links: food

cabbage and mushroom galeete at Smitten Kitchen

on aperitifs, at Seattle Weekly

Thai Green Curry Chicken at Posie Gets Cozy

quinoa, a good set of cooking instructions, at the NY Times. I like regular quinoa but simply cannot stand red quinoa.

Vanilla Poached Quince at Chocolate & Zucchini

How To Improve No-Knead Bread, includes the Cook’s Illustrated updated recipe

french herbed at popcorn at Everybody Likes Sandwiches

how to cook beans, thank goodness for detailed and clear instructions, every time I look this up I get “just simmer them, it’s easy” instructions which I just call not helpful seeing as I can mess up the cooking of anything. via Eating Well Anywhere.

Great Pumpkin Pasta at Posie Gets Cozy

· comments [8] · 11-10-2008 · categories:food · recipes ·

• 1 torrilin // Nov 10, 2008 at 10:20 am

Hrm. Beans really *aren’t* hard, if you can relax and handle very slow cooking. I usually use a crock pot for beans, set on the lowest setting. Otherwise, my top pick is the oven set at about 200-250F. Doing them in the oven takes more water and fussing (I check every 3-4 hours). It’s not unusual for beans cooked this slowly to take 12 or more hours to be ready to eat.

And the salt thing is a matter of much dispute. I prefer my beans presalted. I find I get far more texture difference from various cooking methods than I do from salt or no salt… and salted tastes better to me.

I don’t usually do beans on the stove top, unless they’re a quick cooking variety. Think lentils, split peas and split mung beans, since fresh ones will cook in 1-2 hours… which is about my max attention span.

• 2 Jodie // Nov 10, 2008 at 11:18 am

Dried beans must be one of the most economical items in the grocery store. Last week I cooked a one pound, 16-bean mix in the Crock Pot all day and added a can of diced tomatoes and some kielbasa with about one hour of cook time remaining. Total cost for 8 servings? About $8.

• 3 Jen // Nov 10, 2008 at 6:47 pm

one of my ex-boyfriends introduced me to spicing my popcorn with cracked black pepper and ground dill or caraway seed (and salt,) and lately I’ve been herbing it with basil and rosemary (and salt) after trying Miss Vicky’s new chip flavour.

• 4 r. // Nov 11, 2008 at 5:40 am

I’ve been cooking recipes out of this bean book for a few weeks now and it’s been fantastic. I had no idea where to begin. If you’re lucky enough to live in SF you can buy fresh beans at the farmers market.

• 5 carriegood // Nov 11, 2008 at 8:33 am

i agree with you on the quinoa. while the “plain” one is versatile and relatively easy to digest, the red one is atrocious. the one time i tried it, my GI tract told me in no uncertain terms that we would not be making that mistake again.

• 6 jo-anne in vancouver // Nov 12, 2008 at 12:03 pm

I can’t stand red quinoa either – it tastes like dirt!

• 7 mandy // Nov 12, 2008 at 1:36 pm

I’ve been confused by beans too! The new Alice Waters book has a lot of information on different kinds of beans and how to cook them and with what ingredients. It’s a pretty good book all around and pretty inspiring.

• 8 zannestar // Nov 12, 2008 at 3:02 pm

We eat a lot of quinoa at our house. Did you know that David Lynch eats quinoa too, you have to see his YouTube vids on making it? Hysterical.
    : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XliMny3AvnE

We eat a lot of beans too. I usually refer to the California Bean Board when I cook my beans: http://www.calbeans.com/