links: misc

Handy Dandy Guide to Returning Fall Television 2008 and Guide to September 2008 Series Premieres

Fantastic Contraption, an amazingly addictive game where you build a machine to get an object from point A to B, after you succeed on each level you can see how other players solved it. Via Kottke.

When This Guy Talks, NPR Listens, about the guy who teaches NPR personalities how to speak, at the Washington Post

Dr. Horrible Reign Continues: Soundtrack, Webcomics, DVD at Wired

DIY Dawn simulator at Ask Metafilter

What Terry Pratchett book should I read first? at Ask Metafilter

Love Leaves No Known Survivors In Dead Space’s Future at io9

Lively Ivy has created a deconstructed game that she calls a confused Soviet knockoff of American McGee’s Alice, I cannot wait to play it

What are the most intellectually stimulating podcasts? at Ask Metafilter

· comments [7] · 09-11-2008 · categories:misc ·

• 1 Stephanie // Sep 11, 2008 at 8:37 am

“The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents” by Pratchett needs a mention…….it’s a twisted variation of the Pied Piper tale. I laughed myself silly while reading it; I highly recommend the title. :)

• 2 Kitt // Sep 11, 2008 at 10:12 am

Thanks for the NPR voice-trainer link. How fascinating that is. I’ve done voice-overs and recording for the blind, and I can tell you it’s no mean feat to sound natural and conversational when you’re reading aloud.

• 3 Rachel // Sep 11, 2008 at 12:48 pm

Regarding the point A to point B game, you might like Aqua Forest. It’s an AMAZING game very similar to that and it’s for the iPhone. It really blew me away!

• 4 amanda // Sep 11, 2008 at 6:38 pm

Yes, the contraption game is super addictive. My husband and I have stayed up way too late going: “No, try that thing and make it flip… maybe make it longer? okay, try this…”

Heh.

• 5 Erica // Sep 12, 2008 at 6:06 am

Ooh! I freaking LOVE Terry Pratchett! My absolute favorite is the Tiffany Aching Trilogy, which is a stand alone and you don’t really need to know anything about Discworld to read them. Also second Stephanie’s suggestion. Heck, they’re all good.

• 6 EatWell // Sep 12, 2008 at 1:42 pm

OMG…the Dr. Horrible vid is still free on Hulu?! Thank you!!

• 7 beccajo // Sep 14, 2008 at 10:31 am

i cannot stop playing that contraption game. plz help! stuck on ‘four balls’