links: the home

my $6 kitchen makerover at Browning Points

We’re in the middle of a big kitchen remodel and have been stymied by (of all things!) the kitchen faucet decision. We’ve been looking at models with integrated sprayer heads that pull out from the faucet but just received a warning about that style of faucet. at Ask Metafilter. We have this style of faucet and I loathe it. Or at least I loathe mine since you cannot turn the sprayer off, you have to make sure it gets back into the faucet so that it doesn’t spray all over the kitchen. But of course, I use the sprayer when I’m holding something large and awkward so having to fuss with getting it back into place right at that moment is frustrating.

What’s the best home-repair / fixit manual for someone with little-to-no experience in such matters? at Ask Metafilter

Our place in sunny Los Angeles at Design*Sponge — note for Scott to check out the padded walls in the music room

Instant Kitchen at Uncrate

Paint Everything By the Numbers! at Shelter

Green Idea: A Moss Yard at Re-Nest. If only our back yard wasn’t sloped, I would love to do this (damn grass).

Caulk Singles! (Scroll down a bit.) Before you tell me how not-Green this is let me tell you how many half used tubes of caulking I’ve thrown away when I’ve moved.

· comments [8] · 05-20-2008 · categories:the home ·

• 1 Natalie // May 20, 2008 at 8:21 am

There was an article about a moss yard in the NYT:

I’m encouraging moss to grow in our side yard – it’s mostly shady there, and moss looks nice with my native plants! Another nice way to decrease mowing time (which isn’t much with a quarter acre, but we all have better things to do!).

• 2 Victoria // May 20, 2008 at 8:24 am

Why couldn’t you grow moss on a hill? As long as it is moist and shady it will grow.
    A great plant for hills in phlox. Check it out. So pretty.

• 3 herschel // May 20, 2008 at 12:18 pm

my mom used to have some difficulty with her sprayer faucet too — it would not easily return into the faucet head.

my dad fixed this problem by attaching a small sliding weight to the hose, underneath the sink. the small weight encourages the sprayer to return without causing additional strain while using the sprayer.

• 4 Lane // May 20, 2008 at 3:34 pm

“How Things Work in Your Home and What To Do When They Don’t” It’s an old Time-Life book with really clear drawings and descriptions. They’ve updated, but I haven’t seen the new version. I pick them up at used book sales and give them to first-time home buyers.

• 5 katieb // May 20, 2008 at 7:01 pm

We have a pull down which I love. Combine it with the affordable “tapmaster” foot pedal and you can turn on and off easily.

• 6 Sarah // May 21, 2008 at 2:45 pm

Why not plant clover? It’s low-growing, hardy, has pretty little flowers, and doesn’t require a million chemicals.

• 7 candace // May 21, 2008 at 3:47 pm

In the Metafilter comments, someone mentions being responsible for a certain Swiss brand of faucet. We have that brand, KWC. We have two faucets in the kitchen (one larger than the other), both are pull down, and I love both of them. There’s a little notch at the back of the faucet arm where the pull-down sprayer hooks in when not in use, and I’m fairly sure the hose itself is weighted. Never had a problem with either of them.

• 8 Julie at Remodelista // May 27, 2008 at 8:09 am

My all-time favorite faucet is the Chicago Faucet. I’ve used it in the kitchen and all the baths in my house–and can’t recommend it highly enough. It’s absolutely simple and foolproof, with a great retro industrial look and no unnecessary features (which are bound to eventually require maintenance). Unless you can afford a Vola, it’s the way to go. Take a look at our post 10 Easy Pieces: Best Kitchen Faucets for ideas (sorry for the shameless self-promotion).