links: food

Where the heck can I find pretzel rings? Not twists, not sticks, not rods… rings! at Ask Metafilter

Honibe, a honey candy for your tea. This has been linked to from everywhere, but if you haven’t seen it yet it’s worth checking out.

greasing and flouring vs. greasing a pan at Baking Bites

fried potato spirals on a stick at TasteSpotting

sushi peeps at Metroblogging Seattle

Are there any cooking substitutes for heavy cream? at Ask Metafilter

Favorite Egg Recipes at 101 Cookbooks

pancetta cups at The Kitchen. They mention something I forgot to specify — the only reason I used so much tin foil while making my bacon cups is because I was on my way to a gluten free household and I didn’t want to risk any contamination.

pecan pie, oh yum, at Lovescool

original girl scout cookies, a recipe from 1922, at Epicurious, lost my reference for this one

Easter cakes baked in egg shells, eee!, at Might Girl

bacon + cake at Miss Ginsu

‘Nilla Salt at Chow

Maple Syrup Grades at The Kitchen, I keep an eye out for grade B but nothing can beat the syrup served right from the Sugarhouse during the Cleveland Metroparks maple sugar hikes.

On Greens, and How to Keep Them Fresh at Chocolate and Zucchini

OXO Pop Containers at Uncrate. I like the way these look and work, I’ll have to investigate more.

Homemade Magic Shell at Brownie Points

pudding cakes at The Kitchen

Nice, the 90th Anniversary KitchenAid Stand Mixer will have a big glass bowl. At The Kitchen.

· comments [17] · 04-1-2008 · categories:food ·

• 1 B // Apr 1, 2008 at 6:51 am

Graw. (That’s my internet frustration noise, please don’t let it frighten you!) My comment is unrelated to this post—I’ve been searching out a site that I’m sure you’ve linked to before, one where they sell a different good each day (or is it week?), and while the site keeps selling the goods until they’re sold out, the product is only on sale if you buy it when it’s first featured on the site? (Googling different versions of this comment (“sale” “deal” “day” etc) has been, as you can imagine, less than helpful. Thanks Megan!

• 2 amarieda // Apr 1, 2008 at 7:43 am

What awesome links! I almost wish I’d waited to get the Kitchen Aid with the glass bowl…

RE: the Pecan Pie, my favorite is the Toasted-Pecan Pie from BonAppetit http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/231128
    I get regular requests for this one, even from my husband who doesn’t like nuts!

B- I think the site you’re thinking of is http://www.delight.com

• 3 latenac // Apr 1, 2008 at 7:45 am

In the heavy cream link it’s worth repeating that a good site for food substitutions is http://foodsubs.com/ they’ve recently started adding vegan substitutes as well. They’ve saved me many a trip to the store.

• 4 megan // Apr 1, 2008 at 8:20 am

G – delight.com

Amarieda – Oh, thanks for the link, I’m going to have to test some pecan pie recipes soon.

Latenac – Thanks!

• 5 Nicole // Apr 1, 2008 at 8:25 am

Grade B is plentiful in OH at the farmer’s markets.

• 6 Alex // Apr 1, 2008 at 9:45 am

I use one of the big OXO pop containers for a flour canister and it’s really great – it holds an entire bag of flour, the lid opens easily, the container is lightweight, and the lid is a tight seal. They’re a little pricey but worth it, IMO.

• 7 you'll probably delete me barrie // Apr 1, 2008 at 11:08 am

funny how you’ve turned me on to some of these websites that i’m starting to put them in my daily queue, thus seeing them before you post them.

all of 101cookbooks.com recipes are so damn easy and delicous. i’ve tried practically all those egg recipes. just last night i made the poached egg over rice bowl. so awesome!

• 8 Daphne // Apr 1, 2008 at 11:23 am

Okay, I don’t have a Metafilter login but I SOOO want to tell that pretzel person to buy Newman’s Own pretzels.

Now I want pretzels.

• 9 megan // Apr 1, 2008 at 11:29 am

Alex – Thanks, flour storage is important to me, I keep the whole wheat ones in the fridge and I need an airtight container so it’s good to know one of the OXO containers will fit a whole bag of flour.

Barrie – I’m not surprised, I bookmark things and keep them until I have a large enough group to publish.

Daphne – Thanks, did you see the suggestion to use them to make the Rolo turtles, those Newman’s pretzels would be perfection for that!

• 10 you'll probably delete me barrie // Apr 1, 2008 at 12:20 pm

oh my crap, i totally had those rolo turtles for the superbowl this year. they are truly amazing and too easy to make. if you make them for a party they’ll be gone in less than 5 minutes. so make oodles of them.

• 11 Abby // Apr 1, 2008 at 12:53 pm

I need to make those Girl Scout cookies! For nostalgic reasons, if nothing else.

And is it silly to own two Kitchenaid mixers? That glass bowl is calling to me….

• 12 McAuliflower // Apr 1, 2008 at 3:54 pm

Ooo- that peep sushi makes me hurt just looking at it!

• 13 Emma // Apr 1, 2008 at 8:35 pm

Since you don’t seem to have tired of bacon-related links [and who would, really? Aside from, you know, vegetarians... :)], I thought you might enjoy this: http://lollyphile.com/maple-bacon.php

They’re currently sold out, but still, pretty entertaining. I found them via Daily Candy.

• 14 sarah // Apr 2, 2008 at 9:11 am

Megan, long time reader, first time commenter here…love love love your website!

I’m actually responding to comment #1: are you thinking of Woot!?

• 15 sarah // Apr 2, 2008 at 9:18 am

Then I read the comments more carefully. Oops.

• 16 sheryfa luna // Apr 5, 2008 at 8:15 pm

you can get the OXO pop containers at BB&B and use those 20% coupons. They work great and are better imho than clik clak! They stack nicely and have a nifty way to clean the lid and hermetic mechanism! I am planning to buy more when I get more coupons. They also sell them at Crate and Barrel and Macys but in limited styles. BB&B has the whole gamut. YUMMMMMMMMMERS!!!

• 17 megan // Apr 19, 2008 at 8:31 am