links: shopping, misc

Star Wars Action Figure Prints, at Uncrate. If only I really needed one of these.

Fluff Balls for your dryer instead of plastic or rubber dryer balls, at Re-Nest

For ReadyMade’s Green Issue: we’re now offering a paperless edition of the magazine, and the first virtual installment is completely free. Yay!

How to Make a “Unique” Diaper Cake, it hides a whole bottle of champagne inside! at Alpha Mom.

Why does it take 20 minutes for the pharmacy to fill my prescription, even when there’s no other people in line? at Ask Metafilter

Mon.thly, a free site that helps you track your period.

You know those cardboard inserts you can put in t-shirts so they keep their shape for displaying purposes? Where can I buy them? at Ask Metafilter

Is there some kind of trick for preventing underwire poke-through? Can the ruined bras be repaired? and Has anyone successfully managed to repair a sticky out wire coming out from an underwired bra? at Ask Metafilter

Authoritative guide on manners, etiquette, and all that good stuff? at Ask Metafilter

· comments [18] · 04-4-2008 · categories:shopping ·

• 1 nikta // Apr 4, 2008 at 10:47 am

i didn’t feel like paying 5 bucks so i can comment on metafilter but i wanted to get this out there re: Why does it take 20 minutes for the pharmacy to fill my prescription, even when there’s no other people in line?
    please read this
    i’ve been working at a tech at a grocery store pharmacy and i swear to god we’re not just sitting around!

• 2 you'll probably delete me barrie // Apr 4, 2008 at 3:04 pm

ack! my boyfriend introduced me to uncrate. great site.

and i don’t understand metafilter. why do they charge? i mean there are other means of advertising. i guess i can understand why they wouldn’t, but it also boggles my mind that so many people are paying money to ask and answer questions from people they don’t know.

• 3 Lynn // Apr 5, 2008 at 5:26 am

Ditto the metafilter charge. Here’s how to fix an underwire bra, via Raven-Symone presents: http://www.ravensymonepresents.com/videos/fixed_bra_underwire.html I would have never seen this if it weren’t for my middle-schoolers!

• 4 femmme // Apr 5, 2008 at 5:38 am

I love all of these! yay

• 5 cat (a newish meta user) // Apr 5, 2008 at 6:41 am

@ barrie and lynn, the metafilter charge works as a barrier to entry which helps keep the quality of posts and responses fairly high. otherwise, responses are far more likely degenerate into arbitrary posts that permeate, say yahoo!answers, which makes it hell on the moderators to do quality-control.

also the site is more than just askmeta – there is also the main metafilter ‘blog’ site and a few others. I coughed up the $5 after lurking for about 3 months – that is, once I identified with the community that is meta and felt compelled to join. I guess the $5 encourages frequent participation too since you want to get the most bang for the (5) buck(s)!

• 6 Jessy // Apr 5, 2008 at 7:32 am

Another great site for tracking your period: http://cyclespage.com

• 7 rebecca // Apr 5, 2008 at 3:46 pm

have you seen these? http://www.landsend.com/pp/WedgeBeachSlides~180991_-1.html I think I remember you being in constant search for sandals without a two-divide :)

• 8 Andrea // Apr 5, 2008 at 9:50 pm

One person I do not want to rush is my pharmacist. I’d rather them take 30 minutes (or even 2 hours for that matter) to fill my prescription right than fill it incorrectly in 5 minutes and have it kill me.

• 9 megan // Apr 6, 2008 at 3:32 pm

Rebecca – Thank you! These look great. They might emphasize my freakishly long toes but at least I’ll be able to walk.

• 10 megan // Apr 6, 2008 at 3:38 pm

Barrie and Lynn – Also something to keep in mind, when you are a subscriber and signed in there are minimal or no ads on the Metafilter pages.

• 11 Katie // Apr 6, 2008 at 5:32 pm

One of the comments on the Fluff Ball page is that people don’t like tennis balls because of the smell they leave on clothes – I solved that problem by putting a few drops of essential oil on them. I used lavender, but you could use anything – it won’t stain your clothes and I haven’t had any other issues with it….if you’re allergic or something, obviously not a good idea, but I love the smell on my clothes after a very small amount of essential oil.

• 12 megan // Apr 6, 2008 at 5:46 pm

Katie – Thanks for the tip. Does the essential oil just mask the scent of the tennis balls? The other issue somebody brought up with the dryer balls and tennis balls was that they could eventually knock loose the fins on the inside of the dryer if they are attached (not molded in one piece). I have to wonder if the felt balls would be lighter weight and possibly less likely to cause harm.

• 13 Stacey // Apr 7, 2008 at 6:50 am

Love this….and I’m on my way over to figure out that bra underwire thing. That would be big news if I could fix that!

• 14 Katie // Apr 7, 2008 at 9:42 am

I was never bothered by the smell of the tennis balls, actually, but when I do use lavender oil, I can’t smell that smell at all…just a little hint of lavender, which just smells nice and clean. I never thought of the fins getting knocked loose..I guess I should check to see if mine are separately attached. Do you know how the fluff balls are formed? Are they solid all the way through, or hollow? Because I would guess that if they’re solid, they wouldn’t be any lighter than tennis balls. My mother-in-law uses reusable dryer sheets…but I’m not sure what they’re made of. They look a lot like regular dryer sheets, but have no scent and can be reused for a long time (not sure how long, though). She really likes them, anyway.

• 15 megan // Apr 7, 2008 at 9:46 am

Katie – I’m not sure if the fluff balls are hollow. I might look into those reusable dryer sheets, and add a drop off essential oil to those as lavender scented clothing sounds awfully nice on a Monday morning.

• 16 greta // Apr 7, 2008 at 2:14 pm

Back when the Herbfarm had a farm and a gift shop, they used to sell lavender sachets to use in the dryer that worked great. I never had any problems with static or lack of softness, but that might depend on your water or fiber content. I’m sure you could make your own with some scrap fabric and dried lavender, I don’t think they were more than that!

• 17 greta // Apr 7, 2008 at 2:19 pm

Also: just did a Google search for lavender dryer bags, and it looks like they might sell these now at Trader Joe’s? And they got good reviews? http://www.sustainlane.com/reviews/lavender-dryer-bags/R1HKDUR1Y34SP8R18JDVL8P34SP8

Might be worth a try for those who don’t want to make their own! :)

• 18 Katie // Apr 8, 2008 at 10:43 am

For someone who would want to make her own lavender sachet – because I love that idea and have what is needed – anyone have any advice as to what fabric is best for sachets? I have lots of scrap fabric, but I was almost thinking of making one with cross stitching fabric just to see how it would come out.