despite the fact that we aren’t actually celebrating until next week, since my brothers can’t make it. Merry Christmas!!!

• 5 megan // Dec 23, 2008 at 6:23 pm

Thanks for the sympathy, and the link to all the remedies. Today I was well enough to go without cold medicine so I’m taking up hot tea and a little glass of whiskey to go with it.

• 6 Stephie // Dec 24, 2008 at 8:39 am

Hope you feel beter ASAP!
    Merry Christmas!

• 7 Tina // Dec 24, 2008 at 10:53 am

Whiskey makes everything a little better!
    Wishing you a speedy recovery and a Merry Christmas!!!

• 8 L. // Dec 24, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Happy happy holidays, Megan, and I hope that the whiskey trumped the cold with feel-good feelings.

This snow can end, yesterday. But Merry Christmas!

• 9 Uncle Beefy // Dec 25, 2008 at 10:56 am

Aw Miss Megan…hope you’re feeling a bit better this Christmas Day. But wanted to wish you a very HAPPY HOLIDAY! Best wishes to you in 2009! :) Get well soon!

• 10 Kim // Dec 25, 2008 at 6:12 pm

Merry Christmas Megan … the weather is getting to us too here in Edmonds …

Thank you for your wonderful blog! From a loyal reader

xoxo
    Kim

• 11 Darlene // Dec 26, 2008 at 11:22 am

I’m sorry to hear about your cold. The last time that I felt the first signs of a cold, I tried Zicam gel swaps – and it worked. I didn’t experience any miserable cold symptoms.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!