I think I want a Kindle

I’ve been contemplating getting a Kindle. A couple of months ago I wouldn’t have been thinking much about it but a few friends have them and are giving very happy reviews. I’ve been reading ebooks on my iPhone at night and I really like not having to prop book pages open, and the one-tap page turning is awfully nice. I’m also struggling with my overstretched library system where it can take over a year to get a book you’ve put on hold. I’m 240th in line to get The Omnivore’s Dilemma, 852nd for Twilight, 239rd for Anathem. I put Getting Things Done on hold back in the summer and it didn’t arrive until two weeks ago when I was (ha ha) too busy to get to the library to pick it up. Even when the library has fifty copies of a book being passed around town it can be an unbearably long wait. And yet I don’t want to buy books because I have too much stuff in my house already. The Kindle offers shopping right from the device, near instant downloading. Clearly I’m willing to invest some money for to make my nightly reading ritual a whole lot more convenient.

The thing that got me really thinking about it happened just this week. I live near a sweet little neighborhood in Seattle but it acts like a small town and everything closes early which means there is no chance you can, say, find a YA book to buy to console yourself when you’re coming down with a cold and know you’ll be up late with a box of tissues and some pity. The Kindle sounded really great right at that moment.

The more I read about it the more I’m tempted. You can read blogs, get newspapers, read sample chapters of books before you buy. You don’t need to synch the device or be near a wi-fi hotspot, you just charge the battery when you need to and everything else is taken care of without monthly fees of any sort. But, even with all this I simply can’t justify it yet, so I’ll just look longingly from over here.

· comments [63] · 12-8-2008 · categories:shopping ·

• 1 Megling // Dec 8, 2008 at 6:25 am

coming out of a 3 year lurk to say:
    Anathem is amazing. My husband and I just listened to it as we drove from Phoenix to Houston. It sparked the BEST conversations between us.

• 2 MC // Dec 8, 2008 at 6:29 am

I dunno, I have such a soft spot for the printed word. I usually buy a used copy off of Amazon.com and then keep it in my library (although I am running low on space too!) or just donate it to the bookstore of a library if I’m not crazy about the book.

• 3 Erica // Dec 8, 2008 at 6:44 am

I saw a segment on Oprah a month or so ago she did about the Kindle and I never thought I would want one, but after seeing how incredibly cool it is I have to say I was won over.

• 4 Christine // Dec 8, 2008 at 6:51 am

For me, as cool as it sounds, it comes down to a money issue. The Kindle cost over $200, and then I still have to pay for books! I don’t mind waiting for books in the library, because I always have a lot on my list to keep me occupied. If a book is a MUST read, I will sometimes buy it, read it, and then donate it to the library (I have no storage space for more books).

• 5 Janssen // Dec 8, 2008 at 7:07 am

Those request lines are INSANE. How many books can you put on hold at a time?

• 6 carol // Dec 8, 2008 at 7:08 am

I couldn’t make up my mind about the Kindle, either, but went ahead and ordered one in August. It’s the very best thing I’ve gotten in a very long time! I thought it might be too strange not holding an actual book, but it isn’t a problem at all…and the Kindle is actually easier to hold/read while in bed.

You know about all the features, so I won’t talk about those…but I really like having the dictionary and the access to Wikipedia wherever I go. Also, when I’m running out the door I don’t have to hurry and decide which book to take with me…just throw the Kindle into my bag, and I’ve got lots of books right there.

One thing…Not all of the books are $9.99. I’ve found some pretty good ones for 99 cents. :)

• 7 Jaimee // Dec 8, 2008 at 7:27 am

I actually love the idea of the Kindle, but I ended up with a subscription to Paperspine.com- which is sort of like Netflix for books. It’s a lot cheaper, and my husband and I end up with a lot less paperbook clutter. We haven’t managed to completely cut out buying books, but we have reduced the number a lot.

• 8 Marisa // Dec 8, 2008 at 7:29 am

I’ve borrowed my boyfriend’s Kindle on occasion and I’ve really loved using it, so much so that I’m considering getting one for myself. It’s especially helpful in terms of space, as it’s a great relief to not have to figure out where to stash the book you’ve just finished reading. I know they’re working on a new version, so I’m planning on holding out until that one is released.

• 9 megan // Dec 8, 2008 at 7:35 am

I broke down and bought a Kindle a few months ago after much deliberation. It has changed my life! It is fabulous at the gym too, because you don’t have to hold a book open if you’re on a machine. I’m an avid reader and LOVE it. Highly recommended!

• 10 Steph K // Dec 8, 2008 at 7:40 am

I have the kindle, and I LOVE it for traveling and reading in doctor’s offices and such. It fits in my purse better than a book, no pages get bent, and when I’m on the go and finish a book I can easily buy and download another one! They are coming out with v2 in 2009, and I wish I had waited for that because they will be fixing some inconveniences, but I do love the one I have and I might end up buying the new version when it comes out.

• 11 Suzi // Dec 8, 2008 at 7:45 am

Thanks for posting this. I have been looking at the Kindle for months now. You really can’t help but to check it out every time you go to Amazon.
    I like going to the library and requesting books (I was 300+ for Twilight, but got it relatively quickly)I get a new book every now and then, and take all the old ones to the used book store. I use the credit for kids books.

The thought of less waste and instant gratification appeals to me. But what if you don’t like the book? you can’t return it. Hmm

I suppose if it went on the Christmas list, then it would be out of your hands and into Santa’s :)

• 12 Carmyn // Dec 8, 2008 at 7:53 am

I’m fairly committed to holding a book in my hands and turning pages! I guess I’m pretty lucky with the local library where I live. I haven’t tried this yet, but I have a Goodreads.com account where I keep a to-read list and on there you can swap books, maybe that would be a better option than waiting for the library?

• 13 susie // Dec 8, 2008 at 8:04 am

i saw someone reading off a kindle while at a commercial shoot a few months back and i have to say, i was amazed at how book-like it is. as much as i love the tactile experience of turning pages, if you’re a big reader, it’s huge — you can even catch up on certain blogs / newspapers on it, which sounds nice since the screen is low glare.
    the price tag turned me off, especially since books are an additional cost. have you factored that in to your decision? that was a total dealbreaker for me, and a dealbreaker as far as a gift goes too — otherwise i think it would have made a great gift for my literary sister, but i feel like it comes alongside the burden of having to purchase e-books that she can never loan to a friend, resell, donate, etc.

• 14 Daphne // Dec 8, 2008 at 8:14 am

Megan — have you explored the library’s downloads section? They’ve recently expanded.

As a dyed-in-the-wool contrarian, I rarely read “hot” books so if I put “Twilight” on hold today I would probably be interested in reading it by the time it comes in. :)

Still and all–eventually I, too, will own a Kindle, but probably not for a few years. For me it’ll be all about not having to carry leisure reading around.

• 15 CJ :) // Dec 8, 2008 at 8:16 am

I am so saving for one as we speak. :)

• 16 Natalie // Dec 8, 2008 at 8:27 am

I’ve seen these on the bus and trolley. They are crazy cool! I’m always fascinated when people “turn the page!”

• 17 Uyek // Dec 8, 2008 at 8:30 am

I sympathise with the “too much stuff in my house already” dilemma! We’re bursting with books.
    I’ve been using Paperbackswap.com for quite a while now with moderate success. The waits can be long; it’s basically a lending library but with the added bonus of periodic parcels arriving in the mail.
    For the books for which I cannot wait, I’m resorting more and more to audio books. It’s unbeatable that I can be read to while doing at least two other things at the same time.

• 18 Kate // Dec 8, 2008 at 8:39 am

I just wish Amazon would get it together and offer the Kindle in Canada. I’d be first in line to get one. Cost of the unit aside, the savings on buying books would pay for the unit and the convenience of not having to find room for books or tote them off somewhere when I run out of space would absolutely be worth it to me.

• 19 Colleen // Dec 8, 2008 at 8:40 am

My excellent small-town library means I can’t justify the cost of a Kindle (but I want one!). However, I’ve researched them because my sister and BF both want one. I’ve read (and sorry I can’t cite my source) that, if you’re on the fence, waiting for the next version is a good idea. The housing will be sleeker and the interface will have the kinks worked out. On the other hand, it *is* a great gift! I’ll be interested in your critique if you end up getting one.

• 20 Lisa // Dec 8, 2008 at 8:42 am

I’m really tempted to get a kindle too! I’ve resolved to quit purchasing books, so this would kind of defeat that resolve, since you have to buy the download. But access to the daily NYT…so tempting. My concern is financial as well as practical – the downloaded content is fleeting, rather than permanent. A book can be reloaned at the library hundreds of times before it’s worn out. The downloaded book is good for one read, and costs a lot more than a loaned book.

• 21 sarah // Dec 8, 2008 at 9:11 am

de-lurking to say I LOVE mine. I researched & saved over the summer (debated between sony & kindle) and it was the best purchase I’ve made in a long time. Not only can you get may classics for free — it’s easy to read on & you can get new books for a fraction of the price of a hardcover. Eventually the book prices should go down as the technology becomes the norm, but it’s a wave I am so glad I’m riding!!

• 22 jenni s-g // Dec 8, 2008 at 9:21 am

I love printed books–the smell, feel, heft, covers, everything. I would rather have a house full of books than anything else. Printed books can be donated, given away, passed on, borrowed… the electronic format is linked to the reader, so it can’t be shared out to someone who doesn’t have one. Someday in the future, we may all have access to the same file format and will be able to read it on any capable handheld device, but for now, I’m sticking with plain old -fashioned paper books.

• 23 StyckyWycket // Dec 8, 2008 at 9:40 am

I love printed books because I love to tab things off in them, write in the margins, highlight things for reference in my writing later. But I also lust for a Kindle because I’m starting to freak out about clutter. I’m very much up in the air as well. So I’m right behind you on being torn as to what my next step is. I think I’ll wait it out until the Kindle gets a little more mainstream and then make the leap.

Also, I understand your pain with your library system. I live in a small country town, so in-demand books are impossible to get. After six weeks of waiting for Twilight, I just went to Barnes & Noble and bought it myself. I haven’t started reading it yet, but at least having my own copy isn’t keeping someone else from reading it.

• 24 carol // Dec 8, 2008 at 9:51 am

@20: Oh, no, Lisa…Any book you buy stays with your Kindle. All the books I’ve finished are still there. For extra protection, you can move them to a sim card (There’s space on the back of the Kindle for one.) I’ve never tried it, but I do have a sim card in my Kindle, just in case.

• 25 megan // Dec 8, 2008 at 10:33 am

Daphne – I’ve looked carefully at the ebook options from the library but they aren’t compatible with my iPhone, and our laptop is too loud (and hot) to use as a reading device in bed. Right now I use Stanza on the iPhone, which has a huge library of free books but most of them are classics which I’ve read already.

As for ebooks and downloadable audiobooks from the library I’ve actually considered getting one of those very inexpensive tiny notebook computers solely for the purpose of having access to access the library’s electronic resources. I might revisit this idea!

• 26 Amanda // Dec 8, 2008 at 10:38 am

M –

I have a copy of The Omnivore’s Dilemma and a copy of Twilight if you want to borrow them.

Amanda

• 27 bluejaygirl // Dec 8, 2008 at 11:04 am

I hear they are THE thing for gifts this Christmas. I also heard on a tv
    financial report that there is a 3 month wait because they are selling off the charts since Oprah has endorsed them.

• 28 plumpdumpling // Dec 8, 2008 at 11:21 am

If you’re really in the market, I suggest trying out the Sony version, too. One of my friends bought the Sony, because the Kindle is shaped in a way that makes it only comfortable to hold in a certain hand. (The right hand, I think.) No good for someone like me who needs to hold on to anything she can with whichever hand’s available in the subway.

• 29 Renee // Dec 8, 2008 at 11:58 am

My husband got me one for my birthday, and I love it! It’s so small, I carry it with me everywhere.

I agree on the price tag. If it was for myself, I never would have bought it, but since he did and surprised me, I didn’t have to think about the money. Now he wants one of his own!

• 30 Dana McCauley // Dec 8, 2008 at 12:48 pm

I’ve been hearing more and more about kindles. I really think this will be a household word soon.

• 31 paola // Dec 8, 2008 at 1:47 pm

The Husband is halfway through Anathem and could lend you that when he’s finished. I’m hugely tempted by a Kindle too…

• 32 teri // Dec 8, 2008 at 2:17 pm

ooooh…i want a kindle soooo desperately. the price is just a bit out of my reach. my library situation is quite similar to yours. i don’t get to the best sellers until they are a couple years old.

• 33 Alison // Dec 8, 2008 at 2:30 pm

I’ve been wanting one lately too, since a coworker brought hers into work. Mostly I want it to be a little more ecologically friendly with my New Yorker subscription & with newspapers. Partially I’m waiting to save up for it, but partially I’m waiting to see when the second version comes out. I have heard some talk of “Kindle 2.0″ but my searching hasn’t yielded much so far. (That said, I bet if it wasn’t going to be ready for the holidays they wanted to keep a lid on it so it wouldn’t hamper sales too much.)

So, might be worth waiting a bit longer. :)

• 34 Dru // Dec 8, 2008 at 2:39 pm

Buy one now. I got mine for my 24th anniversary (good husband), and love it, it came in especially useful when my son had an emergency appendectomy and I got to spend 50 hours straight in the hospital, ran out of books and just downloaded them through the whispernet. Is is the best best device, and is my new security blanket. Always have a book in my bag.

• 35 Abby // Dec 8, 2008 at 2:47 pm

From what I hear they’re impossible to get right now, anyway, so a wait-until-you-can-justify-it approach is a good idea!

I want one, too, but I’m scared to take it on the beach, which is where I’d actually use it most. And two, I fear that it will replace books like the Internet is replacing newspapers (and my job.) Unwarranted fear? Maybe. But I like being irrational sometimes.

• 36 amelie // Dec 8, 2008 at 2:57 pm

I wanted to get a kindle for my last birthday (well, i’m a librarian and i just had to get my hands on this cool new device). In the end, it was sill too expansive for the potential contents in french.
    Anyway: great device !

• 37 alianora // Dec 8, 2008 at 3:14 pm

I lust after a Kindle, but the price tag, and my doubts about how much I would like it or use it keep me from even thinking about buying one right now.

However, I do have all four Twilight books available in electronic format, should you want them. I can email them to you quite easily. Not the same as settling down with a good book, but settling down with my laptop is soothing in a different way. :)

• 38 Katie // Dec 8, 2008 at 3:53 pm

I saw a Kindle at a presentation last week. I was tempted too. They’re extremely light and the screen is easy to read for long periods of time. The presenter said a new design was coming out soon so you may want to wait for that.

• 39 Bridget // Dec 8, 2008 at 3:56 pm

Yes, get a Kindle.
    My boyfriend got one for Christmas last year and he’s on it obsessively. The prices of books and other media more than make up for the price of the device:
    We were arguing about something in the Bible, so we downloaded it for less than a dollar.
    I got to cancel our New York Times subscription at around $50/month and replace it on the Kindle at about $.19/day
    Most books he reads, since very few are new, are only a couple of dollars.

I just bought a house and we’re packing up the books to move. So far we have 23 boxes and still have a few more to go. Every time I pack a darn box I am so happy he has a Kindle now so as not to add to the piles.
    Not to mention the fact that in the past five years he’s broken two iPods, a laptop, a couple of cars, and countless glasses, and somehow the Kindle doesn’t have a scratch on it.

• 40 Tracy // Dec 8, 2008 at 4:10 pm

Megan:
    Have you seen this?

I, too, long for one, but think the 2.0 version (assuming these aren’t just doctored images) is more appealing. I wonder when Amazon will release 2.0, as the current is selling like hot cakes (11 to 13 week wait!).

A search of my local craigslist found Kindles going for–get this!–$700 and $800. Now that would buy a lot o’ books.

• 41 Kristi // Dec 8, 2008 at 5:12 pm

I think I would appreciate Kindle more if my library was more set up for it. It’s too pricey for me.

• 42 LJ // Dec 8, 2008 at 5:30 pm

I had a reader about 10 years ago. I think it was called an eBook. It was expensive, but I loved it. When they went out of business, I switched to reading books on my pda and finally just switched to my iPhone when eReader created a program for it. I have hundreds of books (nearly 1,000) that I can read on my iPhone over and over again and can purchase more very easily any time I want. I wouldn’t go back to carrying an additional device (like the Kindle).
    I love reading on my iPhone when I travel. I can carry as many books as I want on it without having to pack a single extra thing.

• 43 L. // Dec 8, 2008 at 6:08 pm

Yes, that’s exactly where I am at! Except I tipped over the edge a couple weeks ago. The ability to read imported PDFs and documents is an additional selling point for me, a big one, because I have to read a lot of documents for work. I am unable to read long documents on the computer, and I’m a consultant, so I have to pay to print them out; and the Kindle even lets you take notes on them.

I see two big drawbacks/concerns: 1) I would spend more on books, might be tempted to subscribe to the NYT, etc.; and 2) I am unhappy about the DRM issue.

There is talk that there may be two new Kindles; one an improved version of the current one, but cheaper, and the other much larger, the “collegiate” version. I wish they’d say when it/they will be announced. Of course, given the demand for the 1.0 even now, the wait list will probably be as bad make yours for Twilight look good!

• 44 L. // Dec 8, 2008 at 6:10 pm

Huh, don’t know what happened there. i meant to write “So bad it will make yours for Twilight…”

• 45 Seattlejo // Dec 8, 2008 at 6:28 pm

You know I’ve been thinking about that myself. I have less problems then you do with the local library. I toss things on hold an then suspend them and then just wait until I’m a low enough number and ready for it, and unsuspend. When I put Salman Rushdie’s recent book on my list I was number 600 something? Now I’m number 14 and there are 50 active books. I’ll be able to release the suspension when I’m ready and be pretty sure they have it.

I can’t justify the cost of the Kindle, nor the cost of the extra books, not when I could go buy a PC eee for about the same price. It will run digital editions and possibly mobipocket. (And according to a thread I found mobipocket is coming to the iphone

• 46 Mary Gondola // Dec 8, 2008 at 9:07 pm

I’ve been thinking about this too! It is expensive, that’s for sure, and there are a few drawbacks re: portability (as in, you can’t loan your book to someone) as well as aesthetic (it’s not the most appealing gadget.)

I think my biggest concern, though, is the location of the buttons. I’m left handed and it seems that product designers don’t give us southpaws much consideration. Everything from my Wacom tablet to my cellphone has buttons placed so that I wind up inadvertently pushing them when I don’t intend to. I’d really hate to buy another expensive toy that’s so difficult for me to use!

• 47 Gigi Halstead // Dec 8, 2008 at 9:25 pm

I’m a lurker, but this reminded me of something that happened to me that was library related, AND I TOO download ebooks onto my iPod to read at night, so I could relate…anyway, I was in the middle of reading “how to have a new kid by Friday” and I returned it because it was going to be overdue, so I tell the librarian that I would like to check it back out. She says “oh sorry, bummer isn’t it, but someone has it on hold so it automatically goes to them now…you can wait til they bring it back” BUMMER??? BUMMMER?? I’m in the middle of the book, I haven’t gotten past WEDNESDAY and I was planning on having a new kid by FRIDAY and all she can say is BUMMER??? So I ordered the durn thing on Amazon, have yet to finish it, have the same kid by Friday after Friday, AND to top it all off, have 3 overdue books and one overdue audiobook, because i’d rather pay the 5 cent a day fine than turn it in and have it taken away.

• 48 Jaye // Dec 8, 2008 at 11:38 pm

We too are debating the Kindle thing– well, he’s debating, I’m justifying– I want to know what’s better, Sony or Kindle? Anyone???

• 49 martha in mobile // Dec 9, 2008 at 7:52 am

I am way old-school. I read books on my very old Zire 71 Palm. Very portable and cheap; no frills, though. It’s the poor woman’s Kindle!

• 50 Maribel // Dec 9, 2008 at 8:25 am

If they had a Netflix for books type set up, I’d get one. I can’t see a reason to have a book on the Kindle after I’ve read it. If I buy a book, I usually hand it out to someone who wants to read it. You can’t do that with a Kindle. I only buy books now that I love and will read over and over….that’s not many, so it just doesn’t make sense for me….but it doesn’t stop me from lusting for one!

I also read something that says the ROI (return on investment) for the Kindle is 3 years if you read around 6 books a month.

• 51 Maribel // Dec 9, 2008 at 8:40 am

Here is the article I read about the ROI (return on investment).

• 52 shell // Dec 9, 2008 at 8:59 am

I have to say, I am one of those people who adores the smell and touch of old books. But I also am drowning in the clutter of books and the ‘stuff’ of life. So I bought a kindle. I can honestly say its one of the best things I have done for myself in years. The books work out to be cheaper in the long run, a brand new hardback book can cost you $20+, and there isnt a Kindle book over $9.99.

And I thought I read alot before, but I can not believe how much my reading has increased since I got the kindle. As soon as I finish book 1 in the series, I can download book 2 without skipping a beat!

I can read as soon as I have down time. (I even put it in a plastic zip lock bag so I can read it during a bubblebath!;))
    It keeps my page, and I can make notes. But by far my most favorite feature, is that when an author makes a reference that I don’t understand, I can do a wiki search and get as much info on it as you want! Its wonderful to be able to supplement my reading with these juicy tidbits.

For the lady who was concerned about the button placement, I’m constantly switching hands when I read, and its actually easier to click the buttons with your left hand.

You quickly get over the unprettyness of it, because honestly, just like a book, it vanishes as soon as you are in the authors world.

Its also AMAZINGLY easy on the eyes. I have a hard time staring at the computer screen all the time, but you totally forget that your reading a device.

Needless to say, I love mine.
    Best gift for my brain, ever. :)

• 53 Karan // Dec 9, 2008 at 9:06 am

I love my Kindle…but wait until v2 comes out which I think is very soon. Read the Kindle blogs out there and find out the tricks and ways to use it beyond the instruction manual. You’ll be amazed!

• 54 aarwenn // Dec 9, 2008 at 12:27 pm

From one victim of Seattle library reserve lines to another, I feel your pain. I keep thinking about a Kindle because I travel so much, and I’m such a fast reader, that I plow through two or three novels in a short vacation and they get heavy to carry around. A Kindle would solve that problem.

• 55 Haus // Dec 9, 2008 at 2:17 pm

My wonderful brother-in-law got us a Kindle last year as a Christmas present. I love it – it was GREAT when I was home with a newborn and glued to the couch nursing the baby.

I don’t use it all the time, but I do love it for all the reasons you’ve stated. The next generation model looks cool – have you seen that?

• 56 Alex // Dec 12, 2008 at 12:00 pm

IT’S WORTH IT!! I was worried about the money, too, but I love reading, and I usually read more than one book at a time. I’m also constantly moving around, and my back hates it when I read Quicksilver or the Host. The fact that I HATE not having something to do means that I always have multiple things–Nintendo DS, at least two books, cards, iPod. But since getting the kindle, it’s the only one I feel like I MUST have with me at all times. I can’t recommend it enough. Especially when reading Stephenson. The search feature saves my sanity, both in looking up words I don’t know and in figure out who the heck this Earl of Upnor is, and how I know him from a hundred pages ago…

• 57 Barbara // Dec 13, 2008 at 12:27 pm

I have my Kindle since last May, love it 2
    of the best features are that you can adjust the print size. Great for old eyes.
    and you never lose your books. Amazon stores the books for you so you can always
    go back to them. I use to have to find
    room when traveling for 6 or 7 books now
    I just take my Kindle.

• 58 DJ // Dec 17, 2008 at 2:26 pm

I love printed books so much. But the Kindle appeals to me for travelling most of all, because I hate taking heavy books on a trip, but can’t stand to be without something to read. It’s so expensive, though, and so far not enough books available for it to make me take the plunge. Also, I’d really like to be able to test drive one before committing to a purchase.

• 59 chelsea // Dec 18, 2008 at 11:19 pm

Am I the first one to suggest the Sony e-reader?

My husband compared the Kindle and the sony ereader and chose it for two reasons. The Kindle has a few limitations about the books you download and where you can download them from/the format, etc. And the price! We found the Sony eReader for a little less than $300 and he’s been able to add all of his textbooks and a million other books he’s found online for free. win-win. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

• 60 Peter // Dec 19, 2008 at 7:52 am

IF it came in black I’d get one. I dislike hand-held devices that come in white. Human hands are not the cleanest things and my kindle would end up looking dingy.

• 61 m // Dec 20, 2008 at 12:18 am

My husband bought me one for Christmas, didn’t warn me not to open any Amazon boxes that arrived before Thanksgiving and so the jig was up. It’s an ugly spud of a device–the anti-iPod in terms of looks. BUT … I use it everyday. I didn’t have to carry a bunch of books on a flight I took recently to Chicago, just the Kindle. The battery life is insanely long, and things download in a snap.

• 62 anonymous // Dec 20, 2008 at 5:30 am

I would recommend the iRex Iliad, if you don’t mind paying significantly more. It’s got a bigger screen, fewer buttons to fumble with, and you’re not tied to amazon. Also, it supports pdf reading, which the Kindle does not.

• 63 Andi // Dec 24, 2008 at 6:56 am

I think you should submit this post to the Seattle PL Public Services Librarian (or the librarian who gets things done) and/or PR department.

But I’m a librarian who dislikes people shying away from using the library. They need to work to keep people like you and your commenters using AND supporting their library!