book: The Boss of You, Everything a Woman Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business

I’ve talked about this before but it’s worth mentioning again, Lauren Bacon and Emira Mears’s site The Soapbox was one of the very first websites I read on a regular basis. I remember reading with keen interest that they ran their own web design firm, Raised Eyebrow Web Studios, which they started after realizing that they could be their own bosses. Lauren and Emira’s book, The Boss of You, is officially out and the back of the book says something I love: “This is the business book they wish they’d had.”

The book goes through all the aspects of starting a business, the things you know and the things you don’t know that you don’t know, working through them in a conversational tone. Each section has examples from real life experiences, either from Lauran and Emira or a bunch of people they interviewed while writing the book. Full disclosure: I was one of those people and I’m am phsyched to see my name in the back of the book.

They cover both aspects of business for those who will be making an actual thing, and those who will provide a service. They talk about what you should do when your business grows to large for you (raise your prices!). And they work you through all the processes of setting up pricing, billing, and the dreaded business plan. It’s a great resource for anybody setting out to start a business, whether you plan to grow it large or keep it small. Laruen and Emira are Canadian, the resources they list include both US and Canadian sources, and I know a lot of people who will be thrilled to know this.

The Boss of You is on a blog book tour this week, and you can find all the details of what Lauren and Emira are up to on their website, which includes lots and lots of helpful business information. You can also read a sample chapter. They’ll be on a book tour starting in Vancouver, uh, yesterday but they’ll be here in Seattle on Saturday, May 17th at 4:30 p.m. at the Elliott Bay Book Company.

Congratulations Lauren and Emira! (And thanks for introducing me to Smoking Lily many years ago.)

· comments [11] · 05-8-2008 · categories:books ·

• 1 K // May 8, 2008 at 8:32 pm

The feminist in me always wonders why it is that *women* need their own book? (It sounds like a very nice resource though.)

• 2 Julie // May 9, 2008 at 8:35 am

A friend sent me over this way to check out the book–looks like it’s right up my alley. *Women* need our own books because we are still making 75-85 cents on the dollar and we need the voices of strong, successful women to lead us and share their successes. That’s what *women* do.

• 3 Lauren // May 9, 2008 at 8:35 am

K,

I know what you mean, and that’s a question we asked ourselves when we sat down to write the book. Our reasoning for focusing on women was that we wanted to celebrate the creative and innovative businesses we saw women creating, and help build a sense of community among women entrepreneurs who are working to build businesses that are outside the mainstream.

We aren’t among the number who believe that women fundamentally do business differently from men, or even that all women will be interested in this book; on the other hand, though, we have seen evidence that women are at the forefront of redefining what a successful small business looks like, and we wanted to create a business book that tells those stories and shares some wisdom on how to get there.

• 4 greta // May 9, 2008 at 9:38 am

this looks great! i’ve had all these little business ideas in the back of my head, but have been totally intimidated by the process. i’ll have to check this out.

• 5 lynnette // May 9, 2008 at 1:00 pm

Just ordered it from Amazon today….we’ll see how it goes….I am looking forward to some new/experienced views. Thanks for the heads up
    LT

• 6 April // May 9, 2008 at 3:16 pm

Thanks for the tip! This looks like just what I need right now.

• 7 Pleasant Girl // May 11, 2008 at 9:29 am

The book is excellent! I just finished it! The book is packed with all sorts of tips and reflections. I’ve been in business for just over a year and I’m so happy I came across the book. So helpful! I inhaled it!

• 8 Mary T. // May 13, 2008 at 5:24 pm

Holy crap! I published a poem on Soapboxgirls back in the late 1800s when blogging was in its infancy and I enjoyed talking about my mess of a soul online! Cool to see what they’re up to now.

• 9 Cherry Tree Lane // May 14, 2008 at 4:37 pm

I was already looking at this book and now you convinced me! Hooray!

• 10 Tamara // May 21, 2008 at 1:36 pm

I have been peeking around etsy.com and the idea of researching ideas with real women has peeked my interest.

• 11 At Home with Kim Vallee // May 21, 2008 at 2:32 pm

As a long-time small business owner, I appreciate the needs to share experiences. For that matter, I think this book is useful because it relies on real cases. And I wish to support my fellow Canadians.

About the book for woman issue, I see it as a way to promote and encourage women to start their own business. Nothing wrong with that!