links: miscellanea

So you think you wanna elope, a very helpful and truthful guide by Cinnamon at Poise.cc. Thanks Cinnamon!

Is longevity the curse of happiness? Know any happy 80-year-olds? at Ask Metafilter

What to do with 150+ plastic buckets? at Ask Metafilter. Bukkits!

Safety in the Tenderloin? (San Francisco) at Ask Metafilter

I’m looking for workout and weight loss podcasts and blogs. at Ask Metafilter

Recommendations for Sci-Fi while on the Treadmill? at Ask Metafilter

Knot tying cards, at Cool Tools

12 Bikes for Girls at Cool Hunting

The Slog reviews Penny Arcade Adventures: On The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One.

Resources for thrill seekers and general superhero/spy training in Texas? at Ask Metafilter

42 Awesome Business Card Designs at [Re]Encoded

Floral Arrangements for Engineers at Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories

Soft Reading Lenses, Stick-on magnifiers, at Cool Tools. These might be good for some of the more intricate sewing work.

Digg has a round up of all the mems that appear in Weezer’s Pork and Beans video. I, sadly, recognized nearly all of them.

What is being a baker or sous-chef like? at Ask Metafilter

A good, concise pep talk from Ira Glass, at Kottke.

HOW TO: Repair the Heels of Athletic Shoes at Craftzine

I’m looking for books set in subterranean locations. Caves, sewers, underground cities, hollow earth, etc. at Ask Metafilter

sticker shield at Cool Tools

NPR Road Trip Tool, cool, I didn’t know about this.

· comments [20] · 06-19-2008 · categories:links · mumbling ·

• 1 Erica // Jun 19, 2008 at 5:48 am

That Ira Glass pep talk was fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

• 2 michelle @ TNS // Jun 19, 2008 at 6:30 am

eloping is totally the way to do it, if you’re gonna do the whole marriage thing.

• 3 becky // Jun 19, 2008 at 10:00 am

Those are bikes for women, not bikes for girls!

mmm, celeste green. best bike color EVER!

• 4 rose // Jun 19, 2008 at 11:26 am

My husband and I eloped. We’re both happy that’s how we handled it. Yes, my mother resented it, but by and large most of my relative handled it well. We’ve been married for almost 25 years now and I still think it was the best choice for us.

• 5 Maria // Jun 19, 2008 at 3:15 pm

my boyfriend told me about penny arcade and now i’m hooked. seriously funny stuff!

• 6 Lynn in Tucson // Jun 19, 2008 at 4:15 pm

I’m not a Metafilter member or I’d post this there but I found this story really moving yesterday:

• 7 misfithausfrau // Jun 19, 2008 at 5:22 pm

The NPR Roadtrip tool is quite cool. I will definitely have my husband use it when we move from PA to Nashville this summer.

• 8 Anne P. // Jun 19, 2008 at 7:17 pm

Are you and Scott getting married? YEAH, YOU! I got married at 35. We had a great wedding. Not too traditional, but it had everything we wanted. I wrote the “script” for the ceremony, a friend of ours (ordained minister thru some “universal” church) conducted the ceremony, and because my husband “does not” dance, we simply had a fabulous dinner serenaded by a world famous ;-) NM flamenco guitarist (of course, also a friend). I LOVED my “non-traditional” wedding, as did our friends. Eloping, though a romantic notion, did not work for me. I needed and cherished the ceremony and celebration of it all.

Just my two-cents.

~~~Anne

• 9 megan // Jun 19, 2008 at 8:42 pm

Anne – Whoa there. No marriage is imminent, the elopement link just happens to be at the top, and Cinnamon in a friend so I made sure to thank her. That said, I appreciate everybody sharing their experiences!

• 10 Anna // Jun 19, 2008 at 10:34 pm

Those business cards are fantastic! I think mine (and everyone else I know) need a revamp…

• 11 Sandy // Jun 20, 2008 at 5:50 am

I love Sticker Shield. Here in Chicago you have to have a new city sticker every year and when you have the same car for over 7 years, you can start to fill the entire windshield with useless stickers. I’ve been using them for about 5 years now, ever since I got my last car, and now there’s only one sticker on my windshield at any give time. I love it!

• 12 Jen // Jun 20, 2008 at 11:35 am

I love the internet so much. The Weezer video makes me laugh. Its all so silly, and yet its become a subculture of its own. Who wouldnt love a culture of mentos fountains and crazy dancing guys?

• 13 Elaine // Jun 20, 2008 at 2:31 pm

Universal Life Church FTW! ;) “Eloped” 8 years ago (it’s a long kinda funny story) and wouldn’t ever done it differently.

…unless my minister grandpa had still been alive. :( But that’s just life, I guess.

We didn’t even tell our parents for 6 months, so it was all fait accompli style. Had friends find out gradually for years.

In 2 years, fingers crossed, we’re going to plan a big party to celebrate 10 years. That was our promise to each other in lieu of having a big wedding, which we couldn’t have afforded noway nohow back then.

• 14 Stacey // Jun 21, 2008 at 6:28 am

I loved the elopement post. It was spot on for every point. We eloped almost three years ago and things are still shaky between my family and me. The family I thought would be cool with the elopement and the ones I thought would be resentful didn’t turn out to be the ones we thought they would be. His parents were so cool they gave us a down payment for a house as a wedding gift. One of my brothers took 3 months (!!!) to call in his congrats. A-yup, elopement isn’t for the faint of heart, or the weak of stomaches either. :-D I would only change the minister at our wedding. He was so slimey and slick, it threw us off, and when he brought up god in the vows his wife told us he would omit, we both froze in our places staring at each other. That one detail tainted the whole 10 minute ceremony for us. But, we’re going on our 3 year of marriage, and eighth year together, so in the grand scheme, it’s but a blip on the map.

• 15 Stacey // Jun 21, 2008 at 6:36 am

Oh, and how I wish I was in a creative field where I required cool and clever business cards like the ones on that site you linked to. Not fair, I’m jealous! :-)

• 16 Pippa // Jun 22, 2008 at 7:27 am

My husband and I got engaged and then 2 months later planned a wedding 10,000 miles away for just the two of us on a trip we had already planned on going on. It was wonderful and killed two birds with one stone – No one wanted to go that far away and everyone knew about it. There were stack of ‘congrats’ faxes at the hotel. All our friends and family were great and we were happy to do things our way. It’s been 12 years and we’ve never regretted it.

• 17 Cakespy // Jun 22, 2008 at 9:37 am

I love the road trip tool!! I am planning a cake road trip soon, what a nice resource!

• 18 femmme // Jun 22, 2008 at 6:11 pm

I think we read all of the same sites- its too funny:)
    *heart*

• 19 Jenagain // Jun 24, 2008 at 1:07 pm

It’s funny, I have the complete opposite view of marriage/elopement. The wedding IS for your family. The lifetime of marriage is for you. Our wedding was a chance to throw a big party for our loved ones who had done so much for us. We didn’t need the wedding to confirm our relationship – that’s not the important part. But the wedding does recognize all the people who will be part of supporting you as a couple. We are together, and happy, and would be whether we eloped or had the big party. But we made a lot of people very happy that day, and we enjoyed giving that day to them.

• 20 Cinnamon // Jul 10, 2008 at 8:11 pm

Thanks for posting the link, Megan. Its great reading the comments from people here. And I’m glad that it rang true for people who have done it. It comes down to marriage and weddings being a very personal event and no matter what you do just make sure it is what you want. For me a wedding was a nightmare, but for others its a dream.