Oreo vs. Hydrox vs. Newman O’s

The other week Scott and I had an Oreo/Hydrox/Newman O’s taste off for no reason at all other than to celebrate having Hydrox around again, at least for a while. We broke the tasting into Overall Cookie, Just the Biscuit Part, and The Creme, with a side consideration for dunking in milk.

For Overall I liked Oreos while Scott preferred the less sweet Hydrox. I preferred the extra crunch that the Oreos had and found that the flavors were the most balanced. The Newman O’s had the crunchiest cookie and I found it had the most pronounced cocoa flavor, but I thought the cookies tasted slightly off, something which came through most when we compared the creme fillings.

Oreo had the sweetest and grittiest filling. I though the Hydrox filling had too many hints of powdered sugar/cornstarch, though Scott liked that it tasted like cake frosting from a can. I really disliked the Newman O’s filling, it had a strong taste of raw grain to me, but it was Scott’s favorite for being not too sweet.

When dunked in milk for two seconds the Newman O’s held their crunch the best of all, with Hydrox showing signs of getting soggy fast, and Oreo’s going “straight to mush!”. A friend of mine uses Newman O’s to mix into her homemade cookies and cream ice cream because they hold up against getting too soggy.

· comments [59] · 09-26-2008 · categories:food ·

• 1 Perfectly Disgraceful // Nov 17, 2008 at 6:16 pm

I’m another fan of the Whole Foods brand oreo knock-off. I love them so much that they’ve ruined me for all other oreo-style cookies.

• 2 Brickbat Kid // Nov 17, 2008 at 6:20 pm

I am also a fan of the 365 whole foods oreos. They peel apart best, and the icing is not as creamy.

• 3 James B.Curtis // Feb 6, 2009 at 12:58 pm

I consider Hydrox the original gourmet cookie. Oreo’s are the comercial ripoff that are sticky sweet and over hyped. The Hydrox flavor is rich and delicate. The Oreo is heavy. You only eat an Oreo if you can’t find Hydrox.

• 4 Isaac X Vallentyne // Feb 27, 2009 at 3:30 pm

I must say that I have found the one Oreo-like cookie that I think is the best. I’ve tried JoJo’s and Oreos but this Japanese cookie beats them both.

http://www.furuta.co.jp (this is the company that makes it) under cookies the black vanilla cookie blue and whtie box.

• 5 Isaac X Vallentyne // Feb 27, 2009 at 3:37 pm

here is a link to wht the cookie box looks like :)

• 6 Roger Bernstein // Apr 12, 2009 at 1:10 am

Newman-o’s simply are the best….crunch and the mint augments this fabulous cookie….got that right, baby!!!!

• 7 Ella // Jan 1, 2011 at 6:04 pm

We just tried Newman-O’s for the first time, and I couldn’t even get through one bite without having to spit it out. It tasted like chemicals (although obviously that’s not what it was), and an hour later, and several food attempts later at trying to get the awful taste out of my mouth, it’s still somewhat there. If you’re a “supertaster,” you probably won’t like these. Awful.

• 8 KC // Feb 18, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Put all 3 on a counter, same size, same price and I’ll pick Hydrox every time. Oreo’s are too sweek and Neuman’s just don’t taste right.

Hydrox wins my taste test.

• 9 When It's Okay to be a Rip-Off | Almost Bohemian // Nov 1, 2012 at 3:52 am

[…] is only offered in some cookies and crime ice creams. (You can however enjoy this well-developed blog post comparing the […]