thing I’m knitting: the Lace Ribbon Scarf

the pattern: Lace Ribbon Scarf from Knitty
the yarn: Rowan 4 Ply Cotton in Shale (145)

I’ve gathered my supplies for the Lace Ribbon Scarf from Knitty, I hope it works out using cotton. The Rowan 4 Ply Cotton is pretty, it’s like 1/4-scale yarn.

I have been loving the Addi Natura needles because they have the non-memory cord. For a while I was loving the Crystal Palace circulars because they have a rotating join, but the last few pairs I’ve bought (in the 4 to 6 size range) had joins that stuck. The Naturas may be $$ but I like the finish and tips so much more than, say, Clovers that I’m finding it worth it. Also, after researching interchangeable needle sets I’ve decided to skip buying one, too many people had too many troubles. Besides, I’ve got every size from 3 to 15 now, it’s far to late to save money by buying interchangeables now.

· comments [14] · 04-4-2008 · categories:knitting ·

• 1 MontanaJen // Apr 4, 2008 at 7:06 am

How is the yarn to work with? I’m doing the Ribby Cardi with the cotton ease, and I really dig the yarn, but am worried that I’m loving it so much because of the acrylic blend. I’ve used 100% cottons and they grab…let us know how you like the Rowan!

• 2 megan // Apr 4, 2008 at 9:01 am

Jen – I have not started yet but I’ll report back. I did some fingering weight research and the Rowan 4 Ply was favored so hopefully I won’t have any problems.

• 3 Marta Brás // Apr 4, 2008 at 9:31 am

This scarf is so beautiful and the chart so easy to memorize! You’ll be astound at how fast it goes, trust me!

• 4 Min // Apr 4, 2008 at 11:05 am

Wow I couldn’t live without my KnitPicks Options interchangeables. You can attach any length cord, and it’s the most flexible I’ve ever used. I did have one cable which wiggled it’s way loose out of the join; I emailed the company and I had a new PAIR of cables sent for free, in like 2 days! (Plus I fixed the other one with super glue so it’s all good).
    The best part: the titanium finish actually lets me knit faster than when I was using bamboo. Don’t get me wrong; I love my Addi Naturas, too, just not for everything.
    Sorry to blather on so much! I plan on making that scarf too, when I finish my latest pair of socks; so I can’t wait to see how yours turns out!

• 5 missy // Apr 4, 2008 at 12:01 pm

Addi Naturas are my fave as well. They’re a little bit easier on my tendonitis-prone hands and wrists, I find the Addi Turbos to be too slippery for me. They’re a bit harder for me to track down though, all my LYS in Minneapolis seem to love stocking the Turbos in every size possible- but hardly ever the Naturas.

• 6 Kristi // Apr 4, 2008 at 4:20 pm

That is going to look so pretty. I need to check out the new patterns on knitty.

• 7 Emy // Apr 4, 2008 at 4:26 pm

To an above commenter: Titanium? No. KnitPicks needles are nickel-plated.

• 8 Carolyn J. // Apr 4, 2008 at 7:45 pm

Love those KnitPicks Options needles. You only have to buy what you need. I had an early set of cables go bust, and like Min’s they replaced them for me for free. The second set has been trouble-free, fast, smooth and light.

• 9 Vicki // Apr 5, 2008 at 12:24 am

Oh this will be so lovely. I’m planning to use cotton for it too, so I look forward to seeing your experience.

• 10 Paige // Apr 6, 2008 at 5:15 am

Gorgeous pattern–I’m going to dive into it too…but I’m confused…”ssk”–don’t get it. Slip the two stiches knitwise, then knit them together? How does that work? Can someone enlighten me?

• 11 megan // Apr 6, 2008 at 3:34 pm

Paige – The ssk is a companion to k2tog. While the k2tog leans to the right, the ssk leans to the left, and are often used together in a pattern when decreasing two sides in towards each other, like the tops of raglan sleeves.

• 12 Carrie // Apr 7, 2008 at 8:32 am

I discovered Naturas recently too — love them! As far as interchangables.. I don’t have any (yet) but wanted to add, wait until you have two projects that need the same needle. Suddenly those interchangables start to look really good :)

• 13 maria // Apr 9, 2008 at 1:17 pm

I love Naturas! They are my favorite needle. I wish they still made them in size 1, because I loved using them for knitting socks (using magic loop method).

For Paige — if you can’t get the SSK down, you could also work SKP (or slip 1, knit 1, pass slipped stitch over [psso]). The two decreases have the same effect.

• 14 amy // Apr 14, 2008 at 7:06 pm

Megan! I just started this & am having a terrible time. I keep starting over due to what I think is a mystery dropped stitch, I’m thinking somewheres over these yo’s. Any advice? I love this pattern & am starting to memorize it plus I love my yarn I’m trying (malabrigo silky merino in bosques) – so I won’t give up!