links: food

How do you know when sourdough starter goes bad? at Ask Metafilter

“The progressive wine list” organizes bottles from lightest to heaviest at Chow. The page mentions Napa Seasoning Vignon which looks interesting.

Coffee-Braised Brisket with Cream and Sugar at Hogwash

pasta with broccoli rabe at Shelteriffic, I’ve linked to this before (and this a re-post of theirs) but I wanted to note that I still like it, and if you like me cannot ever find broccoli rabe, kale works nicely

Fettuccine with Brown Butter and Sage at Splatgirl Creates

Which Whisk is Which? at the NY Times, via Chow

tofu tastings at GirlHacker

Pizza stone kits tested at Baking Bites

Homemade Girl Scout Cookies: Samoas at Baking Bites (added: !!!)

Help me make a tall cheesecake. at Ask Metafilter

how to make a quesadilla at Roots and Grubs, and Mexican Casserole at Gluten-Free Girl

Were produce and meat really better in the old days? How can we be sure? at Ask Metafilter

The Coveted Ice Cream Maker at Chow

Rigatoni with Eggplant Puree at Smitten Kitchen

· comments [11] · 01-30-2008 · categories:food · recipes ·

• 1 liz // Jan 30, 2008 at 5:50 am

You have just made my day with that Samoas recipe.

• 2 Rachel // Jan 30, 2008 at 7:25 am

I didn’t leave a comment on metafilter but you can tell when sourdough has gone bad because it will turn orange!

• 3 Bubbles // Jan 30, 2008 at 7:32 am

Homemade samoas…. This could be dangerous information. I’m making a shopping list.

• 4 barrie // Jan 30, 2008 at 10:14 am

i’ve made that broccoli rabe recipe many times, since you posted it. and qfc on broadway has it when i need it. look there. in the back, on the left.

also, my guys at pike place market, the one right on pike have it too.

needless to say that recipe rocks da house.

• 5 RBBenson // Jan 30, 2008 at 10:46 am

I too have that freezing food resolution. I wanted to purchase one of those fancy food sealers…but my pocket book could not handle it. I am now obsessed with my recent Reynolds HandiVac purchase. Cheap and easy. To further save money, I put individual sized portions in smaller cheaper bags but do not seal them and then put all of them in the larger HandiVac bags and VOILA. Here is the link, and also a link from someone who reviewed them (I don’t know her or ever read her blog – but might start after this spot on post)…

• 6 MC // Jan 30, 2008 at 10:46 am

A recipe for girlscouts cookies?! Good, i was sick of giving them my money! ;)

• 7 Brittany // Jan 30, 2008 at 4:13 pm

I was just looking at quesadillas over at this site:

yum!

• 8 julia // Jan 30, 2008 at 4:46 pm

I made the fettucine with brown butter and sage for dinner. Its soooo good! My new favorite comfort food.

• 9 Lenore // Jan 30, 2008 at 7:02 pm

I immediately clicked the Which Whist… link, and was disappointed that it wasn’t about card games. Oh, well. I like whisks, too.

• 10 kelley // Jan 31, 2008 at 8:25 pm

why is it that for the last few years, all you hear about is broccoli rabe, but you can never find any in the store?

i ask you!

• 11 Living Juicy » Mealtime Inspiration: To Be Pasta: // Jan 3, 2010 at 9:14 pm

[...] This recipe was inspired by Shelterrific’s Pasta with Broc­coli Rabe which I found through Not Martha. [...]