Canon XSi vs. XS, I’m being a bit obsessive now

Well damn, maybe I should have waited to choose a camera because since I bought one the price for the Canon XS has dropped to $550 $475! That is with the lens and everything! The price of the XSi, the one I bought, has dropped to $640 $655.

Right. I have a camera and now I must stop paying attention to the falling prices.

Also, this fairly inexpensive ($85) Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens has been recommended by a number of people who love it in the comments of my previous camera post with the explanation that it will help me take good pictures indoors in low light, which sounds so very appealing with the rainy winter setting in. It’s going on my Wishlist, maybe I’ll get it for Christmas. Maybe?

· comments [26] · 10-9-2008 · categories:shopping · technology ·

• 1 caro // Oct 9, 2008 at 12:15 pm

Definitely pick up a 50mm. It will make you not worry about falling camera prices. It’s a light, fast lens and it’ll make you feel like a genius photographer when you see the results.

• 2 Jolene // Oct 9, 2008 at 12:18 pm

Where did you buy the camera? Some places will give you a refund of the difference in price if you see the new price advertised within a week of the time of purchase. It may be worth a shot. Then you won’t have to worry about falling camera prices and can maybe put the difference toward the new lens!

• 3 michelle // Oct 9, 2008 at 12:20 pm

did you buy from amazon? they’ll refund if the price goes down in 30 days. http://www.slate.com/id/2156900

• 4 andrea // Oct 9, 2008 at 12:20 pm

I was gonna say exactly what Jolene said. It’s worth asking, right?

• 5 Kelly Anne // Oct 9, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Taking pictures in low light will always be tough, unless you use a flash… but, the 50 makes it easier and is the best $85 you’ll put towards your camera.

The.

Best.

• 6 jonah // Oct 9, 2008 at 12:34 pm

i second the 50mm!!! my nifty fifty has stayed on my camera 90% of the time since it arrived. the best spent money ever!

• 7 Jen Yu // Oct 9, 2008 at 12:35 pm

If you are on the go a lot and shoot in moderately low-light settings, then go for the lens… That said, a tripod is what you really need in low light (landscapes, food, portraiture, stuff). Sure, fast glass is really nice, but it can only help you but so much and if you don’t have steady hands at lower light levels, then a tripod will fix that in ways glass never can. If you do tabletop shoots in restaurants or such, grab a gorillapod. If you are shooting at home a lot, get a true tripod ($30, easy – or if you want a super awesome tripod setup you can drop $300+ for the tripod and another $300+ for the ballhead – email me if you want specs for that set up – it’s pricey, but amazing). For the shooting I do, nothing beats a zoom lens (wide to tele) for versatility. Best of luck!

• 8 sarahelizabeth // Oct 9, 2008 at 12:36 pm

oooh…good advice. i’m shopping for a camera right now

• 9 food librarian // Oct 9, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Don’t look back. That’s my motto on purchases! :) And yes, I hope Santa brings you one! (And I paid $100 for mine…you are getting a good price!)

• 10 Joanna Schmidt // Oct 9, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Ok, obsessio, stop obsessing about the price and start taking pictures! Look at the last few posts!

;)

• 11 Sarah // Oct 9, 2008 at 12:59 pm

ooh, ok that camera and lens are going on my wishlist!

• 12 kelly // Oct 9, 2008 at 1:09 pm

Get the 50mm lens. Seriously. I am so in love with that thing — my fiance jokes that he’s jealous of it.

When people compliment my photography, I cannot take credit for it… it’s that lens!

• 13 M Mobley // Oct 9, 2008 at 1:30 pm

must echo the wonderfulness of the 50mm. Prime lenses typically, take extraordinarily lovely images. the best $80 you will spend on your camera… after that I recommend a bounce flash – the on board flash is really only good (IMO) for fill flash – the one you stick on the shoe will significantly improve your flash shots – of course a decent one will run about $300…. but there are always deals around :)

• 14 Dame Wendy // Oct 9, 2008 at 2:22 pm

YAY! The plastic fantastic lens! I LOVE mine. For the price, it takes pretty incredible shots. It definitely opened up a new world for my pictures. :)

• 15 megan // Oct 9, 2008 at 2:45 pm

joanna – What you don’t know is that I’ve been out of town all week getting pictures of moutain views from a lodge! I wanted to make sure I had the camera in time for the trip, was worth it.

• 16 ben compton // Oct 9, 2008 at 3:31 pm

The 50mm is a great idea. The biggest problem is the 1.6x lens multiplier that the non-full-frame sensor applies to the lens, which makes it more like an 80mm which is pretty tight for indoor shots. But f/1.8 gives you lots of light and narrow depth of field and all that good crap. And because it’s so cheap it’s hard to go wrong with it. A little portable desk tripod might be nice, and I think the IR remote shutter release is pretty cheap.

• 17 megan // Oct 9, 2008 at 3:56 pm

Thanks Ben! I have a lot to learn, and a lot of equipment to gather.

• 18 Charm // Oct 9, 2008 at 6:12 pm

I lovelovelove my 50mm 1.8f but i ADORE! my friends 50mm 1.4f.

If you can wait and save up for the 1.4 then do so but if you’re like me and throwing down another couple of hundred for a lens is scary, then the 1.8 will not let you down.

There are also a bunch of flickr groups dedicated to these lenses if you need more convincing :)

• 19 sara // Oct 12, 2008 at 1:12 pm

I am loving all of these suggestions!! I just purchased the XSi and then the 55mm 1.8f lens!!

Keep them coming!

• 20 Sara // Oct 13, 2008 at 6:12 am

I am not sure if you are interested, but I did find this on sale!!

Opinions about it?

• 21 oma // Oct 13, 2008 at 8:56 am

lurker who has to pop out to say that i have the canon XT and the 50mm lens and i love the two together like they’re my child. the 50 has given me the best photos i’ve taken. it’s a must. have fun!

• 22 Gabester // Oct 16, 2008 at 7:20 am

I had the 50mm f/1.8 (“nifty fifty”) and it’s certainly nice, but you may find as I did that the fixed focal length, and a fairly long one at that, will limit you. I found myself backing all the way up even in large rooms or outdoors just to get everything I wanted in the frame. If I may suggest a more expensive, but much more versatile alternative, consider the Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (Image Stabilizer) lens which lists for $200 but can be found for as little as $80 used (as I did). It’s sharp, image stabilized and cheap!

• 23 gesikah // Oct 23, 2008 at 7:48 am

Another yes to the 50mm f/1.8. I love mine to death, the only time I have ever been frustrated by it was when trying to take pictures of our (admittedly smallish) living room renovation. Hopefully I will be getting a second lens soon to take care of those situations though and I can put the money I saved by getting the nifty-fifty initially on a better zoom.

• 24 spelliott@gmail.com // Oct 25, 2008 at 2:38 pm

I like the 50mm 1.8 but don’t use mine very often because I have a zoom with ISO that covers that range. I’ve been thinking about selling it. If you are interested, email me. :)

• 25 Maria // Jan 5, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Hey Martha,

We took Eliza’s class together a little while ago. I studied your post on this camera and ended up buying my own just a couple days ago.

Did you end up getting this lens after all? Just wondering if it made a significant difference in your photos.

• 26 megan // Jan 5, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Hi Maria, I do not have the lens yet, I was hoping to get it for Christmas. But, I’ve had two more friends give the lens a glowing review since this post.