links: the home

brilliant fire extinguisher at Mighty Haus

tranquil mint scented candle at Dooce

How can I soundproof a room in my apartment? at Ask Metafilter

Black & Decker Cordless Electric Mulching Mower at Uncrate

How to make sense of energy efficient bulbs and find what works in your home at Making This Home

Seattle Ork poster! I so want this

Dirt Devil Cordless Rechargeable Stick Vacuum at Sundry Buzz. I’m considering getting one of these since I am often too lazy to bring the big vacuum upstairs. Or is what I really need pronounded Roomba?

Oversized Equator Pendant Lamp at Better Living Through Design

Mod Cottage has proof, hanging red Christmas ornaments around your tomato plants scares away critters that would try to eat them.

swing arm window rods, these aren’t pretty but I like the idea

floating billies at Ikea Hacker

· comments [14] · 12-11-2008 · categories:the home ·

• 1 jess // Dec 11, 2008 at 7:47 am

i have the Seattle Ork poster (in the light blue paper color) and it is AWESOME! highly recommended!

• 2 Sheri Bheri // Dec 11, 2008 at 8:06 am

About the Roomba, I wouldn’t use it as your ONLY vacuum unless you have hard floors. On carpet it really only does a mediocre job. BUT, that being said, it’s awesome to have to pick up the fluff and schmutz after a party. And we use it on alternate weeks with our cleaning service.

• 3 katy // Dec 11, 2008 at 10:41 am

thanks for sharing the Ork poster with us. Just ordered mine.

• 4 Susan Gibbs // Dec 11, 2008 at 10:45 am

Megan, I got my mom a Roomba for Christmas a couple of years ago and it did an okay job. But a friend who worked on the advertising account said that the Scuba- the one that vacuums and mops for you- is really awesome.

• 5 Lady in a Smalltown // Dec 11, 2008 at 10:56 am

Our small kitchen window has million year old swing out rods. Of course, I don’t have curtains on them, so I use them to hang a three tier basket and a windchime. They are really great for a small open in window.

They had the vacuum sticks on sale at Wal*Mart on Black Friday, but I don’t get up for that. I think I want one.

• 6 Tracy // Dec 11, 2008 at 11:20 am

Instead of the Dirt Devil, I got a Eureka stick vac (pink!) for $9 on Black Friday. Works great for getting up cat hair and for small rugs, but wouldn’t be ideal for wall-to-wall carpet. See it in action here:

• 7 BethR // Dec 11, 2008 at 12:31 pm

if you’re using it on wood floors, you might consider getting something like the shark 2-in-1 stick and hand vac. it’s corded so it has fantastic power and goes for as long as you need it.

after about two years of not much use, our roomba’s battery would no longer charge. it only did a so-so job.

• 8 Katie // Dec 11, 2008 at 12:41 pm

Oh what an exciting thing to see today. While looking over the articles and opening tabs, I saw Making This Home. Thanks, Megan. You made me smile!
    Katie

• 9 Mary Gondola // Dec 11, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Yes. You need a Roomba. Everyone needs a Roomba.

• 10 na0 // Dec 11, 2008 at 8:45 pm

i love my roomba.
    it’s probably one of the best purchases i’ve ever made. :)
    i use it almost daily.

and i love the floating bookcases.
    thanks for the link.
    i’m going to highly consider doing something similar.

• 11 beside the seaside // Dec 12, 2008 at 1:42 pm

I have a roomba 560, hardwood floors, a toddler, a baby and sand walked in constantly. I love my Roomba, it is the best gadget, it keeps my floors crumb, sand and dust free, and the kids are very fond of their pet.

• 12 Tara // Dec 12, 2008 at 3:32 pm

I have the B&D cordless electric lawn mower and it’s great. I’ve a pretty decent sized lawn and so long as I keep up with mowing (no more than 2 weeks between) it does a fine job. As a single woman home-owner I find it really easy to move around and love not having to deal with the hassle of another internal combustion engine to maintain and like that it’s better for the environment, too.

• 13 amanda // Dec 13, 2008 at 9:30 am

Yay! Ork has Portland! Bought it!

• 14 Kelley CSmith // Dec 15, 2008 at 9:44 am

I love Roomba. We’ve got three kids and Roomba is great at picking up the bits and pieces kids seem to track all over the carpet. I’m always surprised at how much it actually picks up. We run it every couple days and use a regular vacuum once a week.