links: crafts

Tubular cast on without the waste at Fluffbuff

San Francisco fabric stores at Fuzzy Galore

make a sympathy doll at Craftzine

Tutorial – How to use Purse Twist Turn Locks at U-handblog

Golden Compass Hat at Froggie Meanie

Can my sewing machine be fixed? as Ask Metafilter – the answers offer a lot of fix it yourself encouragement

Velvet & hot irons… at Ask Metafilter, oh, dear, I know this pain

Techniques with Theresa: Cabling without a cable needle (second half) at Knitty

Will properly sized TECRE button/mirror parts work on a Badge-a-Minit hand press? at Ask Metafilter. Turns out: no.

Narrow Hemming Foot at The Secret Pocket, I could never get the hang of mine, time to try again

Reminder to self: PBS is showing The Complete Jane Austen starting January 13th, lots of good knitting television.

pretty crepe flower tutorial at Two Straight Lines

Too late for Christmas, or simply very early?:

How to Make a Christmas Tree Pop up Card at Wikihow, very simple and yet dramatic

Christmas tree in a box at Popgadget

· comments [15] · 01-10-2008 · categories:craft · knitting · sewing ·

• 1 Jennie // Jan 10, 2008 at 7:08 am

Oh, I’ve been so excited about all the Jane Austen-ness! It almost makes up for the dearth of new stuff. Too bad D. won’t be in the same room with it (bah) — have to watch strategically.

• 2 Erica // Jan 10, 2008 at 8:30 am

Oh! I second the Jane Austen love. I had heard this was going to be on but couldn’t remember when. I am so excited to see the Persuasion remake. I love that book.

• 3 Kell // Jan 10, 2008 at 8:46 am

I must have that tree. It will be perfect for the apartment. I love that it’s origami, I love that it’s paper. I love it. Thank you for talking about it.

Kelly

• 4 mari // Jan 10, 2008 at 8:58 am

I third the Jane Austen love. I feel it so deeply I designed a now famous cookie in her honor.

• 5 SAWII // Jan 10, 2008 at 9:11 am

My crazy mom bought us the Tree-in-a-Box. At first I thought it would be a waste of space, but loved it in the end. Its really cute. And I was very excited that it came apart easily and I think I’ll be able to use it next year.

• 6 missy // Jan 10, 2008 at 1:41 pm

I can’t wait! I’m setting up the dvr this weekend to record all the Jane Austen series, and posting the schedule on the wall next to my computer! (Now I can take them all off my Netflix list!)

• 7 Teri // Jan 10, 2008 at 2:42 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you for listing the PBS link. I would have totally missed out on Jane Austen and that would have made me sad.

Happy New Year by the way!

• 8 V // Jan 10, 2008 at 7:22 pm

Thank you for the link to the Golden Compass hat! I’d been wanting to make one ever since I saw the movie.

• 9 Kathleen // Jan 12, 2008 at 4:28 pm

Unfortunately, Poppy Fabrics must be crossed off the list of SF Bay Area fabric stores. They closed recently and, as far as I know, didn’t move to a new location.

• 10 Laura // Jan 12, 2008 at 10:30 pm

Sadly, Poppy Fabrics has closed, but Piedmont Fabrics (Piedmont Ave in Oakland) has just opened. Not to be missed is Silk Road on E 14th, right off Broadway in Oakland.

• 11 barenakehd // Jan 13, 2008 at 9:16 am

So glad to see you back! I was so nervous when the site was down…

• 12 When I grow up, I want to be Not Martha. | // Jan 15, 2008 at 11:49 am

[...] While surfing around Not Martha this morning(Seriously I heart Not Martha.  She is so beyond words cool).  She’s like what Alton Brown is if he decicded to be into more general domestics.  She’s off the page, out of the book kind of creativity. [...]

• 13 Daphne // Jan 15, 2008 at 3:38 pm

Megan — we have a new blog up for Jane!

It’s small now but there are bits and pieces hiding that we’ll post throughout the series.

(now I’d better get back to the boring part of my job so I can work on the site later)

• 14 Courtney // Jan 19, 2008 at 4:44 pm

Thanks for the link Megan. I could see I was getting hits from you, but was having a hard time finding it.

• 15 ei! kumpel // Jan 21, 2008 at 2:07 pm

the Christmas Tree Pop up Card is amazing! great links!