some new makeup and how I feel about it

Philosophy The Supernatural poreless, flawless, tinted spf 15

I dig this stuff. It doesn’t hide everything, but it does give your face a soft focus (like it says on the back of the package), while providing some SPF. At first I wasn’t sure how well it worked so I applied it to half my face (don’t worry, I was home all alone) and the difference was pretty big. It’s a bit too dark for my pale skin, so I have to be careful not to apply too much. While it’s not a foundation, it’s a great “just need to leave the house to go to the library” quick product. Despite the $$ and the not-this-not-that nature I’ll be buying this again. Note: Some people react very badly to the silicone, so buy it somewhere you can return it if need be.

Benefit Bad Gal Lash mascara

As a mascara, I like it a whole lot, but there are problems. The big fat brush confounds my early morning self and I always end up with a bit of it smeared around my eyelid. (Afternoon self can manage to apply cleanly.) It’s got the volumizing while still looking natural thing down, but if it’s a day when I apply my (Neutrogena Ultra-sheer) sunblock it runs almost immediately. Will be banished to use only after the sun has gone down.

MAC eyeshadow, in Print

Nicely pigmented, no creasing, no smudging. Might be worth the price, just the way everybody is always saying it is.

· comments [11] · 05-14-2008 · categories:beauty · shopping ·

• 1 laura // May 14, 2008 at 6:07 am

Thank you for the Supernatural review. When you mentioned it a few months back, I was hoping you would try it and share what you thought. I like the idea of it but had been wondering if the peachy color would work for my pale skin.

• 2 Emily // May 14, 2008 at 6:48 am

I’m so glad you posted about The Supernatural – I can’t wait to get some. I use the powder version and adore it, and was using a combination of The Present and a tinted spf underneath – but this can replace both, I think. Using a primer has really made a difference in how well other makeup sticks, but it’s not enough if you have any blemishes. Thank you!

• 3 Elizabeth // May 14, 2008 at 7:35 am

I swear by Stila’s tinted moisturizer/spf15. I am incredibly pale and they actually have a perfect match to me (I use the bare tint but there is one that’s even paler than that!). It’s a little expensive, but not ridiculously so and I’ve never had a reaction to it even with my creepy sensitivities. If you live near a Sephora it might be worth trying it out.

• 4 TPS // May 14, 2008 at 8:31 am

I have always loved Philosophy’s the supernatural poreless, flawless spf 15! Whew, that’s a mouthful! I have tried other primers such as Clinique’s and Benefit’s, and the supernatural is the only one that works for me.

• 5 Linda // May 14, 2008 at 10:07 am

I like Biore’s Pore Minimizing moisturizer with SPF. It’s not tinted, but it has something that sort of blurs flaws and makes your skin feel smooth. But the reason I keep coming back is because it doesn’t have that sticky, wearing sunscreen feel to it.

• 6 Julie // May 14, 2008 at 10:32 am

I am using bad gal lash myself at the moment…. I am really enjoying it too! It goes on so well… spending that much on mascara is a hard thing to do when you don’t know what it will turn out like!

• 7 Judi // May 14, 2008 at 1:08 pm

I’ve had similar experiences with Bad Gal — goes on great, but it’s inevitably smudged by the end of the night. My current fave is DiorShow, which isn’t as thick but stays put.

• 8 emic // May 14, 2008 at 3:42 pm

I’m usually fine with ‘cones on my skin, but The Supernatural broke me out with those icky little bumps that tell you that your skin is super unhappy! I looooooove Philosophy’s The Present, though. Makes my skin softened, airbrushed, and clear. :)

• 9 Angela // May 14, 2008 at 8:41 pm

I use Neutrogena Glow Sheers…tinted moisturizer with SPF and a very subtle shimmer. It’s great, and relatively cheap!

• 10 McAuliflower // May 14, 2008 at 10:01 pm

Why am i 33 and *still* looking for the perfect no-smudge mascara?

I should have that figured out by now…

• 11 Carrie // May 18, 2008 at 3:14 pm

The Supernaturale sounds wonderful. I will have to give it a try.