links: the home

Are there some specific CFL models that will light just like my old soft incandescent light bulbs? at Ask Metafilter

Ah! Spider Plates! at Home By Sunset

Tidy little bedside table at Mighty Goods

How can I get this awful, musty smell out of my towels? at Ask Metafilter

The truth about thread count. at Kottke. The sheets you’re looking for are percale, good ones are harder to find that you might expect.

How do I stop at futon mattress from slipping? at Ask Metafilter. The answer, those grippy things you put under rugs. It works!

· comments [6] · 10-7-2008 · categories:the home ·

• 1 Torrilin // Oct 7, 2008 at 9:45 am

Huh. I’d rather argue with Kottke (and the shops cited). If you like smooth, crisp sheets, percale is what you want. To me instead of feeling crisp, even the best quality percale feels a bit rough and it’s *very* chilly.

Since I’m always too cold, and I like soft things over rough things, I prefer almost any fabric to percale. Flannel is very close to ideal, since even when it’s -20F outside, it will warm up quickly.

• 2 Desiree Fawn // Oct 7, 2008 at 10:16 am

Oh my word! I’ve been dying for a futon slippage solution!
    Merci!

• 3 Rachel // Oct 7, 2008 at 10:18 am

My mom always told me anything over 350 and the number doesn’t matter, only the material. This was interesting reading. And a great reminder that it’s almost time to swap for my flannel sheets!

• 4 julie. // Oct 8, 2008 at 8:06 am

My mom has told me for 2 decades to only buy percale sheets. They feel nice and won’t wrinkle nearly as much as other cotton sheets. They *are* hard to find though. I never see them on the shelf at places like Target. I’ve seen them on occasion at Macy’s and know they have them online at Garnet Hill.

• 5 Mary T // Oct 8, 2008 at 10:51 am

That bedside table is brilliant.

• 6 Livi // Oct 10, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Baking soda is the cure for musty towels. Dump 1/2 a box right in the wash.