Last time I wrote about the sweater I had ripped out the neck, detachted the sleeves and unravelled the body down below the armhole shaping, all so I could add a bit of length to the body and not undo my carefully mapped out 3×1, 2×2, 3×1, 2×2, 3×1 ribbing tubular (aka. grafted, invisible, sewn, kitchener) cast on. Since then I’ve made slow progress which can be squarely blamed on a little holiday detour into the land of Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance. Turns out two-player cooperative games are wicked fun, and as I was researching which to buy I found a lot of stories about relationships that started playing this game together and are still going strong, awww.
Anyhow, I’ve added length, redid all the armhole shaping, reconnected the sleeves and knit the collar again. Undoing all the work was worth it because I also got to fix a few errors, including seaming the sleeves using embroidery thread which I bought ages ago and forgot I had the first time around (see above). It takes away just a bit of the bulk in the seams, and I found it easier to use since the yarn would untwist horribly about half way through the seaming.
I took pictures of my as-of-yet unstretched tubular (aka. grafted, invisible, sewn, kitchener) bind off for the top of the collar, it looks wonky, especially on the right side, but once it’s stretched it’ll settle into something far more normal looking. This is a cotton/acrylic yarn, I’m almost certain this bind off in a nice springy wool would look better and stay stretchier. That said, I’m still desperately in love with this technique.
– attach i-cord along center fronts
– weave in ends
– wash and shrink
– dye twill tape orange to match ziper
– insert zipper
Looks like a very short list but it will likely take me until April to complete.