links: craft

advent calendars at Tip Junkie

LJC made her own advent calendar!

How to make a recycled paper advent calendar at One Hour Craft

Jennie’s very cool advent calendar made from decorated candy tins, so nice looking!

advent calendar of paper boxes, at Oh Happy Day

knit or crochet? at Ask Metafilter

Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories makes a spool spinner from an old fan. This is perfect! I ended up with a similar huge spool of thread after ordering it from a rather confusing online catalog, I thought I was getting several small spools. Right now it’s acting as an oversized prop in my sewing room.

moder paper ornaments at Design Sponge’s DIY Wednesdays

charming button wreath and fabric tree at Craftapalooza

· comments [9] · 12-5-2007 · categories:craft ·

• 1 Lindsay // Dec 5, 2007 at 6:28 am

ali edwards has a great advent calendar idea too (from MSKids):

• 2 Me // Dec 5, 2007 at 6:32 am

I miss Leslie’s Advent :-(

• 3 Crafty Gal // Dec 5, 2007 at 1:01 pm

Wow, thanks for all the great links. I have seen some of these myself.

• 4 vespabelle // Dec 5, 2007 at 2:23 pm

I made my own advent calendar this year: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vespabelle/2074147025/

• 5 Cakespy // Dec 5, 2007 at 9:20 pm

Oh, I love those paper ornaments. They’re nostalgic, but much better than the ones I made when I was little of course. :-)

• 6 allison // Dec 5, 2007 at 9:39 pm

what kind of great goodies do you all put in your advent calendars? I’m looking for non-candy ideas… any suggestions?

• 7 Janie // Dec 6, 2007 at 8:12 am

The thread stands for industrial cones of thread have a metal finger that directs the thread to be taken off the spool from the top to unwind rather than have the whole spool spin. This is done because of the weight of the spool being turned to unwind on the spool affects the tension of the thread.

• 8 Nicole // Dec 6, 2007 at 6:16 pm

Hey, hey! Thanks so much for the mention.

• 9 Lenore // Dec 7, 2007 at 11:17 am

@Janie – it’s about the same effort (and thus tension) to pull the thread from the top as to turn the spool on the super smooth bearings in the fan. Both solutions have merit, but bearings are expensive, so the cheap solution (metal hook) wins on the industrial scale. For an individual, a surplus or used computer fan is almost certainly cheaper than an industrial spool stand.