links: food

Fill in the blank: “The secret of great meatloaf is ___________.” at Ask Metafilter

make your own creme fraiche at Glueten-Free Girl, oh mama

Not So Keen On Quinoa at Splatgirl Creates. I agree, I really like quinoa on it’s own but have not found a way to mix other ingredients in with it that I like.

Surfas restaurant supply at Chow.

How can I simulate this tikka masala sauce? at Ask Metafilter

Cocoa Nib Pavlovas at Orangette. I have cocoa nibs, and I have the desire to make pavlovas, perfect.

I have always wanted a Clack Egg Cracker but loose track of where to buy it every few years. So, self, Mocha carries it.

mini smores grill! via Craftzine

What’s the best format for an extremely lightweight drinker to buy & store wine, to enable very gradual consumption without the wine going sour? at Ask Metafilter

giant ice cream cone cupcake pan at Baking Bites

How to Make Limoncello

How to Make Limoncello with Vodka

at The Kitchen:

pickle popsicles, at The Kitchen

Dinner Quick: Anelletti Pasta with Sausage and Greens, the round O pasta from Trader Joes is cute.

Recipe: Chocolate Toffee Matzo Candy

Is a box mix really faster?

cheddar olives

pirate ship cake pan

· comments [22] · 05-1-2008 · categories:food · recipes ·

• 1 Matt Haughey // May 1, 2008 at 9:55 am

Wow, Serfas! When we lived in LA we were two blocks from that place and we used to buy all our kitchen stuff and a lot of food as well (they had great high quality but cheap stuff like dried mushrooms, chocolate, pasta, etc)

• 2 Kay // May 1, 2008 at 10:01 am

OMG! Surfas, Surfas! We lived down the street (see above comment by my partner) and I shopped there often. I could buy big hunks of callebaut or valrhona chocolate bulk. My family was inundated with cooking gear for those two years. I lamented I never found its equal in SF or Oregon. I love Surfas. Though, a cafe… I liked the industrial aspect of the store in 1998.

• 3 Megann // May 1, 2008 at 10:25 am

I had never heard of the egg cracker. How awesome! Now I totally want one!

• 4 justJENN // May 1, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Surfas is the BEST!!
    p.s. I need that pirate cake pan. It’d make my life easier.

• 5 MomVee // May 1, 2008 at 3:38 pm

Quinoa and butternut squash gratin:

So very, very good.

• 6 Susan // May 1, 2008 at 3:50 pm

Since you’re in the Seattle area, you might be interested in the lemon cooking class at PCC. One of the things they teach you to make is limoncello. I’m signed up for a class in June & can’t wait.

Susan

• 7 megpie // May 1, 2008 at 4:35 pm

Surfas is like heaven, they have nearly everything you’d want. It’s on my way home from work and I have to stop myself from going in too often. the website doesn’t do the actual store justice. definitely worth a visit to anyone coming to LA.

• 8 reesemcg // May 1, 2008 at 9:19 pm

Re: limoncello… If you use meyer lemons it will yield a much nicer end result. Also, a sprig of fresh rosemary added to the mix is a delicious way to enhance the flavor. We made a batch last year and gave it all away for xmas packaged in glass bottles from Specialty Bottle Supply in Sodo.

• 9 Becka // May 2, 2008 at 4:05 am

RE: slow wine consumption…
    recently some reputable companies have started packaging their wine in boxes. I first saw this at Target where you can buy small 1.5 liter (2 bottle) boxes or I believe they also have 3 liter boxes. They have a little spigot that sticks out, and the wine is inside the box an airtight plastic bag. The nifty compact square shape makes it so easy to stick in the fridge, or leave on the counter, and they recommend using it within 4 weeks of opening. They also make cute little “juice boxes” that are 500ml in some of the varieties and now also have sangria for the summer. (and yes, the Target wine is fairly good…and no, I don’t work for them :) ) I’ve also seen recently on TV that the wine maker Fish Eye has started doing this as well, and there are probably others.
    The other option I use when I go for a more expensive bottled wine is a little vacuum sealer thingy made specifically for this purpose. The brand of mine is Vacu-vin and I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond, but I have also seen them at grocery stores and other stores with kitcheny stuff. There are also other brands, but they’re all basically a rubber stopper and a reverse pump that sucks the extra air out of the bottle, and the stopper has a release valve for when you want to re-open the bottle. And you can buy extra stoppers in case you want to have more than one bottle of wine open at once.
    and you can get it on Amazon, and its pretty affordable.

sorry for the long post… :)

• 10 shelterrific » Blog Archive » blogwatch: where we’ve been clicking this week // May 2, 2008 at 5:40 am

[...] What’s the secret to great meatloaf? How to make limoncello? Pickle popsicles?! Clearly, Not Martha is the place for every link you can think of. [...]

• 11 Dana V. // May 2, 2008 at 5:46 am

quinoa + sautéed onions & mushroom + spinach + bacon + a fist full of mozzarella cheese = holy moly.

That egg cracker thingy is the bombdiggity; I totally want one now!

• 12 alicia88 // May 2, 2008 at 6:16 am

I found a fine recipe
    Pineapple and pistachios

• 13 mary // May 2, 2008 at 6:18 am

Whoops…can you re-post the link for the cheddar olives? It takes me to the pirate ship cake pan.

Because I really love cheddar. And olives.

• 14 liz // May 2, 2008 at 6:57 am

This is my favorite quinoa recipe. The corn adds a nice crunch, but it’s the feta that really makes it pop! Yummy.

• 15 Jen // May 2, 2008 at 11:15 am

I like substituting quinoa for the bulgur in tabouleh.

• 16 katie s. // May 2, 2008 at 1:58 pm

Someone already mentioned it, but your cheddar and olives link isn’t working.

• 17 Laura // May 2, 2008 at 4:40 pm

I have the Pickle Pops and they are so yummy. Especially the new jalepeno ones.

• 18 amanda // May 3, 2008 at 8:22 am

Okay, so the clacker…? It fits over the top of an egg, like a hat? And then you raise the ball to the top of the wire and drop it…like the Times Square New Year’s ball? And it cuts the shell in half? Is that right? I’m very intrigued by this.

• 19 megan // May 5, 2008 at 7:30 am

Oops – the Cheddar Olives link is fixed.

• 20 megan // May 5, 2008 at 7:31 am

Matt and Kay – I’m so pleased that Surfas turned out to be such a coincidence! I definitely want to see the place if I ever get to LA.

• 21 Anne // May 6, 2008 at 11:06 am

Ohhhhh, matzoh brickle, toffee, whatever you want to call it is sooooo good. I made some with marvelous results, but I’ve also heard of a version using saltines. Has anyone tried it?

• 22 Karin // May 7, 2008 at 11:21 am

I’m so grateful for the link to the creme fraiche! I’ve been so scared of buying it, in case it wasn’t everything I hoped and imagined, but if I make it first I’ll feel better about it :)