Test 4

This is, sigh, test number four of attempts to post from my iPhone. Again please disregard unless you’re anxious to find out if I’ve gotten the photos to show up yet or not.

update: Alrighty. This is what I’ve learned about the iPhone app for WordPress, you cannot change the size that the image posts, at least not yet, so you’ll have the thumbnail linking to the larger image effect which is inconvenient. The image won’t automatically realign itself, which is something that worked with my old phone and it’s suspiciously awesome camera. (Will the photo automatically rotate in Flickr? Must investigate.) The image will always appear below the text. But, I’ve figured how to fix the ../../../tmp business going on. If you happen to be trying to figure out the same thing let me know.

· comments [13] · 08-18-2008 · categories:mumbling ·

• 1 chez shoes // Aug 18, 2008 at 6:52 pm

I see a photo…

• 2 missa // Aug 18, 2008 at 7:00 pm

YAY pics!!!!

• 3 Rebecca // Aug 18, 2008 at 7:12 pm

By now it’s clear that the picture is visible, so the following is just about joining in the celebration:

I CAN SEE IT! THE PICTURE IS UP! IT’S GOOD!

• 4 scoutj // Aug 18, 2008 at 7:20 pm

yes! A PHOTO!

• 5 Darci // Aug 18, 2008 at 9:04 pm

a picture, a picture…wahoo. I am starting up with WordPress. Any chance of a tutorial on how you made this happen?

• 6 liz // Aug 19, 2008 at 3:34 am

i see it! even through bloglines – the picture is there :)
    i think you’ve got it!

• 7 Nicole // Aug 19, 2008 at 5:21 am

Oddly enough I see a photo. I say “oddly” because when I read your blog posts with the rest of my feeds in Safari there are never photos. I like it!

• 8 Justin // Aug 19, 2008 at 6:16 am

I just discovered the wordpress app for iphone and was estatic that I could just make a picture appear ;) (I make wordpress novices look brilliant). I hope you post more of your findings!

• 9 Jennifer // Aug 19, 2008 at 7:25 am

Whoo-hoo! I see a photo!

• 10 megan // Aug 19, 2008 at 7:44 am

Darci – My trouble was that the images I uploaded from the WordPress iPhone app weren’t showing up. They were reportedly being sent to a folder named ../../../(etc)../wordpress/tmp which didn’t exist. The fix was simple but hard to locate. In a normal browser click on Settings (to the right of the screen across from the main tabs). Then click on Miscellaneous. That page will say “Store uploads in this folder” with a form box. Under the form box it says “Default is wp-content/uploads” BUT inside of that form box was my nefarious ../../../etc/wordpress/tmp path. If you have the same thing going on simply delete the weirdness in that form box and leave it blank. After I did that the iPhone pictures I uploaded through my WordPress app appeared.

Ok, I hope that helps. There are a bunch of other FAQs and Support notes on the iPhone for WordPress site:

• 11 Megan B // Aug 19, 2008 at 8:21 am

I’m impressed! I can’t even get the app to recognize my blog, and I’ve found the support info to be confusing. Maybe they’ll work out some of the kinks and make an update of the program…?

• 12 jo // Aug 19, 2008 at 8:30 am

Sorry to hear about all the problems.

This might cheer you up – The Portland Oregonian featured your pies in a jam jar today in the food section. As soon as I saw the cover of the section I yelled “Not Martha! They stole her idea!” but they feature a link to your site.

• 13 megan // Aug 19, 2008 at 8:55 am

Jo – Thanks for letting me know! I found it online here, no pictures though.

Megan B – Is the WordPress you have installed at least 2.5.1? You need that one or higher to get the app to work. My other problem was the one xmlrpc.php.file that is described on the support page. After that was in place it worked. My file was missing because I customized the template and took it out somewhere along the way.