links: food

lasagna for two at Hogwash

Tender, Delicious Roast Beast at SundryBuzz

Winter Wonderland Cupcakes with Fluffy Marshmallow Frosting at A Grrls Wrrld

Questions for Kimball: Ideas for Homemade Holiday Gifts? at The Kitchn

Muhammara at Chocolate & Zucchini

Sugarplums at Miss Ginsu

I’m looking for a recipe for Vegan Rice Krispy treats at Ask Metafilter.

Mail order nut source, at Ask Metafilter.

Popcorn Chickpeas at Serious Eats.

Roasted Ceci Nuts, “Note: Dried chick-peas that have been soaked and cooked seem better suited to roasting than canned chick-peas because they have absorbed less liquid and are firmer. They become drier and crisper during roasting.”

Homemade crunchy snacks at Ask Metafilter.

What do I absolutely HAVE to buy at Trader Joe’s? at Ask Metafilter.

cookies at MarthaStewart.com, the icebox variety are good for swaps:

Making Holiday Cookies

Holiday Cookie Glossary

Holiday Cookie Gallery

Icebox Shortbread

Holiday Icebox Cookies

Icebox Butter Cookies

Earl Grey Tea Cookies

Lime Meltaways

Cornmeal Cherry Cookies (I use lemon zest instead)

Striped Icebox Cookies

at Chow:

Pot Roast with Porcini and Beer

Snickles

Fried Chickpeas with Sage

Crisp Chocolate Chip Cookies

Easy Weeknight Dinner

The Coveted Coffee Press

· comments [9] · 12-12-2007 · categories:food · recipes ·

• 1 aspen // Dec 12, 2007 at 6:00 am

Thanks for the Trader Joe’s link – a new one opened not far from where I work. I’ve never been to one before, so it’s nice to know what to look for. The new sweater looks fab, btw!

• 2 Carrie // Dec 12, 2007 at 6:33 am

Out of curiousity, what Christmas cookies are you thinking of making this year? I’ve made some of the Martha ones before, like the lime meltaways and the icebox shortbread, but I don’t know if I want to make those again this year. Anything you’ve found is a must bake? I’m looking for inspiration!

• 3 growler // Dec 12, 2007 at 8:41 am

I just made a batch of those Earl Grey cookies yesterday! They are really good. Subtle, refined flavor.

I also made her cashew caramel cookies. Quite chewy. Tastes like what an oatmeal cookie would taste like if it were any good.

• 4 megan // Dec 12, 2007 at 9:37 am

Carrie – This year I made Icebox Shortbread with lemon zest and poppies seeds coating the outside. In previous years I’ve made the Cornmeal Cherry Cookies, I really like those. I don’t have any must bakes, however, because I usually made cookies for a large annual swap and I focus on the ones that will be less time consuming to make.

• 5 Paola // Dec 12, 2007 at 1:54 pm

not mentioned in the crunchy snack list, but equally delicious: kale chips. wash and dry the kale leaves (curly purple kale tastes the sweetest to me), keep only the leafy part and chop it in pieces, spray with olive oil, add salt (some times I add flax meal and wheat germ if I feel healthy), and bake for 5-7 minutes in a 350 oven, turning once. yum!

• 6 nazilam // Dec 12, 2007 at 2:23 pm

I made the lemon poppy seed shortbread for a cookie exchange today.Yum.

Thanks.

I incorporated the poppy seeds because I’m lazy, they were pretty darn tasty.

I’m working on my rolling technique, i’m still very square.

nm

• 7 Kate // Dec 12, 2007 at 8:10 pm

I’ve made that pot roast with porcini and beer twice now – it is fantastic. Perfect dutch oven cooking! (In fact, I have some reheating on the stove right now. [Another benefit: this is one of those dishes that taste even better as leftovers.])
    I recommend polenta to sop up all of the beery-oniony-mushroomy-umami juices.

• 8 Kristi // Dec 18, 2007 at 1:39 pm

You must get the chocolate croissants at Trader Joes! They are in the frozen section and they are divine. I grabbed three boxes for Christmas morning.
    You let them sit overnight so they can rise and then pop them in the oven in the morning.

• 9 Pet Project: Cupcake Kindness // Apr 5, 2014 at 5:57 am

[...] as Ottawa’s Cupcake Queen, and my cupcakes had already been featured on The Cupcake Blog and Not Martha, so using social media to spread Cupcake Kindness was a natural move. But I can’t just bake the [...]