links: the home

this is sweet, tin can wall garden, at Craftzine

keypad deadlock at SundryBuzz. I lost my house and car keys many, many times in the past. So much so that I clutch my keys to make sure they are there any time I come near a lock. Once that healthy fear subsides I think I’ll start putting these on my doors.

using shiny christmas ornaments to protect your tomato plants, at Modern Cottage

outlet for minimalists, love this, at Unplugged

I wanna live in an RV, at Ask Metafilter

natural indoor spider control suggestions? at Ask Metafilter

Best Product: American Pride Paint at Re-Nest. This is what we used to cover every wall and ceiling in our house and it’s doing well so far.

how to make a hop trellis at Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories. This year I discovered how fascinating climbing plants are. I wonder if we have a place in our to grow hops next year?

recycled umbrella shade at Craftzine

how removing a skirt can transform a chair, at Readymade

little seedling at Product Dose. I love the various plantable containers I’ve been seeing lately, there might be hope for my plant killing self yet.

Plain Frost Window Film by Graham & Brown at AT

· comments [7] · 07-11-2008 · categories:the home ·

• 1 holly // Jul 11, 2008 at 9:31 am

We’ve had that keypad deadbolt for about 2 1/2 years now. Got it right after I locked myself & younger son out (and my cell phone in).

I also like that our older son can let himself in if he gets home when I’m not (rare) but I don’t have to worry about him keeping track of a key.

You can have 2 different codes, when we go away I give our petsitter her own code and then take it out after we get home.

• 2 becky // Jul 11, 2008 at 10:54 am

We have a lockbox mounted near our back door for emergencies, friends, and tradespeople. It’s a cheaper solution ($30-$40) but a little less easy to use.

• 3 Marcie // Jul 12, 2008 at 5:06 am

I love your random link posts! They are awesome! I definitely want to get a few of the seedling planters for my mom for Christmas!!

• 4 creativecat // Jul 12, 2008 at 6:00 am

I grew up with a keypad lock. They’re great because it’s so easy to change the combo if you need to and you don’t have to make a million and one copies of your key.

• 5 Elizabeth // Jul 12, 2008 at 9:36 pm

Hops are easy to grow…Golden Hops are lovely, but it’s an ornamental and not for beer brewing. It can overtake your garden quite quickly; make sure you have plenty of room as it can overtake other plants, and don’t be afraid to rip some of it out..it’s tough.

• 6 Mary T // Jul 14, 2008 at 10:04 am

So Megan have you done the Morning Glory thing? There was a house in my old neighborhood in Ohio where every summer their chain-link fence was covered in them. I might have to put that on my to-do list.

(Also, I hope I’m not the only person with a twelve-year-old’s sense of humor who thought that it was how removing one’s OWN skirt would transform a chair! Boy would it!)

• 7 Lenore // Jul 19, 2008 at 11:18 am

Careful with the morning glories – they’re super invasive (as in, they’ll cover your house and bury you before you realize it) and in some places (Arizona, for one) certain varieties are illegal. That said, I’ve got a fence covered with them, and they’re gorgeous. But the neighbors keep pushing them back over the top of the fence since they’re trying to take over their yard, too.