Laurel Hill Knitting Needles

I recently got some Laurel Hill Knitting Needles and I have to say I think I’m in love. The company makes straight knitting needles and crochet hooks from sustainable exotic woods. They are produced in Vietnam in a facility that is “environmentally friendly and safe; all members are treated with dignity and respect.”

The needles I’m using now are size #4 (US) and they are remarkably flexible and springy. I’m making the Lace Ribbon Scarf from Comfort DK yarn which is splitty enough to be fiddly. I originally started the scarf on some bamboo circulars and abandoned the project because the needles hurt my hands. The Laurel Hill needles give me no trouble at all, though, and I have even noticed they don’t rub against a certain spot on my finger that I’m used to. The needles are very smooth and don’t catch on any of the fuzzy fibers, slick enough that I don’t have troubles when I SSK, but still grippy enough that I’ve had no trouble with the needles sliding out and dropping stitches. I really enjoy working with them. The only downside I can see is that the wood the needles are fairly dark, meaning I won’t be knitting anything black on them in the evenings. I have to add that I’ve gotten so used to working with circular needles that I’d forgotten that I find scarves are actually easier to knit on two straight needles.

The crochet hook I have is equally appealing, the wood is far nicer to look at than my usual plastic standby, and the hook feels warm in my hand.

You can read more about the company at Laurel Hill Online and you can buy the needles online only at KnittingStuff.Net. I think a set of Laurel Hill knitting needles or crochet hooks would make a nice upgrade gift for a knitter who seems to already have everything.

· comments [12] · 12-17-2008 · categories:knitting ·

• 1 greta // Dec 17, 2008 at 9:19 am

I recently bought some Panda Soy yarn to make socks, decided I didn’t like the sock pattern I was using, and thought I might prefer to have a scarf – but was having trouble finding a pattern I liked that would be good with sock weight yarn. I was just about to give up and make my own pattern when… voila! You provide a link to just the right thing. Thanks! :)

• 2 Louise // Dec 17, 2008 at 10:17 am

Oh wow, these look so comfortable. I love knitting with wood knitting needles. They’re so flexible and warm. I’m currently knitting a pair of socks on some bamboo needles.

• 3 Kelli Matthews // Dec 17, 2008 at 11:27 am

Thanks, Megan! I’m glad you liked them. The scarf is beautiful.

• 4 Jennie // Dec 17, 2008 at 11:39 am

Those look so warm and appealing!

• 5 tasterspoon // Dec 17, 2008 at 1:37 pm

These needles look lovely.

To you sock makers – I was recently shopping for needles (I’m new to knitting) and find the bamboo way more appealing than the aluminum, but thought the sock-appropriate ones looked too fragile to survive, I don’t know, accidentally sitting on one. Are they stronger than I think?

• 6 greta // Dec 17, 2008 at 1:49 pm

tasterspoon, i love bamboo needles but have always been afraid of them in sock-friendly sizes. i’ve never tried them for exactly that reason – all of my sock needles are aluminum. sorry i can’t help!

• 7 Steph // Dec 17, 2008 at 3:20 pm

OK! That’s it! You make knitting look like too much fun! I want to try it. Can you recommend something for someone who has never knitted in her life? All the kits I see look like they’re aimed at little kids. I also don’t want to invest a lot of money until I’ve tried it. I’d like to try something simple, like a scarf. Can I just buy yarn and a couple of stick (needles?) online? and instructions somewhere? Thanks–any help for a true beginner would be much appreciated!

• 8 tasterspoon // Dec 18, 2008 at 12:28 pm

Thanks for the validation, Greta! Maybe I’ll try knitting socks with bamboo shishkebob skewers…100 for $1.95.

• 9 amarie // Dec 26, 2008 at 6:01 pm

I know this is late, but re: bamboo sock needles, I love mine. They’re 1s, I think, and they are very sturdy. I have sat on them, my cat has stolen and played with them, and they are just fine. They can handle a fair amount of flex without showing any wear or tear.

• 10 JanS // Dec 29, 2008 at 8:59 am

You blog post reminded me that I have a big plastic tub of yarn just waiting to be made into something.

• 11 emmalish // Jan 4, 2009 at 5:27 pm

I’m knitting the exact same scarf right now, but in Blue Sky Alpaca & Silk. I had the total opposite experience – I started out on a pair of Lantern Moon knitting needles (also exotic woods), but I tend to curl up in the corner of my couch when I knit and the long needles kept hitting the armrest, so I switched to a circular needle. Weird, eh?

Also, my Lantern Moon needs are dark wood and my yarn is dark grey, and it was impossible to see what I was doing. What was I thinking?? Love the needles though.

• 12 Nikki // Jan 8, 2009 at 9:30 am

Love Laurel Hill… there’s also a woman with a small company in Everett, WA (name escapes me but I can find out) who custom-makes crochet hooks from beautiful colored and layered woods, lathe-style. They are easy on the hand/fingers (no calluses), gorgeous to look at, and fairly affordable at $20-25 apiece. Before I received one of hers, I had a lot of other “pretty” wooden hooks that just sat in my basket while I continued to use my cheapie metal hooks… these are a treat to use.