thing I’m knitting: Lace Ribbon Scarf begins

the pattern: Lace Ribbon Scarf from Knitty
the yarn: Rowan 4 Ply Cotton in Shale (145)
the previous entries: 1

I’ve finally started working on the Lace Ribbon Scarf. I switched from bamboo needles to some thrifted plastic dpns of unknown material which I’ve looped elastic bands around the ends of to create short straight needles for the time being. They are bendy and far, far more comfortable to work with than the bamboo. This is important because this yarn is terrible to work with. It’s like knitting with cord. Which is, of course, what I was asking for when I bought fingering weight cotton yarn. Happily, the pattern is enough fun that I’m not going to abandon the scarf yet, I’m curious to see if the yarn-as-a-scarf is soft enough to wear. The project is easy enough to memorize, hard enough to stay interesting, small enough to travel with, and doesn’t require any gadgets. Perfect for coffee shops and airplanes.

For some reason I’ve had trouble taking the right hand turn in the pattern. It seems I always mess up the stitch count in one of the rows before so my little lanes are staggered at least half of the time. The left hand turns are all fine. Wonder what is throwing me off. Still, not going back to fix it.

· comments [13] · 05-24-2008 · categories:knitting ·

• 1 michelle // May 24, 2008 at 5:27 am

Can you take knitting needles on the airplane? I always assumed they would be confiscated. So much knitting time wasted!

• 2 Amy // May 24, 2008 at 6:07 am

Michelle – YES! I’ve never had a problem taking knitting needles on an airplane, even with metal dpns.

Scroll down here for confirmation from the TSA: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

• 3 Nadine // May 24, 2008 at 7:10 am

I’ve started knitting this scarf too, but with Handmaiden sea silk. I’ve made a mistake or two, and I, too, am choosing to ignore and carry on. You’re much farther than I am! Cheers!

• 4 Chelsea // May 24, 2008 at 7:32 am

I love the color you chose!

I think I need to make this sometime soon. Either that or I am going to turn that stitch pattern into some socks.

• 5 Carrie // May 24, 2008 at 11:40 am

The pattern looks really nice. I am sure it will finish up lovely. The yarn looks soft in the photo too..

• 6 Jen da purse Ho // May 24, 2008 at 8:12 pm

ooh yours is coming out nice!! :D I did this pattern w/ less repeats for a guy in alpaca. It came out great. But the pattern took me a while to memorize.. i had to keep checking and checking on what i was doing. so annoying!

• 7 Sue // May 25, 2008 at 5:35 am

The yarn might soften when washed. I find this true of cotton yarns. That said, I haven’t worked with this particular yarn.

• 8 Jess // May 25, 2008 at 8:59 am

I have the same trouble with my right hand turns every time I knit a lace baby blanket from knitty. I don’t know what my problem is!!!

• 9 Vicki // May 25, 2008 at 7:25 pm

What a smart idea to use rubber bands on DPNs!

Your scarf looks great – I really love the color you chose.

• 10 Tina R // May 28, 2008 at 7:59 pm

One of the Mason Dixon bloggers just finished this scarf!

Thus the second one I’ve seen in a blog. Humm…. might need to add this soon. Looks almost like Clapotis.

Tina

• 11 bwilliams // Jun 4, 2008 at 7:31 am

Great scarf. Love the color, neutral but not boring. When you work with a new stitch pattern, try copying it and pasting onto index cards. Then just punch a hole in one corner and slip onto the ring. I keep a binder ring from the office supply with my current project stitch patterns/directions/needle,yarn,guage notes on it. As I finish with one card in the set, I flip to the next and put a small bulldog clip in the margin to hold my place. Its very portable and you can inexpensively have a set for each WPI.

• 12 Debbie // Jun 4, 2008 at 9:37 am

I’m also making this. I’m sorry, but I don’t see the double yarnovers in your scarf?

• 13 megan // Jun 4, 2008 at 9:44 am

They are there, my work isn’t stretched here and keep in mind I’m using an all cotton yarn so the the work isn’t as defined.