more about Privo shoes

Here’s a lesson I have to learn: When both the shipping and return shipping is free, order more than one size of the shoes. The whole idea is that you get to try them on at home.

After asking about the Privos last week I decided the back of that heel was just too high and would rub in the wrong way, so I returned them. Thanks for all the responses! There were enough both for and against that I was left a little more undecided than when I set out, but it was helpful to hear the variety of experiences. Shortly afterwards I was in a Nordstrom Rack and found the Privo Trumpet flats (well, the right one, at NR they only put out the right shoes and you have to ask for the left if you’d like to purchase the pair).

I wore the right shoe around for a while and rather liked it, the back of the heel is lower than the Acacias and it stayed on surprisingly well. But, I decided I needed a size larger than Nordstrom Rack had. I ordered them from Endless (Zappos, Shoes.com and Piper Lime had them as well) and now they are on my feet. And I think I’ll keep them. Despite having a ballet flat shape they manage to stay on quite easily and bend nicely when I walk, and I think I ended up with just the right size. I wear 7 or 8 and these are a 7.5, which I mention because some of the other Privo shoes run very large.

Here’s another lesson I have to learn: Endless may sell the shoes at a lower price, but Zappos doesn’t have any WA sales tax, making Zappos the winner there.

· comments [23] · 06-10-2008 · categories:shopping ·

• 1 Diana // Jun 10, 2008 at 5:39 am

Those. Are. So. Cute. I’m going over to Zappo’s right now.

before I buy, though… How’s the arch support?

• 2 megan // Jun 10, 2008 at 6:11 am

Diana – The arch support is not great. This was a large consideration for me. The footbeds come out but I cannot fit something like the SOLE intersoles inside. I’ll be using my shoes mainly to slip on when I’m headed out to run errands, nothing involving walking distances, though people reported wearing Privo shoes to walk around in Europe this isn’t the shoe I’d choose to do that in.

That said, they do feel like they offer a lot more support than a lot of shoes that are of the same style. The footbeds are nice and soft, rubbery foam. I have narrow feet and a lot of the “comfort” shoes out there these days are too wide for me, Keens in particular all feel too big around on my feet.

Sadly, I’m still looking for the perfect shoe that fits like New Balance but looks simple and passable for most casual situations.

• 3 Amy // Jun 10, 2008 at 6:49 am

I don’t know if it’s the same for all states, but here in Kentucky, you have to pay sales tax on online orders when you file your taxes every year.

Websites only charge sales tax if they have a physical store or warehouse in your state. (Zappos.com store/warehouse is in Kentucky).

• 4 Vanessa // Jun 10, 2008 at 7:01 am

Please let us all know if you ever find that perfect shoe! The older I get the less I’m willing to sacrifice joint pain for cute shoes. I don’t mind doing it for a nice event here and there but all day walking in uncomfortable shoes sounds like torture!

• 5 Chelsea // Jun 10, 2008 at 7:24 am

I have narrow feet too, but I haven’t let that stop me from buying Keens. I think my high arches help them fit well. NOt sure though. I am currently wearing my Celeste Crocs and they are so comfortable and squishy.

• 6 Melissa // Jun 10, 2008 at 8:04 am

I was inspired by your post to try the Privo Float shoe and I have worn it every day since it arrived. Very comfortable and the perfect summer shoe for me at work. I think they do run a bit wide but no rubbing on my heel. Moderate arch support but if I was to do any long distance walking, I would definitely lace up my Brooks. Thanks for the post!

• 7 Melicious // Jun 10, 2008 at 10:01 am

I’ve been having really good luck with the Cole-Haan Nike air flats. They are kinda pricey, but I’ve been lucky enough to find them on sale at Nordstrom. cute and comfy on my poor little feet.

I also like a brand called Me Too that they have on Zappos. Very stylish and comfy.

• 8 StartsWithAnX // Jun 10, 2008 at 10:22 am

If you always wear shoes like that, you must have beautiful feet. I just posted about this yesterday:

Those shoes make my feet feel good just looking at them.

• 9 Jennifer // Jun 10, 2008 at 12:13 pm

I have never heard of that brand of shoe before. They are so cute!
    I get the same heel rubbing issue. I just bought a pair of comfy mary janes that only caused slight issues that had disappeared after the second day. The Keen Sienna Mary Jane is really comfortable, cute yet easy to walk in, and they didn’t destroy the backs of my ankles. I would highly recommend them!

• 10 Leslie // Jun 10, 2008 at 12:17 pm

I have seen these shoes before, and I am wondering, do the plastic-y insoles make your feet more or less sweaty and stinky after wearing them a while? I have a terrible problem with buying this type of sneakeresque shoes, wearing them 5 – 10 times (without socks), and then having them go all stinky on me. Just curious!

• 11 megan // Jun 10, 2008 at 12:22 pm

Leslie – I have to admit I have not worn the shoes out of the house yet (just in case I change my mind) so I cannot tell. The insides of this particular model feel very breezy because the toe is so low cut. The insole feels a little spongy, it’s definitely some fancy hi-tech material that takes foot sweat into consideration. Read the comments on the previous entry (linked to above) and the ones over at Zappos, you might get a better idea from there.

• 12 femmme // Jun 10, 2008 at 1:46 pm

I love Keens. These look cute although I cant imagine a day the weather might be so normal i could wear jeans

• 13 courtneyk // Jun 10, 2008 at 6:25 pm

I have the Privo Hop and they are the most comfortable shoe EVAR. I would wear them with everything if I could get away with it.

• 14 pam // Jun 10, 2008 at 8:05 pm

i think privos are made by clarks?

just another option: if nordstrom’s doesn’t have something at the store, they can order it for you to be delivered to your house. if the store orders it for you, they don’t charge you the $5 shipping. and nordie’s return policy is wonderful in case you change your mind. (i don’t work for nordie’s, just a fan). :)

• 15 nazilam // Jun 11, 2008 at 7:45 am

I never thought of buying two pairs at the same time. Doh.

I bought a pair of privos because I had read the reviews and others had said that they were able to remove the insole and add their own orthotics and they worked. Well they didn’t for me. I was bummed, however, they shoes are cute, so I kept them.

I may have to get another pair of dress orthotics for shoes other than my running shoes.

nazila

• 16 kathy // Jun 11, 2008 at 12:37 pm

I have a pair of privos — black, mary jane style with a 2 inch heal. I bought them on Amazon and lucked out with the sizing ordering an 8.5 for my truly 8.5 feet. They’re great for work, but I can’t walk more than a mile in them without aches. That’s a bummer. Still, there are so many days of work for me that require very little walking.

• 17 Rebecca U // Jun 11, 2008 at 2:14 pm

Amy – you are correct. Most states that have a sales tax also have a use tax. If someone buys something from a remote seller (mail-order or online) and is not charges sales tax, they are supposed to remit the use tax to the state. Several states, including CA, have a line item on the income tax return where individuals can include their use tax.

Just a side note – our NR lets you “check out” the other shoe to try on.

• 18 Joanna Schmidt // Jun 12, 2008 at 5:17 am

Those are outstanding!

• 19 megan // Jun 12, 2008 at 7:24 am

test six

• 20 Kristin // Jun 12, 2008 at 4:13 pm

Those are adorable, and they look comfortable too! I am always hesitant to buy shoes online because of fit; but it makes sense to order more than one pair if shipping is free.

• 21 Rachel // Jun 15, 2008 at 6:58 pm

Well I work for Zappos & these were one of my first purchases! They are the most comfortable shoes I own. I ended up getting them in a different color too. Email me if you’d like some more info on Zappos or just a coupon for your next purchase!

• 22 laurel // Jun 23, 2008 at 2:53 pm

be careful on the wet pavement with the slippery privo sole!! I love mine for comfort but definitely consider them a hazard in Seattle.

• 23 lindsay // Dec 16, 2011 at 5:20 pm

i always wear my privo shoes with socks or tights at all times and they absolutely REEK! i hate it. i don’t typically have issues with my shoes smelling bad either. how do i get that smell to go away? can i wash them!?