links: the home

How can I replicate the hotel-bed experience at home? at Ask Metafilter

vegetable gardening in containers is on the rise at Chow — “tennis ball–size heads of iceberg lettuce—which could make an awfully cute little iceberg wedge salad.”

how to make a fabric wall hangingat the Marimekko blog, via Craftzine

‘The Night is Young’ Wall Mural, using a photograph from a Seattle photographer, at Better Living Through Design

I’d like to grow bamboo in a container indoors. at Ask Metafilter

steal this idea: extra-long conduit curtain rod at Shelterrific

I love these curtains made from Marimekko fabric at Making It Lovely.

How should I build temporary, attractive walls/dividers on the cheap in my basement? at Ask Metafilter

door purse organizer at Shelterrific

Grobal, a cool plant container designed by Karim Rashid at Anh-Minh.

Weiman Stainless Steel Cleaner & Polish at SundryBuzz

at Apartment Therapy:

Losethelawn.com, we have been scheming to do something like this.

The Magnificent Drill, after using Makita’s in college I got one when we moved in here, it was expensive but has proved to be worth it.

3 Form Eco Friendly Materials, I love these as room dividers.

The Best Green & Eco Paints We Know Of

Miele Canister Vacuum: Pisces S5280 In the Test Lab

Wireless Outdoor Remote Control Power Outlet

Container Gardening in Mother Earth News, check out the DIY self watering bucket

Outdoor Solar Shoji Lanterns

How Can I Liven Up My Hallway?

Laundry Dropps, I wish I had these during the laundromat days, at Cool Hunting

· comments [10] · 04-3-2008 · categories:the home ·

• 1 April // Apr 3, 2008 at 11:10 am

ha! I just framed my Marimekko fabric. (Found in the scrap basket at Tuuli in the market…)

• 2 Marissa // Apr 3, 2008 at 11:12 am

So, when you post all these links on your site, are you getting insane numbers of hits for google results? Or does it boost your ad revenue?

• 3 Amy // Apr 3, 2008 at 11:22 am

Today’s links were like the best ever. So inspired to do some things around the house.

• 4 megan // Apr 3, 2008 at 11:26 am

April – There is scrap basket? I had no idea, thanks for letting us know.

Marissa – Neither, they are simply things I think I might want to find again later on.

Amy – Thanks, this spring is making me want to update a bunch of stuff around the house, I suspect it’s the extra sunlight.

• 5 MKH // Apr 3, 2008 at 11:51 am

Given that you are discussing fabric wall hangings — do you have any information on how to incorporate something like this into a window cover and have it be easy to open, etc. Seems like it might work?

• 6 megan // Apr 3, 2008 at 12:02 pm

MKH – Are you thinking of putting hinges on the wall hanging? Something like that? Or hang it right from the top of sill? Are you going for privacy or decoration?

• 7 Marissa // Apr 3, 2008 at 1:19 pm

Cool – thanks! I was hoping it was some kind of blog secret I could get in on! :)

• 8 Karin // Apr 3, 2008 at 2:26 pm

Do you know if most any vegetable be grown indoors? I like in a college dorm and want to grow vegetables so badly! But I know that indoor gardens are the only way to go for me. I started looking at the Thomson & Morgan site and I just got all veggie-excited :)

• 9 Lacey // Apr 3, 2008 at 2:43 pm

I’ve got conduit curtain rods in my living room! Actually, double rods–one for sheers, one for curtains. I’ve got my dad to thank for this cool idea and I highly recommend this inexpensive solution; they cost about $3 each for 9ft. lengths.

Also, I’m totally getting that purse organizer. It’s sweet, dangit!

• 10 Barry // Apr 11, 2008 at 5:02 pm

So, right now I am using Earth Boxes – unbelievable and easy. Bigger plants higher yields than my in-ground plants. Once summer kicks in fully I’ll be firing up my AeroGarden (hydroponic indoor)and get my Arugula going.

The AeroGarden is good for apartments but it is a little limited in variety of what you can grow at the same time. In other words when I start the Arugula that’s all I’ll be able to grow until they run their course.