Secret Stash Sea Salts

I was lucky enough to get some salt samples that Seattle Tall Poppy had brought to a gathering. These salts are from Secret Stash Sea Salts. I sprinkled a little of the Vanilla on top of some homemade peanut butter ice cream and it was delicious. Their site has recipes for each of the salts I have, and I’m especially looking forward to trying the Coconut Garam Masala Roasted Lamb Sirloin. I’m afraid fancy salts are entirely too much for my limited ability to cook so if you’ve got suggestions for what to do with flavored salts I’d love to hear them.

· comments [30] · 12-18-2008 · categories:food ·

• 1 brady // Dec 18, 2008 at 8:19 am

We sprinkle tasty salts on top of sliced crusty bread that’s been buttered (your no knead bread would be perfect). That is an easy way to use it and taste all the flavors. I learned that from a little place here in Portland called Belly Timber. They have fantastic salts as well as pretty much everything I’ve ever eaten there.

• 2 Susan Gibbs // Dec 18, 2008 at 8:32 am

I have been insisting that I don’t want anything for Christmas but maybe I was hasty…

• 3 megan // Dec 18, 2008 at 8:50 am

It’s funny because I’d heard about the Portland salt store called The Meadow three times in the week before I snagged these samples. To me it seems like all of a sudden flavored salts aren’t just spice rubs anymore.

• 4 Dana McCauley // Dec 18, 2008 at 9:09 am

Even if you just use them to season foods at the table you’ll enjoy them. In fact, I think that’s the best way to use specialty salts.

I love the combo of sweet and salt very much. If you take a look at the Salish smoked salt and Cypress Flake salt topped caramels I made for last month’s Daring Baker’s challenge, I think you’ll be running to kitchen very soon:

• 5 Seanna Lea // Dec 18, 2008 at 9:21 am

I think that they are perfect just for spicing your foods, but there are a number of cookie recipes (like that one in the NYT a few months back) that add a bit of fleur de sel to the mix. The flavored salts might work well there too.

• 6 Donna Sue // Dec 18, 2008 at 9:24 am

I use hickory or mesquite smoked salt on meat dishes I cook inside (turkey burgers, steak, etc.) to make them taste more “grilly” even in cold weather. The vanilla salt sounds amazing – I might have to track some down. :)

• 7 Monica // Dec 18, 2008 at 9:34 am

They might be interesting for rimming the glasses of margaritas, martinis, etc…

• 8 suzer // Dec 18, 2008 at 10:19 am

I like to put my super special salts on popcorn. It elevates a 2:30 microwave snack to near gourmet.

• 9 CindyG // Dec 18, 2008 at 11:01 am

Even though you don’t know me, you could send them to me! hee hee…..

• 10 brady // Dec 18, 2008 at 11:29 am

Monica’s suggestion is great. In Mexico earlier this year, we experimented with different flavored salts on the rims of our glasses. The winner was a ground roasted chili with smoked ground worms. You should try it.

• 11 laura // Dec 18, 2008 at 11:51 am

I am trying to use my fancy salt on more everyday occasions. Not throwing it around like money grows on trees, just here and there. Salt seems to go so far anyway. My salt is not flavored, which makes it easier, but I am naively sprinkling it on everything from unbaked cookies to potatoes in any form, roasted chicken, salads, etc. So far so good.

Am really curious whether vanilla salt could be made just like vanilla sugar.

• 12 Sacha // Dec 18, 2008 at 12:39 pm

Let’s have the recipe for peanut butter ice cream, please!

• 13 megan // Dec 18, 2008 at 1:00 pm

Sacha – Sorry, peanut butter ice cream was made by Seattle Tall Poppy. I lack both the recipe and an ice cream maker of my own, both of which I regret.

• 14 ML // Dec 18, 2008 at 1:19 pm

I would suggest using the vanilla and Lavender salts on baked goods (like sanding sugar on top). But the more “savory” salts I would use on eggs, plain grilled meat, and potatoes. Salt on buttered toast and popcorn sound great, too!

• 15 Miss B // Dec 18, 2008 at 1:38 pm

I have about 6 kinds of salt currently in my cupboard, and these are some of the things I do with them…

(1) sprinkled on halved avocadoes, to be eaten as is, with a spoon

(2) used to season any vegetables — cauliflower or sweet potatoes or squash being my particular favorites — after lightly tossing with olive oil. then just throw them in the oven and bake the hell out of them. this is my favorite way to cook vegetables.

(3) sprinkle on top of homemade shortbread cookies instead of, or in addition to, colored sugar

I think I am going to have to try making vanilla salt SOON!

• 16 Jedalyn // Dec 18, 2008 at 4:36 pm

I love how vintage-y the corks look!

• 17 andrea // Dec 18, 2008 at 5:00 pm

an easy use is to sprinkle them on poached eggs !!

• 18 Anna // Dec 18, 2008 at 6:47 pm

One thing I’ve been making a lot recently when I’m feeling lazy and want something simple is pasta with e.v. olive oil and freshly ground pepper – it’s delicious, and I bet something similar using those salts would be great! :)

• 19 Janna // Dec 18, 2008 at 7:46 pm

Hi Megan,

I’m happy our salts landed in your hands; yet even more so to hear that you’re experimenting with them in your kitchen. We’re such a small-scale partnership (of two) that its (more than) exciting to see them being used at a local level.

As far as cooking ideas, here goes. Their uses are endless; despite perhaps carrying the stigma of a “gourmet” product, they’re so user-friendly that you rarely need to have a recipe in mind. Flavored salts accentuate just about any dish you prepare.

Take pork chops. Say you pan-sear them in olive oil; once they’re cooked through, sprinkle the Lavender Rosemary salt atop each chop. More than anything, they’re finishing salts—– in that a little of each flavored coarse, flakey Fleur de Sel goes a long way.

Some of my other personal favorites for each are….

Vanilla: cupcakes, cookies, ice cream, chocolate, caramel-based applications, tuna, hamachi, halibut, and fruit (peaches, apples)

Coconut Masala: sweet potatoes, lamb, turkey, ham, curries, bread and butter

Lavender Rosemary: potato chips, pork chops, halibut, potatoes, chicken…. essentially everything!

Soy: edamame, mac n’ cheese, fish, poultry

Nicoise Olive (my favorite) : salads, pasta, tomatoes, bruschetta, eggs, lamb, grilled meats, potatoes…. and oh, dirty vodka martinis. Yes, please.

If you’re ever at the Ballard Farmers Market, swing by to say “HI.” We’d love to meet you.

Happy salting!

Janna Wemmer
    Secret Stash Sea Salts

• 20 amanda // Dec 18, 2008 at 10:26 pm

I’m thinking that some chevre smeared on bread or a bagel and sprinkled with the lavendar/rosemary. Yum!

Of course, any of these on caramel would probably be great.

Olive salt could go well on buttered naan, perhaps?

• 21 knitopia // Dec 19, 2008 at 1:02 am

I bet the appropriate flavors would be good sprinkled on top of popcorn, oatmeal, or soup.

• 22 Elizabeth // Dec 19, 2008 at 7:59 am

Vanilla Sea Salt sprinkled on Triple vanilla cupcakes with vanilla cream cheese frosting. Oh my god good!

• 23 Elizabeth // Dec 19, 2008 at 8:02 am

Well silly I know but corn on the cob!
    We had some Jalapeno salts on corn on the cob, last summer. Was it not WONDERFUL!!

• 24 Abby // Dec 19, 2008 at 9:55 am

Place on top of takeaway sushi rolls.

• 25 Chef Anahata // Dec 19, 2008 at 4:07 pm

Flavored, smoked, etc salts are best enjoyed sprinkled on finished food. Cooking them can really upset the alchemy of a good recipe. If you are going to use a finishing salt–think ahead and go easy with the salt in the food…or eliminate it entirely. It’s a bummer to buy expensive salt and then ruin the food by turning it into a salt lick. :o)

• 26 Seattle Tall Poppy // Dec 19, 2008 at 8:04 pm

Your photo is so cute! I love the line up…And it was a blast watching you try salt & ice cream. The delight on your face was priceless.

In case anyone’s interested, the ice cream recipe came from Bruce Weinstein’s ice cream book. The recipe is on Saveur: http://www.saveur.com/article/Food/Peanut-Butter-Swirl-Ice-Cream-

I’m glad you liked it…definitely one of my favorites!

Looking forward to our next rendez vous!

• 27 heather // Dec 24, 2008 at 7:32 am

Amy Karol from angry chicken says to put it on your fudge, and oh is she right!!! It is sooo delicious.

• 28 Anne-Marie // Dec 24, 2008 at 8:51 pm

Salt on caramels and chocolate is the best use for it. Heather’s got a good idea – fudge sounds awesome too.

• 29 Anna // Dec 26, 2008 at 5:16 am

Lavender rosemary salt would be perfect for honey, lavender, and roasted fig cupcakes with goat cheese frosting.

recipe here: http://staceysscoop.blogspot.com/2008/10/iron-cupcake-earth-cheese.html

Lavender salt/sugar (or at least the food-grade lavender required to make your own) is becoming ridiculously hard to find, at least in my part of the world, so I’d seize the day. Congrats on a definite score.

• 30 jubilant cerise // Dec 30, 2008 at 10:49 am

Sometimes all I have for salad is the leaves but once you sprinkle on some fancy salts it totally transforms the olive oil and lemon/vinegar dressing. Some cheese, toasted nuts, fruit (dried or fresh) and some fancy salt, and you’ve got one spectacular salad! :)