links: food

Cointreau Pearls at Not Cot

Alright already, I’ll make the famous NYTimes chocolate chip cookie recipe, just as soon as I find a 3 1/2 ounce scoop. The entry at Orangette finally convinced me.

Gin and Titonic Ice Cube Molds at Cool Hunting

How much bacon should be added to Rice Krispies treats? at Ask Metafilter

how to make candied herbs at Ask Metafilter

how safe are cakes baked in mason jars? at Ask Metafilter

white peach sangria at Liqurious

Can I patent a sandwich? at Ask Metafilter

Strawberry Freezer Jam at Posie Gets Cozy

ice brewed tea at Tea Spot NYC, also see the entry on wild tea, it’s naturally sweet

The Accidental Wine Company, they sell bottles which, simply, have labels that are damaged. At Chow.

cablebox, at The Girl In the Green Dress

Review: Mark Bittman’s Rosemary-Lemon White Bean Dip at The Kitchen

Chow brings up the jury stick, a useful thing I’d not heard of before

Ask The Splendid Table: Go slowly to keep chicken breasts moist at Seattle PI

James Beard’s English Muffin Bread at Between Stupid and Clever, that looks fantastic

Propery Salted on shoots

Which one is worse for you: high-fructose corn syrup or aspartame? at Ask Metafilter

· comments [7] · 07-23-2008 · categories:food ·

• 1 Gwen // Jul 23, 2008 at 7:22 am

Don’t worry about getting a scoop for the NYT cookies — when I tried, the dough was actually too stiff from refrigeration to scoop properly (even after sitting out at room temperature for nearly an hour), and the chocolate disks tend to break against the scoop, so I ended up using my hands to form them, using “oversized golf ball” as my standard.

• 2 Jen // Jul 23, 2008 at 12:47 pm

I did not love the NYT cookies. They tasted “bakery-ish” to me. They certainly weren’t bad, just not what I expect from a homemade cookie. As the article mentioned, people have aversions to bakery cookies for just that reason, I guess. However, I just realized that if I added macademia nuts, they might taste just like my favorite Pepperidge Farm cookies, so I’m going to give that a shot.

• 3 Wine anyone? « No Slivers Here // Jul 23, 2008 at 3:57 pm

[...] was browsing through my Google Reader today and came across a post from Not Martha that piqued my interest. Sometime I just browse her link posts but today the word wine caught my [...]

• 4 eM // Jul 24, 2008 at 8:47 am

I am a slightly modified tollhouse girl myself:
    double the vanilla, use toasted pecans as the nuts.
    homemade beats ANY bakery ANYWHERE

• 5 Ana // Jul 24, 2008 at 9:00 am

trust me, those chocolate chip cookies are worth it. but forget the scoop- just make sure you have the right types of flour. that’s more important.

they go perfectly with iced tea, too. thanks for the link!

• 6 Michelle // Jul 24, 2008 at 8:30 pm

the way i cook my chicken breast (learnt from my sister-in-law) is to put them on a wire rack over a deep-ish baking sheet full of hot water. presto! moist chicken every time.

• 7 Michelle // Jul 24, 2008 at 8:30 pm