Creative Fitness Door Gym

Continuing the theme of home fitness equipment that doesn’t suck from yesterday‘s post about the Schwinn 430 Elliptical Trainer, I’m going to tell you about Scott‘s chin up bar. I’d call it mine as well if I could manage to do more than one at a time (working on it).

After a bit of research Scott got the Creative Fitness Door Gym chin up bar. Scott was looking for a bar that wouldn’t destroy our doorway. This one has a section that curves up and rests a good amount of the weight on the wall on the other side and above you, meaning the stress is distributed between the wall on the other side of the door and the door frame in front of you. All the bits that touch are that rubbery foam, and it doesn’t leave a mark. The chin up bar comes with a small clip that you attach to the top of the door frame on the other side of the wall that you secure with a finishing nail. This clip keeps the bar from falling when you’re not hanging from it. Gosh, I hope that makes sense, the image below might make it clearer. We have regular sized doors, 8-foot ceilings, and have plenty of space for you head. I was a little worried about that.

The bar is easily taken down to be stored away until you need it, which is good because otherwise we couldn’t close the door to the laundry room. The bar allows you to do regular chin ups and also has two handles that stick out towards you that are shown more clearly in the photograph below. They allow you another arm position (I don’t know what those slings are). It can also be used as a push up bar, and for sit ups. Overall we dig it and usually leave it up so that one or two pull ups can be done (or attempted) on the way to drop off laundry, which dramatically increases my likelyhood of doing a pull up during any given day. So, you know, thumbs up.

· comments [12] · 01-18-2008 · categories:shopping · the home ·

• 1 molly! // Jan 18, 2008 at 6:23 am

The slings look like they are for wimps to start off with baby pull-ups. I could use those!

• 2 Melissa // Jan 18, 2008 at 6:34 am

The slings hold your arms so you can do leg lifts. Do like the women is doing in the picture and lift your knees up to your chest. It works the abs.

• 3 Justin // Jan 18, 2008 at 7:07 am

Perfect timing! I’ve been in the market for a chin up bar. I’ll definately take a look at this one.

• 4 Lindsay // Jan 18, 2008 at 8:34 am

yep the slings are for hanging leg raises or knee raises. you can do them with legs bent at the knees like the woman in the photo (straight up in front of you, off to the side or one leg up at a time to work the obliques), or you can do them keeping your legs straight. you can hold the raise at the top for a few counts to get a really good contraction. these are incredible for the abs.

• 5 lew // Jan 18, 2008 at 8:53 am

i have been looking for one of these as well. My problem is I live in an older apartment with wood trip and wide doors, not so much width but the depth (thickness of the wall) is larger than more modern builds. Is it adjustable at all?

I have only seen them online so far maybe i can find one in a sporting goods store to look at.

• 6 megan // Jan 18, 2008 at 9:23 am

Lindsay – Thanks.

Lew – This one is not adjustable, but it might work out without the leg lift handles being parallel to the floor.

• 7 Raymond // Jan 18, 2008 at 9:44 am

This is fantastic! I just ordered it a few days ago and am eagerly awaiting it. Am glad to hear it really doesn’t damage the door.

By the way, it’s cheaper to buy the Door Gym from Karate Depot.

• 8 MamaBird // Jan 18, 2008 at 10:59 am

Love this so much! We have NO SPACE, live in a rowhouse, and want to have stuff at home to work out with. Thanks for the alt source, Raymond. Any other ideas for equipment that takes up barely any room (no way we can fit a machine like the elliptical…)?

• 9 katie // Jan 18, 2008 at 3:53 pm

My husband has this chin-up bar and he is completely obsessed with it. I love it just because I find it endlessly amusing to come home late from work and find him in the middle of cooking dinner doing pull-ups. Obviously, I am easily amused.

Sadly, the bar won’t fit over our new apartment’s doorframes. Definitely something for other interested pull-up-ers to consider (measure those doors!).

• 10 stef // Jan 19, 2008 at 3:40 pm

mike got one of these just a few months ago and not destroying a door way was the main reason he bought this chin-up bar.

• 11 Jason // Jan 31, 2008 at 8:25 am

Thanks for the review. Can you explain how one would use it as a sit up bar?

• 12 megan // Jan 31, 2008 at 8:41 am

Jason – You can see pictures of it in use here.