links: the home

Eva Solo Magnetic Kitchen Timer, looks so nice, at Popgadget

Neato Piegato Fold Out Steel Shelving at AT:Home Tech

How is the Kone Hand Vac by Karim Rashid really? at AT:Home Tech

How to improve our efforts to winterize our drafty, old apartment? at Ask Metafilter

It’s easy being green at Home By Sunset

DIY Stop Junkmail

Delia’s hat and coat rack at Ikea Hacker

Jar opener at Cool Tools, looks better than my thwack it with the non-sharp side of a knife technique

Swiss Miss on Ecolect a sustainable materials community

LED Balloon Lamps at AT

Glansa Lysa from Ikea via AT. I cannot tell if this is always plugged in or if that is a recharging base – anybody?

Vinyl decal round up at Unclutterer

DIY Wednesdays: refrigerator facelift at Design*Sponge

Foliage Lamp at Better Living Through Design

Tiger Taco at Uncrate. It may look simple/silly but I would have loved to have these durning the last few years when we moved four times.

Where Can I Find a Soundproofing Kit? at AT.

Product that will kill bedbug eggs? at Ask Metafilter

Knicks Cable Holder at AT:Home Tech.

Painting those narrow Ikea shoe storage boxes at Ikea Hacker

· comments [8] · 11-9-2007 · categories:the home ·

• 1 Richard // Nov 9, 2007 at 6:58 am

LOL… my partner is so excited. Sort of a two-degrees-of-separation Not Martha link, as that’s her Metafilter question!

She has a delicious Malaysian curry recipe on her blog now, if anyone is interested. :-)

• 2 Dorre // Nov 9, 2007 at 7:00 am

the glansa lysa is a plug in… hope that helps ;)

• 3 Megling // Nov 9, 2007 at 7:45 am

It cracks me up to see Tiger Tacos getting some press! My neighbor invented them and I used their prototypes when I moved out of my apartment!
    Small world…

p.s. this is my first comment. I ADORE your blog.

• 4 vespabelle // Nov 9, 2007 at 11:21 am

Richard, don’t let your partner buy suspect furniture! I just went to a seminar about bedbugs for landlords and it was scary! (my husband’s property is dealing with them right now.)

Not mentioned in the thread on metafilter is the fact that heat will kill bedbugs and their eggs. So a good heavy duty steaming or treatment with a heat gun will kill the evil critters.

• 5 Richard // Nov 10, 2007 at 7:02 am

Thanks Vespabelle… but our metafilter question was the first one, about saving heat in a drafty apartment!

• 6 Sasha // Nov 10, 2007 at 8:43 am

re: glansa lantern. See my comment at the bottom of the AT page…don’t recommend it at all

• 7 Melanie // Nov 10, 2007 at 12:16 pm

I use a rubber dishwashing glove to open jars. Slip it on your jar-opening hand, hold the jar securely in the other and twist. Voilà! The glove minimizes the pain caused by the friction of the lid on your hand and gives you a better grip.

Although Lee Valley Tools (www.leevalley.com/)do have awesome stuff.

• 8 Monica // Nov 12, 2007 at 6:39 am

I love my scale! It’s a MyWeigh and I like to use it to weigh flour and butter and any baking books that go by weight such as Rose Levy Beranbaum books.