savory and sweet Autumn leaf pies

Last week I saw these Aut-yum Leaves cookies in FamilyFun magazine:

They rang a distant tinny bell in the back of my head that meant I’d seen something similar before and I found these in the Martha Stewart Living Halloween book, Savory Autumn Leaf Pies:

In searching I also found these Savory Autumn Leaf Pies that are in the Vegan Lunch Box book:

It was suddenly imperative that I make some stuffed Autumn leaves myself so I headed to Cookies in Ballard, a store specializing in cookies cutters, sanding sugars and baking supplies. They had three different 5″ maple leaf cookie cutters for me to choose from, as well as the Fox Run set of 5. Gosh I love Cookies. That night I made Autumn Leaf cookies stuffed with a cinnamon sugar mixture:

And on Sunday I made the Martha Stewart Savory Autumn Leaf Pies, they were served next to a bowl of potato leek soup. It was the perfect meal after a day spent lost in a corn maze:

• 1 HorribleLicensePlates // Oct 20, 2008 at 9:29 am

Oh yummy. I will have to try these. They turn out so beautiful!!

• 2 Jen // Oct 20, 2008 at 9:31 am

Those are the cutest things ever. I must make some this weekend. Thank you!

• 3 Jeni // Oct 20, 2008 at 9:34 am

I was just looking for a new baking project! These look wonderful.

• 4 Lecia // Oct 20, 2008 at 9:35 am

These look amazing! I’m going to try.

• 5 EnthusiasticallyHuman // Oct 20, 2008 at 9:54 am

wow–those look wonderful! i’m going to look through my cookie cutters for other shapes to work with–lots of fun!

• 6 zannestar // Oct 20, 2008 at 9:55 am

oh. my. goodness. These are pretty fabulous. I’ll have to check out Cookies too, one can not have enough cookie cutters.

• 7 Kate // Oct 20, 2008 at 10:04 am

A whole store of cookie cutters and supplies? SO jealous! Mmmmm they all look delicious!

• 8 Kimberly // Oct 20, 2008 at 11:02 am

Yours are so beautiful!When we make our leaves we put Traders Joes Pumpkin butter inside and cinnamon sugar on top. For a savory version, my family puts the Stonewall Kitchen Roasted Garlic Onion jam with a smidgen of Gorgonzola cheese inside. They are dangerously hot when they come out of the oven so let them cool before eating.

• 9 Laura // Oct 20, 2008 at 11:16 am

perfect for my housewarming party!

Just a basic pie dough recipe pretty much yeah?

• 10 megan // Oct 20, 2008 at 11:39 am

Laura – Yes. I used premade pie crust for the cinnamon cookies, for the savory ones there was a basic dough recipe that I used.

• 11 tasterspoon // Oct 20, 2008 at 11:45 am

See, and I’m envying you for that line about the corn maze! The one near me isn’t running this year and I’m super bummed.

Leaf pies it is!

• 12 Lori Paximadis // Oct 20, 2008 at 11:53 am

So adorable! My stomach is growling now…

• 13 Rachel // Oct 20, 2008 at 12:38 pm

GORGEOUS! I’m bookmarking this…

• 14 Dana McCauley // Oct 20, 2008 at 12:49 pm

Very pretty but I’d rather have more filling and less pastry.

• 15 Kari // Oct 20, 2008 at 1:01 pm

This general idea is perfect for so many things! I just checked to see if my library has the MS book – and they do. I see endless possibilities for a concept like this. Thanks Megan. I’ll keep you posted when I make something.

• 16 Jesse // Oct 20, 2008 at 1:13 pm

I thought I was over my deep and abiding love for theme food, but alas I am not. I’m all over these pies!

• 17 Sarah // Oct 20, 2008 at 2:00 pm

oh happy, yummy day! love these!

• 18 Erin N. // Oct 20, 2008 at 3:15 pm

What is the gist of the filling in the savory pies?

• 19 megan // Oct 20, 2008 at 3:18 pm

Erin – roasted root veggies, chard, onion, garlic. I did my best to locate the recipe online, anywhere, and it appears to have been wiped from the face of the internet. If I get a chance I want to type it all out so I at least have a copy of it here on my site. The recipe has a second filling, Apple-Shallot, which sounds yummy as well.

• 20 Uncle Beefy // Oct 20, 2008 at 5:15 pm

TOO autumnally fantastic!!!

• 21 Spare Ribbon // Oct 20, 2008 at 7:08 pm

Your cookie posts have made my very hungry and I just love the leaves. How festive and fall. I can’t wait to try one for Thanksgiving.

• 22 Teddy // Oct 20, 2008 at 7:10 pm

Oh great, now you’re making ME want to make stuffed leaves too!

Teddy

• 23 Shon // Oct 20, 2008 at 8:17 pm

I’m inspired to make these w/ a variety of fillings. Thanks!

• 24 Delilah Boyd // Oct 21, 2008 at 5:48 am

I just made a batch of savory Autumn Leaf pies, using a basic Brisee crust filled with minced cooked sausage, apple, onion, bread crumbs, sage, parsley, a splash of chicken broth, salt & pepper.

Very nice result! Thanks!

• 25 jek in the box // Oct 21, 2008 at 8:53 am

did you make the pastry too or did you use a ready made dough? i like ti use small puff pastry squares but never thought to make ‘em pretty! gotta try this, thanks for sharing!

• 26 megan // Oct 21, 2008 at 9:41 am

Jek – For the cookies I used premade pie dough, for the savory ones I used a basic dough recipe. Cutting out the leaves isn’t as time consuming as I feared and the results are super fun.

• 27 stepphanie // Oct 21, 2008 at 9:14 pm

OMG! i looooOOOOove that cookie store! i was there just last week :)

• 28 Lorri // Oct 22, 2008 at 6:06 am

Wish I could find that Martha Stewart recipe without buying the book. I can’t find it on her website and my library doesn’t have the book. Any suggestions? They look pretty good.

• 29 Melissa // Oct 22, 2008 at 8:43 am

Oh please oh please oh please put the recipe up. Even if you tweak the tiniest element to end-around copyright issues. :)

• 30 megan // Oct 22, 2008 at 8:50 am

Lorri – I did my best to find it online but not luck. If I have a chance I’ll type the recipe out.

• 31 Colleen/FoodieTots // Oct 24, 2008 at 7:58 pm

You have a store specializing in cookie cutters? That sounds like heaven. These look pretty good, too, and so perfectly seasonal.

• 32 Online Shopping Chick // Oct 26, 2008 at 8:33 am

Oh wow those look so good. I’m definitely going to have to try and make a batch. Just have to decide if I want sweet or savory. :)

• 33 Amber // Oct 29, 2008 at 6:28 am

I’ve been wanting to make the cookies since I saw them in Family Fun magazine, but how many cookies does the recipe make and are they costly if I’m feeding a large group?

• 34 megan // Oct 29, 2008 at 11:23 am

Hello Amber – I’m not sure, I think it would depend on if you make the dough yourself or not. Know that it does takes a lot of time.

• 35 Robin // Oct 29, 2008 at 2:24 pm

These are so cute. Do you think some sort of apple filling would work? Do all the types you’ve tried need to be served warm? I’m trying to think of something to make for my mom’s group on autumn leaves day. These would be great!

• 36 megan // Oct 29, 2008 at 3:48 pm

Robin – Just about any filling would work out. Apples, dices fairly small, would work just fine. Cook the filling before putting it in, it probably wouldn’t cook all the way through in the process.

• 37 Katie // Oct 30, 2008 at 6:16 am

What was your ratio of cinnamon to sugar? Did you add anything else to that mix? It seems like it would be a little overwhelming to get a mouth full of cinnamon… so I want to get it right.

• 38 Online Shopping Chick // Nov 9, 2008 at 12:21 pm

These look fantastic! When it comes to fillings, I’m thinking the possibilities might be endless.

• 39 Thanksgiving Appetizers for Kids | Craft Jr. // Nov 10, 2009 at 2:54 am

[...] Autumn Leaf Pocket Pies [...]

• 40 fourberries // Nov 16, 2010 at 8:42 am

Keep these in mind for other holidays as well. Last year Martha did ones for Valentine’s Day that were delicious, and so easy. You could make them any shape, and any flavors!

• 41 Easy Creamy Chicken Pot Pie | TidyMom // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:36 am

[...] how fun would it be to make autumn leaf hand pies!  ooooh, I may do that next [...]

• 42 Fall’s Finest Desserts: Recipe 1 | Knapsack Of Decadence // Oct 3, 2013 at 7:45 pm

[...] Fall leaves picture taken by Wikipedia Commons. (Middle right) Aut-yum cookies picture taken by Not Martha; the original photo was pulled from the book, Halloween: The Best of Martha Stewart [...]