I’m finally, finally finished.
I added an orange zipper so that the light gray wouldn’t be too boring. I think it works. When all zipped up you get only a peek of orange at the top and bottom of the zipper.
I added a glitter charm from Glamscience’s Etsy shop, I really like how the silver blends into the yarn and it’s just a bit or orange sparkle.
The above picture is also a good detail to show where I left live stitches and picked up stitches to join the collar, again it’s more comfortable. The sweater is fitted enough that I don’t think it will eventually pull down on the collar. Also, the high collar doesn’t feel like it’s choking me, yay.
I’m generally happy with it. All the time I spent on finishing the sweater makes it very wearable. Whereas the first one was too big and looks a little frumpy (though, so comfortable). This one is a size smaller and more fitted. I was being careful to not make the sleeves and body too long and I think being conservative here worked against me, I could use another inch of length in the hem, sleeves and collar. I made this one seamless, so I knit all the pieces of the body in one flat part, and the sleeves in the round, and only seamed the arms to the body. For a sweater without much ease, it definitely makes a difference in the sillouette. I think it looks better, and the arm movement is freer (it sort of makes me want to wave my arms around like a crazy person, actually). I like it, and plan on making sweater with as few seams as I can in the future.
update: After wearing it twice I’ve decided it’s just too short for me as it’s a good two inches above the hem of the type of shirt I wear most often. And I’d like the sleeves to be a wee bit longer and the collar to be a tiny bit higher. So I’m going to undo it and add length (again) before the yarn gets that broken in look and I cannot add any more. Clearly I’m a masochist. But I just know that if I don’t fix it this will be an unworn sweater, and I don’t need to add anything to the pile of shamefully unused objects. Perhaps once it’s actually finished I can nominate it for the Most Finished Sweater of the Year.
Maybe I’ll make the neck hole a bit deeper this time. I’m surprised to find that the higher neck doesn’t feel too tight despite the fact that it doesn’t have any room, but I could use a little more room in there. And I might shape the back of the neck just a little, it’s creating a slight bulge at the center back of the neck.
After going up a few needle sizes trying to get gauge for the Central Park Hoodie with the Berroco Comfort yarn I started wondering if this project would be better done with a larger yarn, and saving the Comfort to make Chicknit’s Twist. I have a couple of skeins of my favorite, favorite Inca Cotton and was doing a bit of research when I came across this entry at Crazy for Ewe about how yard for yard Inca Cotton is actually less expensive than Lion Brand Organic Cotton. I’m definitely going to be looking into making a yummy soft Inca Cotton sweater for myself. Maybe next.
Also, after trying out knitting Comfort on a few different types of plastic needles, including the nice and flexy Bruspun circulars, I’ve decided I’d rather go with some nice bamboo since the acrylic yarn, no matter how soft, still squeaks against plastic needles.