Eastertime

I’m hoping to find time to make chocolate filled eggs but Easter is coming so quickly this year. Here are the links I’ve been gathering:

Chocolate Egg How-To at Martha Stewart. Note, the drying time for the emptied and sterilized egg shells is two to three days. I would like to do a praline center, like these eggs that Dean & Deluca carries each year.

Golden Chocolate Easter Eggs by Francisco Migoya, an instructor in baking and Pastry Arts at The Culinary Institute of America New York, shown at Apartment Therapy. These include various chocolate filling variaions.

See also the Naturally Dyed Easter Eggs at this Curbly video podcast, and Dyeing Eggs Naturally at the Martha Stewart website.

Mighty Goods has up Easter guides: Easter basket guide, Easter baskets for babies and Easter baskets for grown ups.

I love the candies that high end stores carry around Easter, if only to work as inspiration. Dean & Deluca’s Easter Sweets is one I check each year. I love the fizzy-candy filled chocolate frogs. (Why couldn’t the Harry Potter theme candies be more like this?)

Williams-Sonoma Easter candies are simple and sweet. I’m admiring the chocolate pea pods and carrots.

I’ve already mentioned how much I like the Hotel Chocolat’s UK Easter Colleciton with the thrillingly large eggs filled with a large variety of chocolates.

I would love to hear about any Easter candy or Easter projects that has you inspired this year. Give me some ideas!

· comments [27] · 03-14-2008 · categories:holidays ·

• 1 Rachel // Mar 14, 2008 at 6:38 am

I did the chocolate easter egg thing a couple of years ago. It’s not as easy as it looks. I should say prepping the eggs and filling them is th easy part. Prying the shell off the chocolate that’s the hard part. There’s a reason that only a couple of eggs are peeled in the picture. If you have better luck, I’d love to know your secret.

• 2 Wende // Mar 14, 2008 at 7:12 am

You should check out the 11 March post at http://bitterbettyindustries.blogspot.com/. She pimped her bunnies. :D

• 3 Patti // Mar 14, 2008 at 7:26 am

I’ve had my son paint a ceramic easter egg every year at Paint the Town. He did this year’s yesterday. It’s really fun to get them out every year and see the difference in eggs. :)

He’s 13 this year, has a goofy sense of humor and still likes the hunt. I get chocolate from Fran’s, and also things like Cadbury mini-eggs, which I put in some really cute plastic eggs I got at Target last year, they look like little animals. I hide books and stuff, too.

• 4 Susan // Mar 14, 2008 at 8:09 am

When we were kids, the Easter Bunny always left us an egg made out of sugar. It was hollow, open on one end and you could see a little scene inside. Anyone know what these are called or where to find them? I don’t think my kids have ever seen them.

Susan

• 5 megan // Mar 14, 2008 at 8:21 am

Susan – I’ve always wanted to make one of those, and occasionally see them in the stores around Easter. But, the ones I’ve seen are never very detailed. I’m finding these called panoramic eggs or panorama sugar eggs (or combinations like that). You can find instructions on making them a few places, here at HGTV. Looks like you can get some at Candy Warehouse, and I found some for sale at Amazon.com. Might be hard to locate but they are still around.

• 6 ansley // Mar 14, 2008 at 9:38 am

My Mom & I made those sugar panoramic eggs one year. I got a large 2-part chocolate egg mold and used the recipee for day of the dead sugar skulls to make the sugar shell: http://www.mexicansugarskull.com/mexicansugarskull/
    We used royal icing in a piping bag to help decorate and close the egg.

• 7 ansley // Mar 14, 2008 at 9:40 am

I just found directions to the sugar egg here:

• 8 Lillian // Mar 14, 2008 at 10:10 am

“I love the fizzy-candy filled chocolate frogs. (Why couldn’t the Harry Potter theme candies be more like this?)”

I totally agree. The HP-themed candies had such potential, but sigh.

• 9 paola // Mar 14, 2008 at 11:16 am

Everyone in the UK always has huge chocolate eggs filled with extra chocolates (the Hotel Chocolat ones actually seem fairly modest in size) and I am very disappointed not to find them here.

It’s not a tradition I want the Minx to miss out on, so I’ve procured moulds )sadly quite small ones) for making chocolate eggs here http://www.sugarcraft.com and might even get round to making them this weekend. It’s also traditional in the UK to make a Simnel Cake, which is a fruit cake baked with a layer of marzipan in the middle.

Can ready made marzipan be bought in the States? I don’t think I’ve seen it.

• 10 megan // Mar 14, 2008 at 11:25 am

Paola – I’ve seen marzipan in shops, but you might need to go someplace a little more specialized than QFC. I’ve seen tubes of it in the baking aisle of someplace around here, but I cannot recall specifically where. I would head to Whole Foods, that is my default place-that-has-everything.

• 11 Lori // Mar 14, 2008 at 2:22 pm

While I’d love to actually use the Martha Stewart chocolate easter molds I bought years ago, I think this year I might only make time to do the Jello Eggs.

• 12 jensiejean // Mar 14, 2008 at 2:24 pm

I am a sucker for the tried and true rice krispies nest with M&Ms nestled inside like eggs. Super cute and quick and easy. A quick wrap of Saran and you’re on your way.

• 13 corri // Mar 14, 2008 at 8:24 pm

i made those eggs once the ones where you put chocolate into blown eggs, it was hard but oh so cool!

• 14 Amy // Mar 14, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Wow, the culinary expert’s way looks a LOT easier than Martha’s! Am thinking about trying it. It is the same blowing/drying technique used to create Ukrainian easter eggs, a really fun project, but one that requires special tools and dyes.

Love your blog, and thanks for posting these!

• 15 justJENN // Mar 14, 2008 at 9:54 pm

I am making PEEP cupcakes like crazy up in here!

• 16 rubycakes // Mar 15, 2008 at 8:23 am

You can get marizpan in most big grocery stores in the Seattle area, particularly stores in Ballard. :) Its usually in the baking section. I use it alot in my baking and haven’t had a problem finding it on my usual trips to the store.

Speaking of grocery stores, in high school I used to dye eggs with onion skins. I would ask the produce guys at the store if I could just take some skins from the onion bins. I loved the way these eggs looked…like marble with reds and greens and gold. My mom always said they looked like they had just come out of a chicken. Heh Heh She just really preferred the crazy PAAS pastels.

• 17 ErinCollins // Mar 15, 2008 at 1:46 pm

Have you seen VChocolates Frogs? They are so cute! I wish I could find a pic link for you, but they are $10 for 40 and they are the most accurate-looking chocolate frogs. You can order them here: http://vchocolates.net/vshop.php?action=products&cat=chocolates&id=4

p.s. Your page rocks. I check it every week!

• 18 littlem // Mar 15, 2008 at 2:14 pm

Check out the Australian version – easter bilbies: http://www.easterbilby.com.au/save_bilby/chocolate.asp

• 19 lynne // Mar 15, 2008 at 6:41 pm

This year the kids will get to have chocolate bunnies at Easter, because I found this site: http://www.vermontnutfree.com/ for peanut- and tree nut-free candy. (Can’t speak to the taste, haven’t tried them yet, but the bunnies look good!)

• 20 What Happens Next // Mar 15, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Those eggs are too beautiful to eat!!! I can’t wait to see what the Easter Bunny leaves in my basket this year. Hopefully a chocolate egg or too :)

• 21 Chronographia // Mar 15, 2008 at 10:33 pm

I don’t know how much more difficult these oeufes en chocolat (http://www.flickr.com/photos/63762905@N00/452764892/) would be to make versus solid chocolate, but brownie-inna-shell just looks so awesome.

• 22 The Java Junkie // Mar 16, 2008 at 2:29 am

Here’s another link for Panoramic sugar eggs: http://www.imperialsugar.com/fw/main/Easter_Traditions_Panorama_Sugar_Eggs-1137.html

See’s Candy used to carry them in their shops at Easter, too.

• 23 Tamara S // Mar 16, 2008 at 6:13 am

Hello! I love reading your site, you always have interesting stuff on here!

My frend and I were also disapointed in the way the HP-themed candies were on the market so I made homemade chocolate frogs for her out of a soap mold I found, (I didn’t make soap in it , it was bought specifically for the purpose of making chocolate frogs) but the frogs in your picture look exactly like the ones in the soap mold, so you could probally make them. It was a bit messy, but I got to eat all the mistakes ones so it evened out.

Also Wilton makes sugar egg kits to make those little sugar egg thingies.

I found them as kits with premade decorations to put inside them from michael’s? This was several years ago, and it was fun to make but very messy.

• 24 Cakespy // Mar 17, 2008 at 12:30 pm

Those froggies are too cute! I have been digging on L.A. Burdick’s easter offerings too. And I am loving Tamara’s tip above about the soap mold!

• 25 Catman // Mar 18, 2008 at 8:50 pm

I don’t know you, Not Martha, but I appreciate that you actually link to Martha, Goddess of The Modern Do It Yourself Movement, ca. 1991.

You might like to know about cascarones, a Chicano tradition.

1. Blow out and dry egg shells.
    2. Dye egg shells and dry them out.
    3. Stuff with confetti and tape ends shut.
    4. Smash them on your friends’ heads!
    5. It’s a festive, irreverent, Mexican-American way to celebrate Easter.

Love you.

• 26 Kimberly Ann // Mar 19, 2008 at 6:52 am

I’m planning on trying the Martha chocolate eggs myself. I’ll be doing the blowing, sterilization part of it today. Wish me luck.

• 27 Jesse // Apr 14, 2011 at 7:20 pm

This is such a good idea. I am going to try them this easter for sure. In the past I haven’t been too crafty when it comes to holiday foods, but this site has opened my eyes to a world of food creativity. I found these really cute chicks and rabbits gummy candy that I thought I’d share with all of you just in return for such a good idea!