links: beauty, shopping, miscellaneous

Librivox recommendations? at Ask Metafilter

SOLE Ultra SOFTEC Insoles at Cool Tools

Where are the best flannel sheets? at Ask Metafilter

Pleece Scarf, I like this, at Better Living Through Design

Jay Is Games on The Chzo Mythos, games I like because they kindasorta like ye old King’s Quest 3, but a murder mystery.

Great Web games you don’t have to pay for, at Slate

Hangover Cures at The Morning News

I am looking for a pillow that stays cold all the time that does not require water. at Ask Metafilter

What films have the best prologues? at Ask Metafilter

How do I wash this sweater? at Ask Metafilter

Help me understand my pants – Short waisted? Long waisted? How do you find out? at Ask Metafilter

I’d like to make a little pocket money off selling books on half.com. What should I know? at Ask Metafilter

Warning Label Generator via this question at Ask Metafilter

What is the difference between a $75 pedicure at a fancy spa and a sub-$25 pedicure at some hole-in-the-wall storefront? at Ask Metafilter

Curse my gigantic head! at Ask Metafilter. Another person suffering from a head that is unfashionably wide while shopping for eyeglasses.

Seeking women’s clothing online. Please help me get out of my Target / Old Navy rut. at Ask Metafilter, great list to keep around.

Monsterhoodies, at Kottke

Let’s say I want to go to Dental School. At age 38. With no medical or dental background at all. Is this foolish? at Ask Metafilter. This thread turns up something I’ve found do, lots of dentists and eyedoctors are ex-teachers.

What significant items have been irretrievably lost? at Ask Metafilter

We Bought A New Car, Part I and Part II, at Jejune.

Anyone here familiar with the polar opposite of SAD disorder? at Ask Metafilter – sunny days in California did this to me… so it was every day.

I don’t like the way my dry-cleaned shirts feel, will they ever be soft again? at Ask Metafilter

· comments [11] · 01-16-2008 · categories:beauty · shopping ·

• 1 marielle // Jan 16, 2008 at 7:17 am

OMG – summer SAD! I had no idea it happened to anybody but me – this week it’s been in the 70s and 80s here, and everyone is going on about how beautiful the weather is, and me?? I just want to hide in the dark until we get some rain again. Which could be a very long time.

As if I needed yet another reason to get things together and move up there!

• 2 Emily // Jan 16, 2008 at 8:37 am

I’m really surprised Slate didn’t have http://www.orisinal.com listed in there. The graphics are lovely, the games are super chill and accompanied by nice, calming music… Great for a stressful day at the office, but maybe not so good for people used to high-action games.

• 3 greta // Jan 16, 2008 at 8:46 am

i had never heard of summer SAD either, but it makes sense! my husband and i are always griping about how sunny it is here in san diego, and no one ever seems to understand. it’s just too bright! it’s depressing! (obviously, we are not from here originally.) it’s nice to hear that somewhere there are other people like us. :)

• 4 megan // Jan 16, 2008 at 9:06 am

After living in Cleveland, San Francisco and now here, I have to say I liked the weather in the Midwest the most — I miss hard seasons, they made the year seem so much bigger. Not longer, but more important. Also, I love snow.

Seattle’s long stretches of gloomy weather definitely get to me, but I can recognize it. The too much sun thing in California, particularly Silicon Valley, was just confusing, I kept waiting for a season to happen.

• 5 oregoncoastgirl // Jan 16, 2008 at 1:06 pm

So relieving to know there really IS a summer SAD…

Also, power to the bigheads, we must unite!

• 6 dingbat // Jan 16, 2008 at 1:26 pm

As for hangover cures, it’s not so much a cure as a preventive, but last time I was in Ireland and drinking too many pints and too much wine most nights, I ate beef jerky before going to bed, and had a couple glasses of water. My roommate was a jerky addict, and I became one too when I found that it knocked hangovers out of my vacation almost entirely.

• 7 Kristin // Jan 16, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Ha! That’s my Half.com Ask MeFi question! :)

• 8 megan // Jan 16, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Kristin – awesome

dingbat – thanks!

• 9 Jamie // Jan 16, 2008 at 2:18 pm

Try Diamond Nails on Queen Anne. There are two locations, the OG is across from Taco del Mar & Safeway on 1st Ave West. The second is right up from Pesos on Queen Anne Ave. Ask for Sabrina, she’s the best.

• 10 Abby // Jan 16, 2008 at 2:57 pm

That pillow question is awesome. I think I may try the buckwheat option – they’re pricey, but if they work they’re soooo worth it. Thanks!

• 11 Jenn // Jan 16, 2008 at 7:20 pm

Oohhh, thanks for posting the link to those microwaveable orthotics! I’ve been debating whether to spend $400 on another round of orthotics that might not work (again)… and I’d much rather spend $40!