Merry Chex Mix

This is my recipe for making the most boring looking Chex Mix possible:

1. Instead of Wheat Chex buy a second box of Rice Chex since somebody always eats around the Wheat, leaving you with Chex dregs.

2. Forgo the peanuts, they always get lost in the bottom.

3. Fail to find anything approximating a bagel chip in the store.

4. Buy those neat waffle-or-chex shaped pretzels, but discover only after you’ve gotten home that they are flavored with something calling itself “buttery” but tastes just plain horrible.

5. Fail to have the energy to make another grocery store visit, make Chex Mix anyhow.

Happy Holidays!

· comments [28] · 12-23-2007 · categories:mumbling ·

• 1 Shari // Dec 23, 2007 at 3:50 pm

We make identical-looking Chex Mix! (And as the source of Chex dregs in my house, I just make it the way I like it. Yum!)

I do turn up the heat a bit by making a spicy variation on the recipe, with less Worcestershire and no onion salt, but adding 2 1/2 t of Cholula Hot Sauce. The boring appearance belies the subtle heat.

• 2 Cody // Dec 23, 2007 at 4:45 pm

Looks like mine, but I usually dumped an entire bag of Goldfish in as well.

I don’t see the point in putting in things I’ll just pick around, anyway.

• 3 Christy // Dec 23, 2007 at 5:01 pm

Yep, I make Chex Mix without wheat, too. I usually double the Worcestershire, but I will have to try Shari’s hot sauce variety. And whoever thought of putting cheerios in Chex Mix deserves a special place in hell.

• 4 Andrea // Dec 23, 2007 at 7:09 pm

Personally, I like the wheat Chex the best, myself. I could do without the corn. Like many others, I make them the way I like them. Lots of hot sauce, and sometimes I add toffee coated nuts just to add some sweet to go with the hot and salty. It sort of depends what I’ve got around (i.e. trying to get rid of).

• 5 holly // Dec 23, 2007 at 7:40 pm

well you could always make “dog chow” with it instead, i believe all that takes is some chocolate chips and butter and powdered sugar….no extra trip to the grocers needed!
    merry christmas and thanks for the continuing stream of inspiring tips.

• 6 Jen // Dec 23, 2007 at 7:54 pm

It’s WASP Mix!

• 7 Elizabeth K // Dec 23, 2007 at 8:20 pm

I actually like the wheat chex better than the rice!

• 8 princess lasertron // Dec 23, 2007 at 10:14 pm

I love it. my favorite kinds all in the same bowl.

I HATE WHEAT CHEX.

• 9 Michelle // Dec 23, 2007 at 10:42 pm

I’m sure it still tastes delicious. And who looks down while their hand is in a bowl of snacks, anyhow? :0) Happy holidays!

• 10 jackie // Dec 24, 2007 at 7:31 am

“Texas Trash” is a bit of work but so yummy and great as a gift in a tin can. 1 stick butter, 1 c. bacon drippings (greese) 2 T. worchershire sauce, 2 T.tabasco sauce,2T. garlic granulated, 1T. seasoned meat tenderizers ( which i didnt realize was in there i suppose you could cut that seems icky!) put all ingredents in sauce pan simmer 10 min. pour over wheat chex, rice chex, cherrios -they hold the gooie mixture well- nuts, gold fish, crispiz. we buy them from sams and make huge batches in roasting throw away pans. bake 250* 1 hour stiring 4 times. it makes the best spicy heart attack snack you cannot stop munching on. we each get some for the holidays. i know its more work than just poring out some ceral in a bowl but i promise it is totally worth it. prehaps i just grew up on it and love it! try it for thanksgiving too. we also omited pretzels because they dont hold any of the spicy sauce…the sauce should look dark brown and some what like tar or something burnt looking on the mix once it is complete. enjoy!

• 11 ex.libris // Dec 24, 2007 at 11:21 am

Happy Holidays!

• 12 Manda // Dec 24, 2007 at 12:30 pm

I haven’t done that yet – I get lazy and just make it with Crispix. Then you at least get the fun little shapes. :)

• 13 Justin // Dec 24, 2007 at 3:43 pm

So.. it’s just chex then? ;) This is a really handy chex mix as if you add milk, it can double as breakfast ;) Happy Holidays!

• 14 jerylin // Dec 24, 2007 at 4:28 pm

have you ever tried asian chex mix? i’ve seen it called “arare” and it is oh so yummy.

• 15 Jamie // Dec 25, 2007 at 3:10 am

This is my favorite way to have Chex mix anyway… purely chex! Love it, inspired me to make some in the morning!

• 16 Rebekah // Dec 25, 2007 at 2:06 pm

i love that you left out the wheat chex. we can’t ever get away with that, because i know several people who actually prefer the wheat ones. i like the cheerios in there because they really sop up all of the sauce and bake up nice and salty. instead of peanuts, we use mixed nuts like brazils and hazelnuts and almonds.

• 17 Missy // Dec 25, 2007 at 8:59 pm

Ha! That’s what we call Chex Mix, the good parts version around my house.

• 18 Lori // Dec 26, 2007 at 8:13 am

The wheat chex are my favorite part. Send me the ones you don’t eat!

• 19 Ellen // Dec 26, 2007 at 11:56 am

Next year make it even more festive with Crispy Hexagons!
    Check out the flickr adoration here:

Happy Holidays!

• 20 nbm // Dec 28, 2007 at 10:04 am

I don’t know what the story is on Crispy Hexagons but Iove that there’s a photo of granite pavers mixed in with the cereal shots.

• 21 Michelle B // Dec 28, 2007 at 11:28 am

Congrats on making a Chex Mix that I might actually eat – yum!

Did you know that they sell “butter” flavored extract at the QFC next to the vanilla and peppermint? Gross.

• 22 Melanie at beanpaste // Dec 28, 2007 at 6:16 pm

If you’re interested (I know Chex Mix is a deeply personal thing), I blogged my family’s Hawaiian Furikake Chex Mix last week: http://beanpaste.blogspot.com/2007/12/furikake-snack-mix-youve-been-warned.html

It is sweet, it is salty, it is umami. It will make you sick as a dog, but you’ll love every minute.

• 23 Debbie // Dec 29, 2007 at 8:18 pm

Too funny! I made it this year and I got so many people who were impressed by the fact that I didn’t open a bag of it. I wasn’t very impressed as I have been in the past.
    Debbie aka The Real World Martha (S)

• 24 Elise // Dec 29, 2007 at 9:28 pm

I am LOLing at “Crispy Hexagons”. Thanks Ellen!

• 25 Ad Nauseam // Dec 30, 2007 at 2:15 pm

the wheats are my favorite! great recipe!

• 26 donner // Jan 3, 2008 at 11:45 am

My favorite is one from Roseanne Barr and her stand up routine (how old is that!) – “My chex trail mix is a bag of plain M&M’s, a bag of Hershey’s kisses and a bag of peanut M&M’s”…

• 27 jenagain // Jan 4, 2008 at 12:51 pm

At some point in the 80′s Chex had a deal where if you sent in 100 box tops (or something ridiculous like that) they would send you a round-trip airline ticket for anywhere in the continental US. To avoid our annual summer torture of driving a station wagon across country to visit the grandparents, our family ate enough Chex to get 5 tickets. A LOT OF CHEX.

It took years, but I can finally eat chex again. And I actually like the wheat ones, too.

• 28 Kelly // Jan 4, 2008 at 7:37 pm

This is hilarious, but honestly – that’s all anyone eats anyway, right? Yeah, pretzels are good too, but really – it’s all about the rice Chex. ;)