up to

seeking:
a good under eye concealer
I’m wondering about Laura Mercier’s Secret Camouflage, maybe Benefit’s Boi-ing. I know I know, nobody has found the perfect under eye concealer yet but that can’t stop a girl from trying.

needing:
kitchen scale
I want to use it for baking as well as buying postage online and avoiding those inevitable Post Offices lines (and broken automatic postal machines).

seriously considering:
Hairdo extension
One of the reasons I’m upset about my recent way-too-short haircut is that I have a fancy dress event to attend in January and I was really looking forward to being able to do something with my hair. So, yeah, I’m seriously considering buying some fake hair for the night. And yeah, it’s Jessica Simpson-approved fake hair. So, yeah.

trying:
Bumble & Bumble Curl Conscious
As long as I’m growing out my hair I might as well play with it. Bumble & Bumble’s Curl Conscious has been recommended by a few people, and I’m starting with the travel sized set for loose waves.

researching:
quinoa
Did you know it’s pronounced keen-wah? Did you know it’s a very old grain, it’s full of protein and it’s really really good for you? Quinoa keeps coming across my radar and I give, I’ll learn how to cook it already.

· comments [74] · 11-12-2007 · categories:up to ·

• 1 betz // Nov 12, 2007 at 6:13 am

A friend highly recommendeds the concealor set from Sonya Kashik at Target.

• 2 Sacha Brady // Nov 12, 2007 at 6:54 am

Have you done your scale research? I’m a chemist, a kitchen scale user, and an Alton Brown fan (the nerdiest of kitchen wonders), so I am interested in a discussion about scales. :-) Let me know if you’re interested in debating the pros & cons of a new scale. Or, if you’ve already duked it out, tell me the verdict so I can steal it!

• 3 Julie // Nov 12, 2007 at 7:01 am

Laura Mercier’s concealer is by far my favorite. It’s blendable, it’s a little on the dry side (so be sure to have eye cream on underneath) and works well on zits, too (shh!). LM also makes a “Secret Concealer” which is SUPPOSED to be the undereye concealer (as it’s more emollient) but the Secret Camo works much better. I’ve been using it for at least six years.

• 4 Heather // Nov 12, 2007 at 7:16 am

I actually researched quinoa in college while studying molecular biology. I know way more about it than you would ever want to know! LOL! I actually would grind it up and extract mitochondrial RNA out of it, but I have no idea how to actually cook it! :) I know you can make bread from it and eat it like oatmeal. You can also pop it and eat it like popcorn. It has a nutty flavor- good on top of ice cream. It’s a great substitute for anyone who can’t eat wheat.

• 5 Shannon // Nov 12, 2007 at 7:19 am

You state that quinoa isn’t pronounced keen-wah, but everywhere I have looked, even the dictionary website, that is shown as the correct pronunciation. Can you share what you believe is the correct way and where you found it out? thanks!

I am always scared I am saying a word wrong, that is why I never say Nietzsche out loud.

• 6 Miss Sassy // Nov 12, 2007 at 7:31 am

Hi Megan,

When I want to look good (yes, I am too lazy some days to bother with too much makeup), I use Clinique’s All About Eyes Concealer:

I bought it on the recommendation from In Style or some magazine and I think it works great. You can always hit the mall and give it a try.Or, if you don’t like it, you can return it even after using it.

I have a a Royal Consumer Business Products scale that I use for postage and baking. I really love it and bought it at Office Depot many years ago. I worry that it will quit working without warning someday and had found a seller of scales on eBay that I was going to buy from one but haven’t yet.

Quinoa Corporation (http://www.quinoa.net) states that it is pronounced keen-wa. My brother made this for me a few visits ago and it was delicious! i have not made it myself so I am anxious to read how to make it. When my brother made it, it tasted very nutty. I’m sure he added butter as he adds it to everything…

• 7 ann // Nov 12, 2007 at 7:37 am

I have both the Secret Camouflage and the Secret Concealer. Unlike what Julie said, I have had much better luck with the concealer. I have really dry skin, and by the end of the day, the camouflage would be flaking off. I don’t have the same issue with the concealer- it’s more moisturizing. With either one though – make sure you get a good concealer brush. It really does make a difference.

• 8 Ethermaiden // Nov 12, 2007 at 7:40 am

As a professional makeup artrist I can offer this for you regarding your concealer query. For my own personal use, and on many clients, I find that applying a good layerable foundation is usually sufficient, applying two light layers in the eye area if needed. For myself I prefer Make Up For Ever’s face and body foundation (this comes in MANY more shades than sephora carries, call the company for their catalog). I’m also a fan of Nixie cosmetics cream foundations and correctors, and Stila’s Illuminating concealer. With any concealer, you want to work in the tiniest tiniest amount over your foundation, and do very thin layers.This is something where less is more is very true- sure, we don’t like dark circles but often caked on concealer brings more attention to the area and creates even more of a tired and aged appearance.

• 9 Heather // Nov 12, 2007 at 7:48 am

If it ain’t pronounced “keen-wa,” how the heck IS it pronounced?

Also, a hunnert dollars is a lot of dollars for fake hair. WHOA. Could be fun, though, and after watching the videos on the site I’m strangely drawn to it. IT IS AS EASY AS 1-2-3 MEGAN. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT.

• 10 SAWII // Nov 12, 2007 at 7:59 am

I believe the perfect under eye concealer is Bobbi Brown’s Creamy Concealer Kit. Worth the $$$.
    Lucia did her scale research and recommends the Escali Primo Digital Scale. Available in all sorts of colors on Amazon or plain white at Target.

• 11 Andrea // Nov 12, 2007 at 8:09 am

Quinoa is quite yummy. I recently started using it myself. It cooks up just like rice, 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water or stock. Bulgur and Barley make for unexpected yummy sides too.

• 12 Jade // Nov 12, 2007 at 8:12 am

I worked in highland Peru for several summers, and I ate a lot of quinoa. I’m pretty sure it IS pronounced keen-wa (or, more properly, keen-ew-uh, but that middle sound kind of gets ellided together). At least that’s the only way I ever heard it said. It’s great stuff, though–a really wonderful substitute for most situations where you’d serve rice.

I second the recommendation for Bobbi Brown concealer, too. It’s even better than quinoa.

• 13 Alison // Nov 12, 2007 at 8:21 am

I’m not a big makeup wearer, so I can’t compare this to anything you’ve mentioned, but I love Pixi Undercover concealer. I find it very easy to use and it does a great job.

I got it at Sephora but it doesn’t seem to be available online right now. You can take a peek here http://www.pixibeauty.com/ — pick “base” and then scroll down.

• 14 amy // Nov 12, 2007 at 8:57 am

I use Laura Mercier and I LOVE it. I’m not sure what it’s called, but it’s a compact with a thin, creamy concealer on one side, and a stiffer, thick concealer on the other. Good for covering your whole head.

• 15 Megan // Nov 12, 2007 at 9:04 am

I discovered quinoa when I went to a Peruvian restaurant here in Portland. Then I saw a contestant on Top Chef make it a short while later. This is a great recipe for quinoa pilaf with curried sweet potatoes. Both are excellent and very easy (I use less sage than is called for in the pilaf, otherwise, it’s great!) Also, FYI, she made this in an episode where the goal was to make something that could be easily microwaved the next day and still taste good. So not only is it easy, it’s storable.

• 16 Emily // Nov 12, 2007 at 9:08 am

Quinoa is wonderful. For those who do and those who don’t eat meat, are vegans, gluten avoiders…everyone! For folks who can never get enough food/fuel with active lives, it fills, satisfies and is truly useful fuel for the body. Be sure to rinse it for a few seconds (10?), then cook like rice and enjoy with a bit of salt and butter, alone, with nuts, etc. Yum. I don’t wear make up, and am completely unconcerned if my hair gets cut too short, so I’m no help with the other topics! :-)

• 17 MomVee // Nov 12, 2007 at 9:11 am

I am a new quinoa convert and I highly recommend this recipe:

• 18 megan // Nov 12, 2007 at 9:17 am

Sacha – I looked at Alton Brown and Cook’s Illustrated. I think they both liked Soehnle scales, CI in particular liked the Soehnle 65055 as of Feb. 2007. But the ones I looked at that matched the recommendations were (forgive me) ugly, and more importantly bulky. There is this one that I didn’t see before though. The Salter looked pretty good and the brand got pretty good reviews. Honestly, I’ll take myself out to a kitchen store and play around with bowls and large bubble envelopes to see if I might run into any problems with a specific model.

• 19 megan // Nov 12, 2007 at 9:18 am

Ok everyone, I fixed my mis-typed sentence about the pronunciation of quinoa. I apologize for any confusion it caused.

• 20 megan // Nov 12, 2007 at 9:21 am

SAWII – Thanks for the scale recommendation! Oh swoon, it comes in orange.

• 21 megan // Nov 12, 2007 at 9:24 am

Thanks to everybody for the concealer recommendations. I have to get my tired looking self to the makeup section of a department store.

• 22 Kate // Nov 12, 2007 at 9:41 am

I have that scale and it is awesome. It converts from lbs to grams too so you can make all the Euro recipes you want!

• 23 Mary-Lynn // Nov 12, 2007 at 9:45 am

Everyone’s talking about concealer and quinoa but no one’s addressing the hair extensions, so I will. I was recently at a wedding and for the rehersal dinner my sister-in-law wore hair extensions (her hair is normally about chin length – the extensions were down past her shoulders). Since I don’t see her often I looked at her a few times and then finally said “Your hair is…” and she replies “Fake!” (I was going to say “longer”). Anyway, it looked really good so I would definitely experiment with them. In her case she’s one of those girls who can do her own fancy updo, etc so I’m sure she practices but the effect was really great.

• 24 Heather // Nov 12, 2007 at 9:47 am

This is how we pronounced quinoa while doing research–”kee’-no-wa”. But then our labs were in a basement, we rarely saw the sun, and we smelled formaldehyde all day because of the cadavers on the floor above us, so what did we know?

• 25 Beth Rainey // Nov 12, 2007 at 10:01 am

quinoa is quite good doing nothing more than rehydrating it with vegetable broth. (i tried this with the red variety recently).

• 26 selenium // Nov 12, 2007 at 10:02 am

quinoa is great! i love it. sprinkle liberally with dill!

also, my sister swears by cle de pau’s concealer, and i snuck a teeny bit from her as it is $95 a tube. but i have never felt anything as creamy and amazing as this stuff. it really is stunning-both in price and effectiveness. http://www.cledepeau-beaute.com/html/base_make/make_item_bm07.htm

• 27 Rachel // Nov 12, 2007 at 10:03 am

Check out this scale.

My husband got it for me for my birthday after I was tearing out my hair researching scales.

I wanted something I could use for baking, postage and weighting yarn for dividing into equal balls .

This weighs up to 11 lbs, accurate to 1 gram and will weigh in lb oz, oz or g.

can you tell I have been very happy with it. It is also small so it can be stored easily in my limited storage kitchen. I leave it in its foam insert when not in use.

• 28 carriegood // Nov 12, 2007 at 10:08 am

we love quinoa here – did you know it’s really technically a fruit? anyway, it’s a great source of protein.

i find it kind of bland, so while mine is cooking, i saute some garlic, diced tomatoes, and asparagus, season with kosher salt, black and cayenne pepper and a generous amount of white prepared horseradish, and throw it onto the finished quinoa. dee-lish.

• 29 Elise // Nov 12, 2007 at 10:17 am

I have been using the Bo-ing concealer and it seems like it gets dry and cakey by the end of the day. I prefer smashbox’s cream concealer (comes in a tube stick, like lipstick). But it’s not perfect, so I’ll check out Laura Mercier. I’ve also read good things about Trish Mcevoy’s concealer, but haven’t tried it yet.

And quinoa is very easy to cook, just wash it and boil it.

• 30 Dorre // Nov 12, 2007 at 10:24 am

the boiing is awesome!! I have deep under eye shadows/ bags the combo of that and good eyecream (Kiehls) is fab!!

• 31 vespabelle // Nov 12, 2007 at 10:37 am

If you’re making quinoa in your rice cooker, use less water than you would with rice. I keep forgetting this and end up with mushy quinoa.

• 32 Nia // Nov 12, 2007 at 10:38 am

Try the LM Undercover — its half secret concealer, half camoflage. Incredibly useful. You should also consider Bobbi Brown — depending on how much coverge you need you might really like the corrector or the eye brightener.

The B&B Curl Creme is GENIUS, I just love it, it takes some getting used to you have to experiment with it to get the best curls. It works best if you use a lighter (rinse out) conditioner and then layer over B&B tonic. Also wonderful is the Aveda curl line, esp the shampoo and conditioner.

• 33 Rachel // Nov 12, 2007 at 10:41 am

Yeah, quinoa is a pretty cool grain. I made it once and my husband said it was like eating small fish eyeballs, we only had it once.

• 34 Alison // Nov 12, 2007 at 10:43 am

I am very, very fair — too fair for most concealers — and use Origins Quick, Hide! for my dark undereye circles. A little goes a looong way, it blends well, and it lasts. Moreover, it’s not too expensive and I can buy “Lightest.” I have oily-ish skin so YMMV. A good concealer changes lives!

• 35 Jules // Nov 12, 2007 at 10:50 am

I think the Prescriptives custom blend concealer is as good as they come–they blend it specifically to your skin tone, and it covers my 100-hour work week black eyes perfectly. http://www.prescriptives.com/custom/custom_blend_concealer.tmpl

only downside–it’s spendy.

• 36 splatgirl // Nov 12, 2007 at 11:39 am

Just chiming in to say that there is not a single dark eye circle or blemish in my being that is worth $95 a tube! holycrap.
    and…
    I think you should let us see the haircut before you decide about the extensions. I bet your readers would have tons of great styling ideas, too short or no.
    I think a lot of times a haircuts’ owner is needlessly hypersensitive about it being ‘wrong’ in some way when in reality it looks fabulous.
    Maybe you just need to embrace the new/different? Until it grows, at least :)
    …not that I would know anything about being hypersensitive about a haircut

• 37 ljc // Nov 12, 2007 at 11:46 am

I use the super cheap and basic Physicians Formula Yellow Gentle Cover Concealer Stick. It’s seems almost too simple! http://www.physiciansformula.com/ProductDetail/face/concealers/00673.html

• 38 megan // Nov 12, 2007 at 11:50 am

Splatgirl – The haircut doesn’t look bad, but it’s about three inches shorter than I ever wanted it to be again. I mean, I went back to the same stylist for a trim, I brought pictures of me with the haircut she gave me, and she hacked off four inches. It’s going to take a little while for me to stop being angry about it, especially because I had been liking my hair for the first time in years. I know, whaa whaa whaa.

• 39 ara jane // Nov 12, 2007 at 11:50 am

i have that same salter scale and i love it. i use it all the time and it has pretty nearly changed my life. i think the spare design is terrific, and i suppose it seems accurate (though i haven’t tested it against other scales). highly recommended!

• 40 Jill // Nov 12, 2007 at 12:08 pm

I highly recommend the Sunlight concealer from http://www.everydayminerals.com . I have some serious undereye darkness inherited from my Mom, and this stuff works wonders as a light powder coat over a thin layer of foundation. As a bonus, they’ll send you FREE samples, and I’m still working on the sample container they sent me months ago.

• 41 Jill // Nov 12, 2007 at 12:08 pm

By the way, love your blog. It’s on my daily read list.

• 42 victoria // Nov 12, 2007 at 12:16 pm

i´ve tried them all and in my opinion theres nothing that match “light fantastic-cellular concealing-brightening eye treatment” from La Praire. It´s absolutely fantastic, expensive, but worth every penny!

• 43 Sacha Brady // Nov 12, 2007 at 12:16 pm

I got this scale http://www.amazon.com/Salter-Bakers-Dream-Aquatronic-Kitchen/dp/B00007KMN7/ref=pd_sbs_k as a gift some years ago and, although it’s been good enough, I’d like something better. I never weigh liquids so I couldn’t care less about that feature.

Megan, thanks for the info! I checked out the scales you mentioned and eventually added the Escali Primo digital multifunctional scale to my Amazon.com wish list…which turned out to be the one I saw in Rachel’s comment later. :-)

Rachel, have you had any problems reading the display with a large bowl on the scale? That’s one of my difficulties with the Salter that I have now — many times the weighing vessel blocks the reading.

Yay for scale talk!

• 44 allison // Nov 12, 2007 at 12:34 pm

My favorite way to have quinoa is seasoned with chili oil (that little bottle of spicy, reddish sesame oil) and garlic flavored gomasio (sesame salt). It’s easy, zesty, and asiany all at once. Chili oil’s at Safeway, QFC, etc. Gomasio is at PCC, Whole Foods, et al. Both probably at Uwajamaya.

Whenever we have quinoa my husband always says that we’re eating flying saucers, what with the little spiral around quinoa’s midsection that looks like a UFO and all.

• 45 Marsha // Nov 12, 2007 at 1:04 pm

If you have an automatic rice cooker, preparing quinoa is a snap! Just rinse the quinoa, put it in the cooking pot with the recommended amount of water, and then cook it on the “white rice” setting. Easy peasy!

• 46 Valerie // Nov 12, 2007 at 1:39 pm

Most quinoa doesn’t have to be rinsed now…pre-rinsed (be sure to read the label on the box). I like the red for the color it brings to various dishes. And it does look like fisheyes or flying saucers! Hmmm, I’ve got a recipe somewhere for quinoa with apples and dried cherries and yogurt (I used soy yogurt since I’m a vegetarian), like a fruit salad, only protein-er. Yum-oh.

• 47 Katie // Nov 12, 2007 at 1:46 pm

Confession: I liked the hair on that Jessica Simpson wig so much that I brought the picture into the salon.

• 48 also abby // Nov 12, 2007 at 1:49 pm

i use boi-oing (or however the crap you actually spell that), and while i like it (as in i didn’t DISlike it enough to return it), once it’s gone i’m going to keep searching for something better.
    the one main problem i have with it is that it creases. like it settles into the little lines underneath your eyes and gives you bright white striations. not cute.
    but it does cover well and the shade i have matches my skin perfectly, so it’s still pretty good. i just have to remember to run a finger under my eyes every hour or so to re-blend.
    i have friend who absolutely swear by some laura mercier concealer. i think it’s called secret weapon? anyways, they LOVE it.

• 49 Anna // Nov 12, 2007 at 1:50 pm

I’ve tried the Benefit concealer. Hated it, gave it away.

My favorite undereye concealer is Fresh Absolute Concealer. Expensive, but you only need a tiny bit, so it lasts forever.

• 50 Sue // Nov 12, 2007 at 3:35 pm

I would suggest looking into Bare Escentuals mineral makeup.

I travel a lot and have lately taken on this lovely haggard look. I recently bought the starter kit and the Multi-Tasking Face (which is what I use under my eyes) and for the next week people kept telling me how great and rested I looked. I highly recommend it for the ego boost alone.

• 51 Sara // Nov 12, 2007 at 3:43 pm

I’ve tried some of the more expensive concealers, but I keep coming back to Revlon Anti-Aging with Botafirm (sounds made up). I find it even better than the MAC stuff everyone seems to swear by. Not a lot of colour selection, but hell, it’s drugstore brand, so you can afford to buy a couple and blend.

• 52 Shannon // Nov 12, 2007 at 4:13 pm

My sister is a stylist and has customized (and worn herself) the Jessica Simpson hair do extensions. They look great (they color them to match your hair) and not fake at all, and they clip in really easily.

Also–yes, boi-ing comes in good colors but creases and makes you look like a Cougar. Not cool.

I have the dark circles of the century and the very best thing I have found is not a concealer at all–it’s Bare Escentials foundation. It’s a powder with amazing coverage, so it’s your foundation, powder, and yes, concealer. I laughed at the salesgirl when she told me the coverage was good enough for my dark circles.

I was wrong, she was right.

• 53 kelley // Nov 12, 2007 at 5:51 pm

quinoa that hasn’t been rinsed has a bitter, soapy substance called saponin covering it.

even if most brands are sold pretty clean, rinsing’s not a bad practice. if you’re cooking it and it starts to bubble up (more than normal boiling/simmering), it’s not going to taste good.

• 54 anna // Nov 13, 2007 at 1:54 am

Secret Camoflage by itself is very high pigment and quite dry. I use it mixed with a teeeeny spot of Eve Lom TLC cream (her eye cream). The TLC works wonders on hydrating the area and reducing bags and shadows, and I find that the two together give an absolutely flawless finish that lasts all day.

• 55 liz // Nov 13, 2007 at 4:54 am

I find the Laura Mercier concealer products to be too dry for easy application. The best one I have found is a concealer in a lipstick tube sold by Chanel (no clue as to what it’s called as mine is a couple of years old). The best way to apply it is to use a brush. It’s reasonably creamy with good coverage.

• 56 lisa // Nov 13, 2007 at 5:06 am

i’ve used clinique’s city stick for years and have always sworn by it. it goes on smooth and makes me look bright and restful!

• 57 Amanda // Nov 13, 2007 at 6:27 am

I bought one of those hair pieces for my June wedding to make my poor baby thin hair look longer for pictures and I LOVED it! It was really easy to use and matched my hair perfectly. I think you can buy it online cheaper than in salons, but you might want to “shop” a salon and see what color will match best…you know colors on the computer screen aren’t always perfect. I have pictures of my hair in if you’re interested in seeing them. No one even noticed it wasn’t MINE! (BTW: I picked the synthetic hair because it was cheaper and matched my hair color perfectly, the real hair is more expensive but can be dyed and styled.)

• 58 robin // Nov 13, 2007 at 7:10 am

I have been using Prescriptives’ Camouflage Cream for a little over a year now and I will never use anything else. In fact, the one tube has lasted me this long, and I use it nearly every day. I bought it for my wedding and since have had a baby. I’ve never needed the under eye concealment more in my life. This stuff is just the best.

I also cannot say enough good things about the Curl Conscious Cream. Another item I bought to use in my wedding that I’m still using daily. I’ve gone through a bottle and a half in a little over a year. Well worth the cost, in my opinion!

• 59 Bessie // Nov 13, 2007 at 7:58 am

We had a presenter came to our company and talked about the environment the other day (She was from NYC Earth day), and ever since then, I have decided to buy and use everything organic (whenever possible). This includes organic makeup, lotion, fruits, meat, etc… Would you consider buying organic concealer as well? It would be good for you and the environment.

• 60 Lynn in Tucson // Nov 13, 2007 at 8:10 am

I have a little, round Salter scale that I got at BB&Beyond with the coupon. I use it mainly for yarn. It converts from grams to ounces and weighs (I think) up to 7 lbs.

I’ve used Almay’s concealer in a tube since high school and always been pretty happy with it. But the rest of my makeup routine hasn’t evolved much, either; it might be time for a change!

• 61 samin // Nov 13, 2007 at 8:50 am

hey megan,

most old-school restaurants rely on analog scales (they don’t need batteries, and don’t waver as much as digital ones). i have one kind of like this and i lovelovelove it.

• 62 kendra // Nov 13, 2007 at 11:58 am

I know you can purchase a scale right from the USPS for weighing packages. Look under shipping/supplies. I don’t know how that would work for baking.

• 63 Andrea // Nov 13, 2007 at 1:28 pm

I have used the Lyin’ Eyes concealer from Benefit for a year now and am very happy with it. I dab it on both blemishes and my eyes and then pat/blend it with a Sonia Kashuk foundation brush – it spreads well, lasts all day, and doesn’t cake or settle into my fine lines.

• 64 Erica // Nov 13, 2007 at 2:35 pm

I use the Bobby Brown eye concealer and corrector and I love it. However, as with all under eye concealers, you definitely need eye cream.

I hate the B&B curl cream. I am a huge fan of Garnier hair products, especially their mouse.

• 65 pam // Nov 13, 2007 at 4:01 pm

just chiming in about the hair. i’ve always been very wary about hair extensions, but i got some (non-jessica simpson) extensions for my wedding at the suggestion of my hair stylist. nobody could tell it wasn’t real. i had it up in a bun. at the end of the night, i let my hair down and nobody could tell. they just thought i had a really great stylist! :)

i think you should go for it!

• 66 lucy // Nov 13, 2007 at 4:33 pm

hated how dry laura mercier’s camo was. hatttedd it for winter even more. YSL touche eclat is the only way to go. definitely worth the extra bucks and lasts forever.

• 67 Shreve // Nov 13, 2007 at 5:25 pm

Yes – quinoa is fabulous. I love cooking it with vegetable broth rather than water, and adding a poblano chile (mild smoky flavor) and a touch of cinnamon to the mix as it cooks. So good. (email me if you want the precise recipe!) And Curl Conscious? The BEST.

• 68 Jen // Nov 14, 2007 at 9:34 am

I like quinoa. I substitute it for bulgur in my tabouleh.

• 69 susan // Nov 15, 2007 at 11:13 am

Seconding the love for Bare Minerals makeup, but not loving it underneath my eyes. People, I am old, and powder under the eyes makes me look even older.

But I can recommend the MAC cream concealer in a little pot. That is good stuff.

• 70 susan // Nov 15, 2007 at 11:14 am

PS–

Studio Finish. That’s the name of the Mac Concealer. (See? I am old. And forgetful.)

• 71 Joy // Nov 15, 2007 at 1:27 pm

MMM…I love quinoa. It’s best to wash it thoroughly at least 5 times to get that bitter taste out. Try adding a tablespoon of butter when you cook it. Yum.

• 72 Kristen // Nov 15, 2007 at 3:04 pm

I got hair extensions for fun. Jessica Simpson ones. I had no intentions to do this but walked in Vain and was laughing at her stupid picture on the box. Then my friend, who works there put them in and HOT DAMN! I needed to have them. So a week later I got them. It’s fun and you can’t even tell. I went to NYC and my hometown in the summer and wore them. No one noticed but I seemed to always out myself. They are great. Seriously

• 73 Jenny // Nov 16, 2007 at 10:11 am

I have tried Laura Mercier, Trish McEvoy, various Benefit products, Nars, Chanel, M.A.C. and any number of drugstore concealer products and I have to say that of them all DERMABLEND rules. You can mix it with oil or concealer if your skin is on the dry side, brush or dab it on with a Q-tip, and it blends perfectly with your skin. It is totally opaque and it will cover up anything. Available at Ulta for about $25 a jar.

There IS a nice Benefit product called Lemon-Aid that is great to counteract purpleness, if you have great honking circles on a given day. The yellow balances the purple out. Please don’t bother with their sparkly Eye-Bright pencil if you have any wrinkles at all — it will only settle into the folds of your crows’ feet and make them all pink and sparkly.

• 74 Courtney // Nov 18, 2007 at 9:40 am

I used that Bumble and Bumble product when my hair was long and I loved it. Now that I’m growing my hair out, I’ll probably start using it again.