links: beauty and shopping

What should I do to replicate the looks of Trinny and Susannah? at Ask Metafilter

O Hive Mind, point me to a fanny pack/belt bag/handsfree totage system that doesn’t suck. at Ask Metafilter

Anyone know how to get “mad scientist hair?” at Ask Metafilter

So what’s the protocol on switching stylists within a salon? at Ask Metafilter

Land’s End medium slouch tote, marked here because there is something I like about the basic shape.

Krystalyn Kae Monarch Hobo Bag, I’ve been eyeing this bag for a while now. Maybe the Foxtrot?

Matt’s Etsy picks. I’d love to see more Etsy lists from guys.

Tools for Life: The last [blank] you’ll ever need to buy. at Ask Metafilter

Sunscreen SPF 30 or higher that won’t make me break out? at Ask Metafilter

keep cool: a roundup of summer classics, drinks, outdoor projects, travel and style, at Shelterrific

Do pheromone colognes really work? at Ask Metafilter

Best Toilet Paper Evar at Ask Metafilter

Busywork points us towards this little green 6-Way Opener at Crate and Barrell. I think I need one.

What do I wear in central Italy this July so that I don’t instantly look like a North American (Canadian) tourist. at Ask Metafilter

· comments [12] · 06-9-2008 · categories:beauty · shopping ·

• 1 Chelsea // Jun 9, 2008 at 6:07 am

I like that Land’s End tote, too. I have wanted one of their totes for awhile because they look great for traveling with my book, water bottle and knitting, but this one is much cuter than their standard totes.

• 2 Hayley // Jun 9, 2008 at 8:34 am

Hi there,
    Saw you were doing the knitty lace scarf- had a question that I couldn’t figure out: when you knit into the back of the second yarn over- do you knit into the front or back of stitch?

Thanks!

• 3 megan // Jun 9, 2008 at 8:53 am

Hayley – Yup. Purl the first YO and pull it off, move your working yarn to the back, knit into the back of the remaining YO (it can be a little tricky to scoop it up at first but it will quickly make sense) and pull it off, move your working yarn to the front and continue across the row.

• 4 Donna // Jun 9, 2008 at 9:54 am

Petco carries the exact same 6-way opener as Crate & Barrel. They also have just a tab opener model for those pesky Alpo cans.

• 5 Megan // Jun 9, 2008 at 10:45 am

Re: sunscreens, I have a terrible time with them aggravating my skin, but I’ve had luck with this one so far:

• 6 hazel // Jun 9, 2008 at 3:22 pm

I have had Krystalyn Kae’s foxtrot for about a year and its still going strong! Great size (the medium) that is not too huge and I totally love the fact that the strap can be short or long (cross body). Pretty water resistant too!

• 7 splatgirl // Jun 9, 2008 at 8:11 pm

60′s & 70′s….vinyl
    80′s & 90′s ….pleather
    2000′s…”glazed fabric”?

that’s about the most ridiculous (and clever) bit of marketing I’ve seen in a while.

• 8 Hayley // Jun 10, 2008 at 4:37 pm

Thanks!

• 9 golden star // Jun 12, 2008 at 7:28 am

Love that opener. It’s a Father’s Day gift waiting to be wrapped!

• 10 Hannah // Jun 12, 2008 at 7:29 am

i have the lands end tote in the kelly green color with a bright yellow monogram over the ribbon. the bag is really roomy – i can put fit my work shoes and my lunch along with my other purse stuff (phone, wallet, keys – it has a great little key lanyard) — PERFECT for my daily walk/train ride to work.

• 11 Amy Thomas // Jun 18, 2008 at 3:49 pm

Regarding the question “What do I wear in central Italy this July so that I don’t instantly look like a North American (Canadian) tourist?”

It would cost $5 to sign up at Ask Meta Filter in order to comment, but I can comment here for free. In aid of this goal, in any country, buy shoes in popular local styles on your first day. Thereafter, you may be able to obscure your identity a bit longer.

• 12 Stonebuddy // Jun 22, 2008 at 5:28 pm

Check out luca sunscreen at http://www.lucasunscreen.com/.
    It was ceated by a doctor friend of mine for his son who had very sensitive skin.