links: Thanksgiving-y food

delicious, delicious pies, all for your viewing pleasure with links to the recipes, at The Bedlam of Beefy

pie crust 102: all butter, really flaky pie dough at Smitten Kitchen

The Dry Brine for your turkey, at The Food Section

the best jarred chestnuts, via The Food Section

Thanksgiving Recipe: Deep-Fried Stuffing On a Stick at The Stranger

Mama Stamberg’s Cranberry Relish Recipe at NPR

Pumpkin Curry at Chow

Make Your Own Digestifs at Chow, you’ll probably need these

· comments [9] · 11-25-2008 · categories:food · recipes ·

• 1 Kate // Nov 25, 2008 at 8:24 am

Oh, bless you and your recipes! How did you know I still hadn’t decided what kind of pie to bake?

Kate

• 2 Katie Alender // Nov 25, 2008 at 11:38 am

I normally don’t point out typos, but this is the cutest typo ever:

“The Dry Brine for you turkey”

For you, turkey! :-)

• 3 Seanna Lea // Nov 25, 2008 at 11:51 am

Wow! This is great, because I packed my best cookbook (not so bright), and have been looking for a good pie crust recipe to replace it!

And well, pumpkin curry. Now I know what to make for dinner on Friday (or Saturday).

• 4 Nana // Nov 25, 2008 at 4:57 pm

With all due respect to Susan Stamberg, I made this one year and it was inedible! So overwhelmingly raw onion that I had to take it off the table. Perhaps it would work with a very mild onion.

• 5 Sus // Nov 25, 2008 at 6:08 pm

Whoa. Bring on the Everclear! Those digestif recipes are guaranteed to send the whole family under the table. And maybe that’s not a bad idea…

• 6 Melissa // Nov 25, 2008 at 7:25 pm

I love a butter crust! I’m surrounded by shortening-crust lovers, and have always thought shortening crusts were disgusting. I really enjoyed that SK post.

• 7 ysha // Nov 26, 2008 at 11:35 am

That deep fried stuffing on a stick reminds me to the year we made dressing hushpuppies.

After we deep fried the turkey, we decided to deep fry balls of the dressing as well. It didn’t turn out so well – they crumbled apart in the oil a bit and left lots of floating junk.

We didn’t repeat it, but it was a fun experiment. As for the turkey, deep frying one is too much craziness for me. I use my big fryer now to do shrimp boils, which goes over much better AND doesn’t involve five gallons of OIL.

• 8 Jean // Dec 1, 2008 at 12:56 pm

Thank you so much for the link to the Dry Brine recipe. It was fabulous and very easy to do!
    But not enough turkey left over, sob sob, because it was soooo good.

You find the best recipes and techniques.

Thank you , Thank you.

• 9 paola // Dec 2, 2008 at 12:25 pm

Thanks for posting the Susan Stamberg recipes. I still don’t get why people don’t dig her mother-in-law’s cranberry relish — it’s one of our favorites. But — oh, my! — that garlicky cranberry chutney might give it a run for it’s money. We made it and it was HEAVEN.