one happy thing, one unhappy thing

Happy: I was sorting through my closet and found this stack of sweaters I’d nearly forgotten about. Some of these are wool and left over from the winters in Cleveland where I was willing to put up with the scratchiness to get some of the warmth (I love the look of wool, for the record). The two red and pink striped ones were found on the same trip to Goodwill where I also found a pink and red striped poncho, it was a pink and red striped day. I’ve washed/dryed felted some of these but have not done anything with the felt yet. Some of these are chunky cotton/acrylic blend sweaters I’m loathe to get rid of because they aren’t itchy, but I’d rather these were cardigans and suspend the belief that some day I will unravel and recycle the yarn.

Unhappy: I got my hair cut yesterday and it’s a good two inches too short. It’ll take me months to grow out. I’m distraught over this and am currently drowning my sorrows in some Vintner’s Gin. To anybody who has ever had to spend months growing out bad hair cuts again and again, this cocktail glass is raised to you.

· comments [25] · 11-8-2007 · categories:mumbling ·

• 1 Carrie // Nov 8, 2007 at 5:46 am

Sorry that your unhappy with your haircut! I just got a bad one on Halloween too, so I can commiserate. It took me a while to realize that I didn’t like it- it’s got these short layers in it that either stick up weird if I curl it or just completely droop by the end of the day. Here’s to our hair growing quick, then.

• 2 Tanya // Nov 8, 2007 at 6:04 am

Never had my hair cut too short, but a hairstylist colored my hair this awful shade of red once. That was 2 years ago and it is still at the tips of my hair. It was really traumatizing. Sorry about your haircut!

• 3 jude // Nov 8, 2007 at 6:07 am

That’s the great thing about hair — it just grows back, so in a few months, a bad cut is just a fading memory, a tiny blip on life’s radar.

Wine and time will cushion every bad cut. :)

• 4 Zoe // Nov 8, 2007 at 6:39 am

well, I’ll drink to that. I’m currently growing out a short do but thankfully over the worst part ;) It’ll not take long to grow back…I think I read somewhere that hair grows (on average) around 0.5 inches per month…so in a couple of months you’ll be half way there!

• 5 Lindsay // Nov 8, 2007 at 6:46 am

i bought that same pink and red striped sweater this past weekend at goodwill for $3. its from express, right?

• 6 jmanna // Nov 8, 2007 at 7:21 am

Sounds like it’s time for Experimenting With Hats! Yes, you heard me. Top of your head make you sad? Make you embarassed? Then at least have some fun. It’s time to knit that adorable hat with kitty ears or the one that looks like a strawberry top. Be a hippy and tie on some flashy scarves. Try out some elegant 40′s hats with netting and feathers. How about a dainty little beaded skull cap like flappers would wear? Or go really retro and try a snood.

If you’re worried about people making judgements about how the top of your head looks then give them something to really comment about.

• 7 stef // Nov 8, 2007 at 7:44 am

i’m sorry to hear about the haircut, i hate it when that happens. right now, mine has grown out too much and i haven’t found the time to head to the salon. i’ll raise a glass to you tonight :)

• 8 Emily // Nov 8, 2007 at 7:54 am

Right back at you, lady. And a pack of bobby pins.

• 9 ginger // Nov 8, 2007 at 8:47 am

I can completely relate. I got my cut this summer and it was at least 2 inches to short and still is too short now, but at least looks better 4 months later. When you are tired of gin (it will take a long time to grow again in winter) try some Buffalo Trace bourbon, delish stuff!

• 10 BrowningtonForest // Nov 8, 2007 at 9:10 am

Oh so sorry about the haircut! I have had many bad experiences. It got to the point where I honestly rather go to the dentist then have my hair cut. I just finally got over my fear. I feel your pain!

• 11 megan // Nov 8, 2007 at 9:28 am

Thanks for the commiseration everybody. While I know it will grow out I seem to get bad haircuts over and over again no matter how well I document and explain what I want. This time was a disappointment because it was by a stylist who gave me a really great cut last time and I’ll I wanted was a trim. Argh.

• 12 marielle // Nov 8, 2007 at 10:51 am

I stopped by my stylist’s this past weekend to get my bangs trimmed, and we were talking about that exact same thing – why is it that you can go to a stylist, get a really great cut once, and then the next time get a terrible cut from the same person? Such a mystery.

If I truly do leave SoCal, the only thing I will really miss is my hairstylist, now that I’ve found a good one.

• 13 Vanessa // Nov 8, 2007 at 12:37 pm

I once had to grow out a bad cut in a hurry for a wedding I was in – prenatal vitamins helped speed it up.

• 14 alison // Nov 8, 2007 at 1:24 pm

Feeling this, as I have spent the last year looking like Carol Brady or a young Billie Jean King or, on very rare occasions, quite chic.

I shaved my head years ago to support a friend going through chemo and since then my attitude towards haircuts has been, “It’ll grow.” I now realize this cavalier attitude was fine when I was 28 but downright dangerous at 37.

All this to say, my condolences on the salon butchery.

• 15 hannah // Nov 8, 2007 at 3:47 pm

Megan,

So sorry about the haircut. Have you tried the zerozero salon on summit and pine? They will work with you to figure it out!

• 16 renée // Nov 8, 2007 at 6:29 pm

oh snap! i have had so many awful haircuts in my day. i’m sorry that happened to you. it will probably look better in a week. for real. hopefully the temperatures are cool enough where you are and you can slap on a hat. hang tough!

• 17 Karen // Nov 9, 2007 at 10:00 am

Oh man, I HATE that. A bad haircut can truly get a gal down. Even worse that you thought you could trust the stylist; such betrayal! May it grow like the wind.

• 18 Krista // Nov 12, 2007 at 6:33 am

Ah, hair. I used to fret so much about bad haricuts. I don’t any more, and I think two things changed. First, I decided to surrender to my hairdresser, and give her only very general instrucitons. That way she is free to do what will work well with my hair, face, glasses, etc. Most of the bad haricuts I have received have been the result of bringing in a photo and saying “do this.” Second, my attitudde has changed, completely. It is just hair, and it will grow back. Plus, I don’t have to look at my hair (most of the time), so as long as it is in some flattering-enough style that is easy to care for I am happy. The particular don’t bother me. Perhaps this is the attitude that brings about fabulous looks like “mom jeans,” but at least I am a lot mellower.

• 19 megan // Nov 12, 2007 at 9:04 am

Krista – Thanks for trying, but this haircut was particularly sad because I was going back to a stylist who had done my last cut and whom I allowed to do what she thought would work best, and I loved that cut. I brought two pictures of myself taken just after that cut, I reminded her how long I wanted it (it was perfect last time), I told her how much I loved it last time and that I just wanted a trim. And then she hacked it off way, way above the length I wanted. I spent all of high school growing out a too short haircut and I’m afraid I have little tolerance for spending another year or two growing my hair out now.

• 20 stephanie // Nov 12, 2007 at 2:35 pm

A bad haircut is an awful thing. I am so sorry.
    Have you thought about taking extra vitamins for hair growth? Not necessarily pre-natal ones – but ones just for hair (& nails usually).

• 21 Vanessa // Nov 12, 2007 at 3:24 pm

Oooh great find! You could make a recycled sweater blanket with those sweaters!

• 22 tami // Nov 13, 2007 at 11:19 pm

I liked the blanket made of sweaters here. Now I just have to collect sweaters and join a church with a harvest fair.

• 23 Karen // Nov 15, 2007 at 1:03 am

I’m just curious; did you tell the stylist that you were unhappy? I never do, always want to.

• 24 megan // Nov 15, 2007 at 9:24 am

Karen, Yes and she apologized profusely. Later a friend told me she should have comped my cut, which only made me angrier.

• 25 Lisa // Nov 16, 2007 at 1:24 pm

The colors look so good together, why don’t you put a “lifeline” (so they don’t unravel)in, cut squares or rectangles and then kitchener stitch back together to make a throw?