links: food

soft boiled eggs at Cooking For Engineers

how to boil an egg at Kottke

orchid-filled ice spheres at Liqurious

where to find ice sphere molds at NY Times

Corn syrup vs. golden syrup at Baking Bites

Soft Seasoned Pretzels at Joy The Baker

Open a Wine Bottle Without a Corkscrew at Wired, via The Food Section

· comments [7] · 09-9-2008 · categories:food ·

• 1 Joyful Abode: Domesticity by Trial and Error // Sep 9, 2008 at 8:07 am

I also have a hard-boiled egg illustrated tutorial!

Off to read about Joy’s pretzels now!

• 2 Joy the Baker // Sep 9, 2008 at 11:40 am

How to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew! Brilliant!

• 3 Nancy // Sep 9, 2008 at 1:45 pm

I’m trying to envision a situation in which I don’t have a corkscrew, but I do happen to have a bottle of wine, a screw and a hammer. Cool idea, though!

• 4 Wyrd // Sep 9, 2008 at 5:13 pm

I too faced the “how to open the wine bottle without a corkscrew” problem whilst out camping. Luckily my father, who knows everything was handy. He just grabbed my wooden spoon and banged on the cork until it was shoved INSIDE of the bottle. You can’t recork it, but hey, who cares, you get it open.

• 5 paola // Sep 9, 2008 at 6:07 pm

There is absolutely no comparison between corn syrup and golden syrup. Thank goodness you can easily get hold of it in Seattle…

• 6 Jilian // Sep 10, 2008 at 5:15 am

I had to click on the ‘open a wine bottle without a corkscrew’ link because we’ve faced that situation before. I laughed when the solution was the same one my husband came up with all on his own. He uses a power screwdriver though – because it’s more fun of course :) We actually broke all 3 of or corkscrews in a week or two – and used this method for months! It works great! :)

• 7 Evan // Apr 25, 2011 at 12:35 pm

That’s hilarious… opening a bottle of wine without a corkscrew. I remember trying this as a young man abroad. We ended up using my knife, eventually cutting the cork to shreds, and then drinking wine with bits of cork in it. Ah, the glory days.