links: beauty, shopping, misc

skin care for every decade of life from Oprah.com

MORE books I’m looking forward to this year. at Bookshelves of Doom

A Nerd’s Lament: The Folly of Follicular Fulfillment or What The Hell Am I Supposed to Do With This Stuff On My Head? at The Park Bench

I’d like to stop using plastic grocery bags, but I use them as liners in all of my garbage cans. Any ideas on what to use as garbage liners in lieu of the plastic bags? at Ask Metafilter

How do you get over being paranoid about driving? at Ask Metafilter

Mystery Gift Box at Product Dose

How do I get my husband to the dinner table? at Ask Metafilter

Clinique Pore Minimizer Instant Perfector, I’m considering trying this out, anybody use it? Worth the price?

Nighttime note taking tools? at Ask Metafilter. I think I need a way to jot down notes in the shower, many brilliant ideas have been lost by the time I’m drying my hair.

Did ninjas ever actually exist? at Ask Metafilter

Christian Siriano from Bravo’s Project Runway carries a big beige tote, and sometimes he carries one in white. Where can I find one or one like it? at Ask Metafilter

My niece just got her first period — how to celebrate? Or is that a weird thing to do? at Ask Metafilter. My friends threw each other little parties, but it would have been weird if one of the adults was involved.

broken link necklace at Swiss Miss

Rules of Thumb at Cool Tools

I need a seriously gigantic novelty toothbrush. at Ask Metafilter

Tee hee, guess what else you can find at the Vermont Country Store, at Jezebel

· comments [23] · 02-6-2008 · categories:beauty · links · misc · shopping ·

• 1 jen s // Feb 6, 2008 at 9:56 am

i’ve been using Clinique Pore Minimizer Instant Perfector for a few years – i think it’s great! i helps hide my big pores in the winter when my face is pale. there’s also a version with a skin-tone tint, and i use that on my nose as well.

• 2 brooke // Feb 6, 2008 at 10:04 am

Clinique pore minimizer? My pores are like craters. The pore minimizer is magic. Magic.

• 3 amy // Feb 6, 2008 at 10:15 am

About the Clinique Pore Minimizer Instant Perfector, I used this for a long time in lieu of full fondation and it works. It’s not a miracle worker, but it does make everything appear a bit smoother.

However, I now use Philosphy’s the supernatural poreless, flawless spf 15. It does the exact same thing as the Clinique product — the texture of the goop itself is even exactly the same, light and souffle like — but with SPF 15.

It’s about twice the price of the Clinique one, but more than twice the size.

• 4 fillyjonk // Feb 6, 2008 at 10:53 am

Wow, that thing about the man not coming to the table when DINNER HAS BEEN COOKED FOR HIM is just incredibly sad.

If I had someone to cook for me? Heck, I’d not only be on time to dinner every night, I’d do the dishes.

• 5 susan // Feb 6, 2008 at 2:40 pm

There are very few things that piss me off as much as someone not dropping everything and coming to the table when called. I go stupid-mental-crazy. I mean how flippin’ ungrateful can you be?!?
    My man has learned. He doesn’t have to be called twice anymore.

• 6 Kelly // Feb 6, 2008 at 2:41 pm

i’ve tried to Clinique pore minimizer out before and didn’t have the same success as Amy, Brooke, or Jen S.. it didn’t seem to have any effect what so ever! Maybe my pores are defective.

• 7 Sarah // Feb 6, 2008 at 2:58 pm

Bath crayons. Find them in the toddler section of the toy shop. While I was at uni I used to write my essay outlines in the shower with them!

• 8 Ellen // Feb 6, 2008 at 3:11 pm

Clinique Pore Minimizer did not work well for me, plus my skin got itchy after some time. Like Amy, I’m using Philosphy’s the supernatural poreless, flawless spf 15. Primer, tint, and SPF, what more can I ask for. I also use Benefit’s Dr. Feelgood when I don’t like any tint.

• 9 sarah // Feb 6, 2008 at 3:25 pm

I also didn’t have any luck with the Clinique Pore Minimizer at all. I have very sensitive skin and it actually made my skin break out.

• 10 ks // Feb 6, 2008 at 4:05 pm

I checked out the Oprah link. That magazine would have me spending hundreds of dollars on things I don’t think I need.

I’m starting to face facts about looking older in my late 30s. I have a hard time believing that bottles of creme will slow down what is bound to happen. For dryness and UV protection, I’ll use them. But it seems like all moisturizers do the same thing for me. They shouldn’t smell bad or irritate my skin. Cleanser too.

I think appearing youthful despite age is a matter of genes and sun screen/protection if you’re fair. Other healthy options like not smoking or being a drug addict help.

• 11 jen // Feb 6, 2008 at 6:28 pm

maybe instead of a period party, you just get her a nice something that commemorates it and says, welcome to the club…

maybe a nice handbag with some midol in it?! or there are some cheeky tampon carriers for your purse as well.

• 12 J Regina // Feb 6, 2008 at 8:39 pm

I bought a smaller container of the pore minimizer from Sephora (They had a $10 size.) I noticed a big difference the first day I used it. Now it is more average-working.

• 13 kelly // Feb 6, 2008 at 8:55 pm

I see you’ve gotten one suggestion for the shower notes (bath crayons — they’re great!) but I have another. If you have shiny (not matte) tiles in your shower, you can use a dry-erase marker right on the tile! (Not on the grout, though…)

Be sure to test it out in an inconspicuous location, but this has worked great for me in the past. (I’ve made little dry erase “boards” from them.) Good luck!

• 14 Julie // Feb 6, 2008 at 10:48 pm

I recommend some hot/warm compresses and exfoliation for the pores. Maybe a great facial too. You might not even need a pore minimizer!

• 15 Sacha // Feb 7, 2008 at 4:56 am

Re: writing in the shower, Cool Tools recommended a dive slate–you know, the kind that are used underwater during SCUBA excursions. I can’t find the link but I remember because I thought it was such a brilliant idea.

Re: the first period, I have to plug my favorite reusable menstrual cup, The Mooncup. I would have been too freaked out by this at my first period but I wasn’t even aware that the option existed until adulthood. Anyone who is comfortable inserting a plus or super plus absorbency tampon could use this and it’s especially wonderful for very heavy or very light flows. Check it out @ http://www.thekeeper.com/!

• 16 marielle // Feb 7, 2008 at 6:57 am

I’m horribly allergic to all Clinique products, so I can’t comment re: their pore minimizer. However, Neutrogena’s Pore Refining Cream absolutely changed the landscape of my face when I discovered it some years ago!

It’s crazy hard to find, so I get mine online from drugstore.com or ulta.com.

And that Vermont Country Store link? That made my morning – too, too funny :)

• 17 megan // Feb 7, 2008 at 9:11 am

Julie – You do me a disservice to assume I don’t have a skin care routine that includes exfoliation. Nope, these pores were inherited and no matter what measures I take they will not become smaller on their own.

Thanks so much to everybody who gave recommendations for primers! I’ll definitely look into the ones with SPF as well.

• 18 Dodi // Feb 7, 2008 at 9:58 am

My mother bought me a womanhood ring to celebrate. She had a horrifying experience with her parents so she made sure my sister and I had no embarrassment. I picked a lovely opal ring from the estate collection of our local shop. That ring was my first “real” jewelry and I love it still.

• 19 Kim // Feb 7, 2008 at 11:43 am

Thank you so much for the link to Jezebel’s Vermont Country Whore…the catalog’s descriptions were laughingly clinical and the post’s comments were absolutely hysterical.

• 20 Elana // Feb 7, 2008 at 2:21 pm

Get some cheap lipliners and write on teh wall of the shower. :-D

• 21 Adrienne // Feb 8, 2008 at 8:36 am

I’m all over the Pore Minimizer…I too use it in lieu of foundation. Have used it since they changed the formulation of the other one, which I can’t even remember what it was called before!

• 22 Sacha // Feb 9, 2008 at 6:34 am

I love the womanhood ring idea! I’ll have to remember that in the future…

• 23 rach // Feb 16, 2008 at 6:06 pm

Clinique Pore Minimiser is the business. Definitely worth it. I’ve been using it for years.