links: food

Gordon’s cup, at Orangette. It includes lime, cucumbers and a pinch of salt, sounds perfect.

chocolate covered bacon! at Strange Fruit

really pretty meatloaf cupcakes at Fine Furious Life

Vietnamese-Style Coffee on a Stick, oh baby, at Yum Sugar

Easy Pb&J Jar at Baking Bites, who finds the greatest stuff

Eat Drink or Die, videos on food and drink

Oh! A Rickroll birthday cake! at Craftzine

The Art of Sculpting a Watermelon at Chow

summer cocktails, at The Kitchen

Recipe: Easy Ricotta Gnocchi, at The Kitchen

Chard, Ricotta and Hazelnut Pasta Sauce, oh that sounds good, at Domicile

Rehabbing the Whiskey Sour, at Seattle Weekly

We’re going camping for a few nights in Tahoe. The gf and I are both foodies. I’d like to come up with some fun, more-interesting-than-average campfire food. at Ask Metafilter

at The Food Section:

how Yelp works

the Blumenburger, 30 ingredients, takes a day to make, I’m intrigued

touch your tomatoes

DIY candied peanuts

specialty ice cubes, including the Muji molds that I love

· comments [9] · 06-17-2008 · categories:drink · food ·

• 1 Harper // Jun 17, 2008 at 9:08 am

I saw the Coffee on a Stick and I want to know where they got those cool molds!

• 2 megan // Jun 17, 2008 at 9:37 am

Harper – I’ve seen ones like it, Amazon has ice kabobs. But I cannot find the specific ones in the photograph. They are called popsicle molds, but look like swizzle sticks.

• 3 nazilam // Jun 17, 2008 at 9:45 am

I’m rediscovering meatloaf and I’m thinking that cupcakes meatloaves are a strange concept.

Tres Rachael Ray.

The ice coffee popsicles, yum.

• 4 caroline // Jun 17, 2008 at 9:08 pm

I took a look at the camping foods link, and was too cheap to pay $5 to join Ask Metafilter, but I thought I’d share this car-camping delight:

Chocolate Cake in Oranges:
    bunch of oranges
    chocolate cake mix (make there, or pre-make in a ziplock bag)
    foil

Cut the tops off (save these) the oranges and scoop out the flesh with a spoon.

Pour in the cake mix.

Put the tops back on the oranges.

Wrap with foil and set in the fire.

Wait a while till they’re done (depends on your fire), unwrap and dig in to your orange-scented chocolate cake with spoons.

• 5 Mox Rogers // Jun 18, 2008 at 3:29 am

Nazilam, I’m a firm believer in a good meat muffin. I haven’t gone the extra step of putting mashed potato “frosting” on top yet though.

I think I might be looking into a Rickroll birthday cake in a month or so for Mr. Rogerss birthday.

• 6 Krista // Jun 18, 2008 at 11:14 am

I saw those molds (or ones that are quite similar) at Target–the Cynthia Rowley summer entertaining line.

• 7 Jenny // Jun 18, 2008 at 11:25 am

I read about the rickroll cake and still feel like I’m missing something. The fake cake was pretty cool, but what is the significance of having Rick Astley on the cake? Is there some other “Rick” reference I’m missing?

• 8 megan // Jun 18, 2008 at 11:31 am

Jenny – Wikipedia can explain it better than I: Rickrolling.

• 9 michelle @ TNS // Jun 19, 2008 at 6:37 am

cupcake meatloaves are the BEST, because then there’s enough crust to go around. because you know everyone loves the butt end of the meatloaf.