how to buy a sewing machine

I have a guest post over at Shelterrific today on buying a sewing machine. This is always a question I dread, I know just enough to give a bit of advice but not enough to feel like I’m not potentially steering somebody towards spending a lot of money on something they don’t like, or worse, won’t use very often. So, here’s to hoping it helps a little.

· comments [6] · 08-14-2008 · categories:craft · sewing · shopping ·

• 1 Cindy // Aug 14, 2008 at 8:49 pm

Thank you for posting this! I’ve been looking for a sewing machine for some time now. :P

• 2 Kimberly Michelle // Aug 15, 2008 at 10:09 am

What perfect timing, as I was just headed out this weekend to look for a new machine! Thank you!

• 3 Carol // Aug 16, 2008 at 1:53 am

i need to purchace a embrodiery machine
    but not sure which brand i had an elna 13 years now it can’t be fixed or parts replaced.please help

• 4 Shirley Cohen // Aug 17, 2008 at 6:54 am

I have been sewing for the top designers in Miami for years. I learned on the basic Singer, but when I went to upgrade I switched to Bernina. The secret is having the right tools for the right job. Bernina has a wide range of “feet” to pick from and holds it’s trade in value.

• 5 Eliza // Aug 19, 2008 at 6:17 pm

Let’s hear it for Berninas! After many years of using my mother’s and grandmother’s hand-me-down Singers, I finally got a Bernina and man, do I love that thing.

• 6 Star // Oct 12, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Living in Italy, I wanted an Italian machine so that buying parts would be less of a problem logistically and, hopefully, economically. I also just wanted a machine capable of tackling heavy fabrics, doing straight, simple zig-zag and buttonhole stitches, and that’s it. Apparently, such an animal doesn’t exist, anymore. All the Necchi’s have lots of machine-done embroidery stitches, which I don’t want (because I prefer to do my own needlepoint: http://arsacupicturaestellae.blogspot.com), and the darn thing cost about E. 650,00 a few years ago, when shortly thereafter I saw a similiar *looking* Necchi advertized on T.V. for E. 150,00, so I felt disappointed, but have decided to console myself with the fact that the latter machine is probably less powerful, and let it go, what’s done is done. I’m vaguely disappointed in the machine because it doesn’t do a long enough stitch to be handy for basting (oh, the things we take for granted) and the buttonholer has never worked, but what’s done is done, and I didn’t and don’t have the time to fuss, or even to sew enough to make fussing worthwhile. Might have to start making my own pants and skirts, though, because the European cut just doesn’t work for me. Anyone else with a Necchi? Why do people love Bernina’s so much? Thanks! Star
    My Milan Italy: http://mymilanitaly.blogspot.com
    Ars acupicturae stellae – Star’s Needlepoint Art: http://arsacupicturaestellae.blogspot.com