links: tech

Google Maps bicycle route petition

“Dear people who learned to type in school; Typographically, you do NOT need a double space after a period.” at onmysleeve. This has been bugging me lately as well.

Milliways: Infocom’s Unreleased Sequel to Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. This was huge, huge news a few weeks back. Unfortunately what was produced is barely playable, but it’s a fascinating story.

Top 10 science hoaxes of all time, at the Discovery Channel

GREENHOUSE Eneplug USB to AC Outlet Adaptor, straight from plug to USB, no cord, nice. At Unplugged.

Podswollop, Textism recommends podcasts.

Upgrading to a DSLR camera for the first time: how useful will an additional lens be? at Ask Metafilter

Mac Buyer’s Guide: when to buy an iPhone

David Lebovitz’s food photography gear

Wikiquote, found while trying to figure out the whole stopwatch thing from season one of Torchwood (don’t ask).

· comments [25] · 04-30-2008 · categories:technology ·

• 1 Kate // Apr 30, 2008 at 8:18 am

I know I don’t need a double-space after a period, but after years of typing papers in high school and again in college as an English major, I cannot, for the life of me, make my thumb stop hitting the spacebar twice.

I usually go back and remove all the extra spaces after I type anything, now. Drives me crazy to see them there, drives me crazy that I can’t stop.

• 2 tulip // Apr 30, 2008 at 8:21 am

Hey! I’m a Cate too!
    Also I have the same problem. It’s just super engrained.

• 3 Meg // Apr 30, 2008 at 8:37 am

I have that problem as well. My husband was a graphic designer for 12 years and he nagged me about the double space every time I wrote anything. But it’s SO hard not to – I blame the fact that I type really fast so it’s utterly unconscious; just a body-condintioning problem. :)

(By the way, after every sentence I typed just now, I had to either stop for five seconds and make sure I didn’t double-hit the spacebar, or I DID double-hit the spacebar and had to go back after writing a couple of words and fix it. Argh.)

• 4 Lorri // Apr 30, 2008 at 9:08 am

I’m not sure I understand why it matters whether there is one space or two after a period. I know you don’t NEED to but who cares? More power to Kate if she wants to spend the time going back through an already typed document to delete the double spaces but I’m going to leave them as they are.

• 5 Beckie // Apr 30, 2008 at 9:15 am

Whatcha need to know about the stop watch? ;)

• 6 Emily // Apr 30, 2008 at 9:28 am

::raises hand:: I’d like to know the deal with the stopwatch too! I’m late to TW but I’m loving it!

• 7 megan // Apr 30, 2008 at 9:48 am

Beckie – Oh don’t worry, I get it.

Everybody else – I should qualify, I am not bugged by people who hit the space bar twice after a period, I understand that is not an easily broken action. But, I am annoyed that my brain cannot stop pausing in that space. Because  it  takes  me  longer  to  read.  Make sense?

I will note that just now I’ve found these comment boxes (WordPress) automatically collapse the area between text when the space bar is hit twice.

• 8 megan // Apr 30, 2008 at 11:13 am

Emily – I’m pretty sure it was just some flirting, but if you google around I’m fairly you’ll find some, ahem, stopwatch fan fic.

• 9 Emilee // Apr 30, 2008 at 11:24 am

Most word-processing programs will compress the double-spaced space. Why is anyone worrying about this?

• 10 jmanna // Apr 30, 2008 at 11:48 am

“…found while trying to figure out the whole stopwatch thing from season one of Torchwood (don’t ask).”

I’m nerdy enough I don’t need to ask.

• 11 Sally // Apr 30, 2008 at 12:39 pm

HA! The double space thing always drove me crazy! I’ve actually become a better typist since I stopped double spacing. I went to culinary school and didn’t need to type at work, my typing abilities have taken off now that I’m on the internet so much!

• 12 Andrea // Apr 30, 2008 at 12:45 pm

This is the first I’ve heard that you are no longer supposed to double space after a period.

• 13 Rachel // Apr 30, 2008 at 12:46 pm

I never double-spaced after the period until I started doing work for a published journal. Apparently, the double-space is still widely in use!

• 14 Andrea // Apr 30, 2008 at 1:00 pm

Rachel,
    That’s good to know. I’ll never be able to break the habit of double spacing.

• 15 Nancy // Apr 30, 2008 at 1:31 pm

Damn, the Wiki quote must have changed. Wonder what it was . . .

• 16 Kimberly // Apr 30, 2008 at 1:57 pm

I learned to type in high school and I had a boss at my first “real” job at a publisher who’d make me retype documents (done in MSWord) if I did not double space after a period. So I will double space at the end of sentences until I die. It is still the standard in some publishing companies – including where I work now.

• 17 Jes // Apr 30, 2008 at 5:34 pm

I have bigger things to worry about than someone *allowing* themselves to be bothered by what I type. Same thing with people who are bothered by spelling and grammar typos.

I’ve seen some people get really worked up and annoyed about that kind of stuff, and they don’t get that they’re trying to push (control others) with their own personal issues.

Though, if Stella reads this, I have to say she’s a pretty cool chick. Not saying she’s worked up at all. I’m talking about others who have been. :)

• 18 Jes // Apr 30, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Forgot to mention I was trained to use double spaces. When people don’t use double spaces, I sometimes feel sentences are too clumped together and it’s harder to read. My point being that it’s my issue. Not interested in making my issues a problem for someone else who may not double space, you know?

• 19 Jen // Apr 30, 2008 at 5:49 pm

It is kind of funny that the original quote complaining about the double space incorrectly uses a semicolon.

• 20 Carolyn J. // Apr 30, 2008 at 7:26 pm

They told me to go to spacehab and I said NO, NO, NO. That is all.

• 21 Kimberly // May 1, 2008 at 2:57 am

Carolyn J., that rocks. \m/

• 22 em // May 1, 2008 at 5:54 am

Re: spacing after period

I don’t think either way is technically incorrect, at least according to Gregg’s Reference. With the exception of sentences ending in abbreviations (such as a.m.) in which a double-space is preferred, the spacing seems to be entirely a matter of preference. A single space is the more modern trend, but a double space is not incorrect.

• 23 Alice // May 1, 2008 at 9:16 am

Jen, no.19, I noticed the semi-colon too. Hee, hee!

• 24 Tiffany // May 1, 2008 at 7:43 pm

Just to join in here, the reason we used to be taught to use a double space was because the space on a typewriter key is quite a narrow one, and it was clearer to read if there were two spaces after a full stop. Now that we use computers, software contains kerning and tracking functions to compensate. It’s just an historical anachronism.

• 25 becky // May 2, 2008 at 12:33 pm

I still double space at the end of sentences, I see it as a way of differentiating between a period used for an abbreviation and one that ends a sentence. Yeah, I learned to type in school as well, I doubt if I’ll ever break the habit, except perhaps in text messaging.