Calphalon Kitchen Essentials at Target

Yesterday Scott and I found ourselves in a Target so new that Google Maps refused to believe that the address existed (so much for the convenience of being able to look up driving directions on the iPhone). While we were looking for the aisle where the doomsday-sized packages of Ivory soap are kept we passed some things marked clearance in the kitchen area. So, we bought a big 2 quart brother for the tiny 1 quart saucepan I bought a while back instead of spending a lot more on a shinypretty All-Clad. I’m giving some serious consideration to the 3 quart saute pan with a lid, something we’ve been improvising a lot lately by wrapping a splatter screen in tin foil and weighing it down with a plate. An actual lid would be way safer than our current method, don’t you think?

So, while the Calphalon Kitchen Essentials aren’t quite as sexy as All-Clad I’ve been pretty darn happy with the one I have. If you need a saucepan I can recommend getting yourself to a Target and seeking out one of these while they are on sale. The 2 quart size is on sale for $28 (instead of $40) and I forget the sale price on the 1 quart size, though I think I bought mine for $17 earlier this year. They are heavy enough to hold heat nicely and clean up easily and, happily, these are dishwasher safe.

· comments [17] · 08-22-2008 · categories:food · shopping ·

• 1 Alison // Aug 22, 2008 at 6:19 pm

Ooooh, yes, I have the smaller one and I love it. Very simple, well made, and they get the job done.

Also, I love the glass lids. I’ve always had metal-lidded pots growing up, and it’s like magic to see in the pots! :)

• 2 Jess // Aug 22, 2008 at 7:03 pm

Hubby and I received a set of the Calaphon Kitchen Essentials (along with some extras, like a larger pot, 3 qt. saute pan, and 2 qt. saucepan) and I LOVE them. The best part is how easily the pure stainless steel (we have a few non-stick too) cleans up in the dishwasher, since I hate cleaning pots and pans by hand. Enjoy!

• 3 susan dennis // Aug 22, 2008 at 7:04 pm

what new Target store? where?

• 4 megan // Aug 22, 2008 at 7:15 pm

Susan – There is a new Target store in Renton, on the other side of the airport and near-ish the Fry’s. It’s so new the floors aren’t even scuffed yet.

• 5 michelle // Aug 22, 2008 at 11:05 pm

I have these and got some for wedding gifts… then I saw some of them went on clearance and got the other pieces I didn’t already have! They are absolutely my favorite pots & pans- and I have had some fancy ones in the past (like a 100$ saucepan sold by Cutco).

• 6 Jen // Aug 23, 2008 at 7:51 am

don’t buy the doomsday sized packs of soap! because once you make your own you won’t want to use it and you’ll be stuck with it (I’ll donate mine to a women’s shelter.)

• 7 alison // Aug 23, 2008 at 8:06 am

I bought one of these pans in the “wok” shape probably almost five years ago. It is still my favorite pan, I use it every day and it has held up really well.

• 8 Kitt // Aug 23, 2008 at 8:55 am

Nice! I love good stainless cookware. One hint: If the inside finish gets cloudy, Barkeeper’s Friend will clean it right up. Works great on copper, too.

• 9 Mer // Aug 23, 2008 at 2:00 pm

My mom got some Calphalon pans as a gift and she’s raving about hers. Now you’ve convinced me to consider buying them for myself. I just can’t bring myself to pay All-Clad prices.

• 10 Molly P. // Aug 24, 2008 at 12:29 pm

We received the full set of these pots/pans as a wedding gift. Love the look of them, but think that they are the worst pots/pans that I’ve used. I’ve had food consistently scorch on these pans, making clean up a pain.

• 11 Emily // Aug 25, 2008 at 6:20 am

For a cheaper and safer cover for your saute pan, go to a restaurant supply store and get a lid. Just a lid. It’ll be bigger than your pan, very inexpensive, and the joy of using something on any pan in the kitchen because that’s what it’s designed to do is terrific. Usually have a heat proof knob/handle, so it’s easy to use. I put mine in the dishwasher. Very smug about not being matchy matchy with all my cookware!

• 12 Mary T. // Aug 25, 2008 at 11:21 am

Pish-posh — we went to that Target last winter! Yes, we were living in Renton then. I can’t believe it’s not on Google yet! (This is just me trying and failing to be cooler than you, Not Martha!)

The Calphalon, though — that *is* exciting. I plan to replace our pans. Our Calphalon that we got for our wedding…well, why did we? It’s a pain to have to wash it, the surface scratches and it’s not as useful, blah blah blah. I’m starting to see the light about paying more not always being worth it!

• 13 megan // Aug 25, 2008 at 4:34 pm

Molly – I have to admit, I don’t have any frying pans from this line but I’ve never had trouble when making quinoa or rice. In the Amazon reviews for a different line (Chef’s Classic I think) a reviewer mentions that the pots sold in the whole set actually have thinner bottoms than the same brand pots bought individually. Perhaps this is the case with the Calphalon as well?

Mary – No way! It seemed so clean and well stocked, even the landscaping was baby-shrub new. I was completely convinced the entire store had arrived at that spot a month ago. Maybe Google Maps just hates Renton? Maybe they think it’s all top-secret Boeing property?

• 14 phillygirl64 // Aug 26, 2008 at 7:37 am

I had a frying pan from the Target line that I really liked…I have since gotten the regular Calphalon ones in the 2-pack from BB&B or Macy’s

• 15 Mer // Aug 26, 2008 at 4:34 pm

@Molly – do you have gas or electric? I’m condemmed to electric unless we move – plus it’s a smooth glass top range, so I’m thinking the scorch factor won’t be much of one for me. But I could see how you could scorch these babies on a nice gas range.

• 16 shelterrific » Blog Archive » blogwatch: where we’ve been clicking this week // Aug 29, 2008 at 6:35 am

[...] Calphalon at real-world prices is now available At Target. Not Martha has the scoop. [...]

• 17 JL // Sep 7, 2008 at 6:39 pm

Have you considered a universal lid? They have circular indentations in several sizes so they fit multiple pots/pans. I love mine (from a yard sale), it fits almost everything and saves a lot of space in the cabinets.